Constant crashes [SOLVED]

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Constant crashes

Postby TestPlay » 21 Feb 2015, 15:23

Yup...I am having exactly the same problem too...

Hopefully this problem gets resolved soon...as it was much better before...or it can be difficult to play...
TestPlay

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: TestPlay

Postby Crotalus » 21 Feb 2015, 15:48

People need to be more specific what they mean about crashes & unhandled exceptions.

That the current lobby crashes alot is nothing new, it has always been buggy and currently it's being refactored (7000 lines of codes is down to 5000 next version). I would guess the next release will be much more stable.

As to game crashes, I've not seen many of those personally. To investigate further we need more complete information about the setup, such as:

* game.log
* replay-id
* Sim mods?
* Dual screen?
* Crash to desktop or sim hang?

Some people are probably running OC cpus or having some bad memory causing random bitflips in long games, this would manifest as a crash to desktop.
Crotalus
Priest

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 102 times
FAF User Name: Crotalus

Postby tatsu » 21 Feb 2015, 21:45

Crotalus wrote:
* game.log
* replay-id
* Sim mods?
* Dual screen?
*Some people are probably running OC cpus or having some bad memory causing random bitflips in long games, this would manifest as a crash to desktop.

personally none of these: as i said I turned off dual screen after a quick test just to realize that it was virtually guaranteed to crash at some point in the game. I'm about to leave germany now so it's too late for crashlog but i'll do it as soon as I'm back on my own computer, promise.

generally there are 8 player games with high apm or just big queues of buildings.

sim hang and crash to desktop both (the simhang comes in both with bugsplat and without bugsplat flavors) So that's what I'm saying there's no binary answer to that question, it's just every type of crash imaginable, you could say FA is getting an artistic and creative streak, it doesn't want to conform to a norm.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Re: Constant crashes  [SOLVED]

Postby Sheeo » 21 Feb 2015, 23:00

tatsu wrote:sim hang and crash to desktop both (the simhang comes in both with bugsplat and without bugsplat flavors) So that's what I'm saying there's no binary answer to that question, it's just every type of crash imaginable, you could say FA is getting an artistic and creative streak, it doesn't want to conform to a norm.

If the bugsplat screen shows up you got an unhandled exception and a core dump will be included, which means the sim didn't hang.

It's pretty straight forward: these crashes occur because of undocumented preconditions for the engine API, there's not really anything artistic about it, and we only have hope of fixing anything if we get full documentation of what happened just up to the crash.

I'll refer to Gorton's amendment to the top post in the tech support section: http://forums.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4648#p94227
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Previous

Return to Tech Support