Bitdefender detect threat when faf open

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Bitdefender detect threat when faf open

Postby jackherer » 11 Apr 2015, 17:09

since a few day, bitdefender (total security 2015) have security alert, always the same and only when faf is open.
I also notice that if i dont desactivate bitdefender, i have a laggy lobby, i cant pass my mouse on a game and see who is inside. The lobby is a bit buggy and slow.
Here is a screen of the alert. I didnt find much in google about it so if anyone have an idea
Thx
http://s4.postimg.org/qfbm9tpxp/Bitdefender_faf.png
jackherer

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Jackherer

Re: Bitdefender detect threat when faf open

Postby Sheeo » 11 Apr 2015, 17:18

I did some investigation and our normal client definitely doesn't open these webpages by itself. We recently removed advertisement from the what's new page, too.

So this is unfortunately some kind of malware on your client / something in between you and the web that injects these.

Does the what's new page look special in any way?
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby jackherer » 11 Apr 2015, 17:31

The page whats new just load perfectly, ill make some test to see what process else than faf run when i have those alert.
Thx for the answer!
jackherer

Postby Exotic_Retard » 11 Apr 2015, 17:59

hmm i think i seemed to have this problem also - i dont have bit defender, so i just got a laggy lobby - its as if it runs at low FPS for some reason - no other program lags
the lag is kinda strange, seems to be purely graphical - a mouse click event updates it instantly, but scrolling up/down is jittery (because low "fps") typing also lags a lot

interestingly what themes im running changed the performance - the best performance was with a theme i made, and no theme lagged just as bad as some other themes.

i noticed that the lobby doesnt lag at launch - only after it has been running of a while - i also saw that its ram usage increased from ~211mb to 327mb over time :O without switching any tabs. however i couldnt see any trends - the lag was kind of unpredictable - i just thought it was my GPU being messy (we have some history)

after a reinstall of windows (was due anyway) the problem disappeared, except for one time, but i havent seen it since.

not sure if this is the same problem or not but the symptoms are kinda similar. still havent worked out what caused it. i think i ran malwarebytes to see if i had anything but im not sure :/

in any case its gone now.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby jackherer » 11 Apr 2015, 18:25

Yea, i ve also run malwarbyte with no threat, i have a fresh ilstall (maybe 10 days). But what i'm sure of is when i get the 1st antivirus alert, right after faf get laggy.
Now i need to let close faf a few hour to see if i get that alert too... Will see, but i have the same feeling of low fps...
jackherer

Return to Tech Support