Score and Share settings [SOLVED]

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Score and Share settings  [SOLVED]

Postby Cheva » 12 Apr 2015, 21:33

Hello,

This is more of a question but it seems like the best place to ask. The new lobby updates are good to see. Thanks for the work.

My question is about score and Share-settings. I noticed lately that when you host score is on by default. Should score not be off by default ? It is basically cheating as you get free Intel about the other guy without ever having to scout. Not sure why GPG ever even had it in the first place.

The other question is around the share-setting. Full share was on by default although since FAF started most of the default games have been share until death. I won't get into a debate about the option. I think it just makes more sense to have the default share until death so that we have a standard and not people just suiciding their ACU's while 1 strong player gets their base.

Something for discussion on the council maybe.

Chevalier
"Mieux vaut savoir que richesse. "
Cheva
Contributor

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: Chevalier

Re: Score and Share settings

Postby E8400-CV » 12 Apr 2015, 22:16

No, keep it as is.

I don't want my games to be decided by the first disconnect or by killing one unit. For all I care "share until death" gets removed completely. Changing it now will only screw things up because everyone is used to how it now is.
Actually, disconnects due to connection issues or client crashes is the biggest game ender in no-share games. At least in my experience. The dominant 1500+ clique around here will probably have a different experience.

If you want score off; you can set that too. Contrary to the mod-madness, it does not change from one game to the next you host.
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby Cheva » 12 Apr 2015, 22:40

Perhaps but full share means I do Nano ACU every game wreck your base and my better team mate gets the base after I die, as suiciding my ACU is less of a big deal. I don't want to go back to those days. Alternatively I could just T3 ACU drop your base destroy it get killed and you will know anger then :D as my team gets a new base and your base is a wreck.

It is why we implemented 'share until death' in the first place I believe.

Chevalier
"Mieux vaut savoir que richesse. "
Cheva
Contributor

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: Chevalier

Postby E8400-CV » 15 Apr 2015, 06:47

Do that often enough and everyone puts you on foe-list. Was that created for that too?
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Postby ZLO_RD » 15 Apr 2015, 11:44

E8400-CV wrote:Do that often enough and everyone puts you on foe-list. Was that created for that too?

uhm why would anyone put you in foe list for playing good? =\

you can still use combomb on some maps, on canis 4v4 i was at front against Pinky_Zoria, she just build 1 land fac, gave it to ally and walked into my base killed 1 hydro at front and then moved futher and just started to shoot down my pgens and then died...

meanwhile her teammates just rushed TML ACU, and sisnce i was at front, i am the one who supposed to build TMD... was very fast game...
i mean, you can still avoid share until death thing just by giving your 1rst factory and not building anything else... so as soon as you die only that factory gets destroyed
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby E8400-CV » 15 Apr 2015, 18:57

ZLO_RD wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:Do that often enough and everyone puts you on foe-list. Was that created for that too?

uhm why would anyone put you in foe list for playing good? =\

you can still use combomb on some maps, on canis 4v4 i was at front against Pinky_Zoria, she just build 1 land fac, gave it to ally and walked into my base killed 1 hydro at front and then moved futher and just started to shoot down my pgens and then died...

meanwhile her teammates just rushed TML ACU, and sisnce i was at front, i am the one who supposed to build TMD... was very fast game...
i mean, you can still avoid share until death thing just by giving your 1rst factory and not building anything else... so as soon as you die only that factory gets destroyed

Outside the scope of 5x5 land maps people don't particularly like the 5 minute suicide games.
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Postby Sheeo » 15 Apr 2015, 22:01

I do think we should start defaulting score to off.

I think the overall discussion with 'full share' vs 'share until death' is somewhat controversial. Full share has been the 'default' value value for a long time, the only difference now is that the 'set default options' (Was previously Set "ranked" options) now sets this value, whereas before it wouldn't.

I would like to default my own games to share until death, so I think we need to either associate defaults with a players profile, or go back to specially ignoring the share option, when setting default values (I think that's a bit suboptimal).
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Return to Tech Support