Ladder/Server issues

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Ladder/Server issues

Postby Sir Prize » 01 Apr 2015, 12:11

So I've had a few games lately that have just not loaded for me when I'm searching - they're not in my replay vault obviously but they end up on the server - my enemy connects and immediately collects the win. Examples include 3248196 and 3248268 (mildly annoying as both cost me a lot of rating - surely this type of rating loss could be written out of the server like it is for custom games?). I also had connection issues in 3248270, but I think that was a P2P issue, not the server.

The best one, though, is replay ID 3271436 - if you search in the vault for games including yorick you will see this game is called "yorick vs Sir-Prize" but it's between yorick and Anaryl. I was stuck at the "setting up automatch" screen for a looooong time before I aborted. It happened again immediately after with a game that hasn't ended up on the server, but this is getting pretty annoying.

EDIT - To be honest, I'm just getting a lot of server issues in general - maps taking weirdly long to download, permanent loading screens when search mod vault, more crashes or failures to load searches in the replay vault, having to re-FAF to join games or fix these errors etc. Hopefully all Sheeo's good work can come to fruition soon. I don't like to whinge about all the hard work you guys do but I'm going to - it's getting really annoying and burning me out a bit with playing.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Sir-Prize

Re: Ladder/Server issues

Postby yorick » 01 Apr 2015, 16:06

i saw that wierd 3271436 replay as well.
if i recall it right i was stuck in "setting up automatch" for a while, canceled it and searched ladder again ( and got in that game against anaryl).
the names in my local replay are the same and there is no file of that "other game" against sir-prize.
yorick

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: yorick

Postby Sheeo » 01 Apr 2015, 17:05

Sir Prize wrote:So I've had a few games lately that have just not loaded for me when I'm searching - they're not in my replay vault obviously but they end up on the server - my enemy connects and immediately collects the win. Examples include 3248196 and 3248268 (mildly annoying as both cost me a lot of rating - surely this type of rating loss could be written out of the server like it is for custom games?). I also had connection issues in 3248270, but I think that was a P2P issue, not the server.

This shouldn't be happening at all. Do you perhaps have any logs left over?

Sir Prize wrote:The best one, though, is replay ID 3271436 - if you search in the vault for games including yorick you will see this game is called "yorick vs Sir-Prize" but it's between yorick and Anaryl. I was stuck at the "setting up automatch" screen for a looooong time before I aborted. It happened again immediately after with a game that hasn't ended up on the server, but this is getting pretty annoying.

Indeed the code that sets up ladder matches is a bit of a broken state machine. For slow-connections there is a potential for race conditions like this.

Sir Prize wrote:EDIT - To be honest, I'm just getting a lot of server issues in general - maps taking weirdly long to download, permanent loading screens when search mod vault, more crashes or failures to load searches in the replay vault, having to re-FAF to join games or fix these errors etc. Hopefully all Sheeo's good work can come to fruition soon. I don't like to whinge about all the hard work you guys do but I'm going to - it's getting really annoying and burning me out a bit with playing.

We should see general speedups for the lobbyconnection (game/player information, joining games) and game connection with this network update, but downloading maps should definitely not be slow. Can you confirm that this happens only when downloading using the client?
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby Sir Prize » 02 Apr 2015, 04:09

Unfortunately I only ever seem to see these games that I don't connect to after I've played again and notice I've taken a rating hit or there's another game in the vault with my name on it after searching and getting a game etc - is there a way to find the old logs? I'll do it when I get home from work if I can. Would these non-games even generate logs?

So the game with p2p issues was with Anaryl, so I don't know if that affected the weird yorick vs me/Anaryl game. I also tried to redownload cobalt valley after that non-game, which is when I had uber slow map download. I know this is also an issue for others - I was talking to partytime and was shocked when his 11(?) mb/s connection took a minute to download Seraphim Outpost while I got it in 15 seconds on 7mb/s. However I'd never personally had this slow downloading of a map issue before until last night when I edited the OP here.

I think it's also pretty odd yorick doesn't have the replay in his vault - is there a clue in that? Neither Anaryl or me appear in the list of players when you search for that replay - is it looks like yorick sandboxed a game when you search it in the client, if that makes sense.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Postby Sheeo » 02 Apr 2015, 07:11

Sir Prize wrote:Unfortunately I only ever seem to see these games that I don't connect to after I've played again and notice I've taken a rating hit or there's another game in the vault with my name on it after searching and getting a game etc - is there a way to find the old logs? I'll do it when I get home from work if I can. Would these non-games even generate logs?

As long as your game starts, there will be an associated game.log file, even if it isn't there, forever.log will detail that it was launched and some details about that.

Sir Prize wrote:So the game with p2p issues was with Anaryl, so I don't know if that affected the weird yorick vs me/Anaryl game. I also tried to redownload cobalt valley after that non-game, which is when I had uber slow map download. I know this is also an issue for others - I was talking to partytime and was shocked when his 11(?) mb/s connection took a minute to download Seraphim Outpost while I got it in 15 seconds on 7mb/s. However I'd never personally had this slow downloading of a map issue before until last night when I edited the OP here.

This is most likely the client being a bit silly. It will use the main UI thread to download files in a busy loop.

Sir Prize wrote:I think it's also pretty odd yorick doesn't have the replay in his vault - is there a clue in that? Neither Anaryl or me appear in the list of players when you search for that replay - is it looks like yorick sandboxed a game when you search it in the client, if that makes sense.

Yes, it looks like the the game-player information for the game is borked, only one result was uploaded to the database.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby Sir Prize » 02 Apr 2015, 09:01

Here's the forever.log, hope it helps!

EDIT: This error is really interesting
Code: Select all
2015-04-01 22:12:44,500 WARNING  faf.fa.maps          Unable to find the .scmap for: scmp_015.v0001, was looking here: C:\Users\Peter\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\Maps\scmp_015.v0001\scmp_015.scmap
because I never get a thumbnail for Isis (this is a long term issue, like there's nothing in my cache), and one of the games that failed to load was on Isis (this is a recent issue). I just looked in there and while there are a couple of .pngs for client and lobby previews, everything else in there is labelled "SCMP_041.xxx" so that's weird...

E2: I was going to re-download but the FoI Big in the vault has not been played and only downloaded 13 times, so it can't be the right one. Why the hell we don't use the GPG version of this map (and Four-Leaf Clover) on the ladder is beyond me - it just makes them unsearchable in the vault as far as I can see.

E3: link to the folder... https://www.dropbox.com/s/eswevxjge3brg ... 1.zip?dl=0
Attachments
forever.log
(135.65 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Return to Tech Support