Connection Issues [SOLVED]

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Connection Issues

Postby kubkolienka » 08 Feb 2015, 16:39

Hi.
I have strange problem. Whenever I try to host a game, join to a game and even start singleplayer skirmish! the lobby shows dialog "connecting..." and all I can do is abort the game. If I try to connect to a hosted game, I can see chat, I can write to the chat, but I dont see players, their faction color position ...

I can watch replays.

I tried to reinstall faf, rebooted computer, rebooted router + modem, turned off firewall, changed game port, tried upnp and nothing works...

Everything was working, until I recovered my os/faf partition and installed newest Faf client. I tried to reinstall faf and clearing programdata and my documents/My games/... but nothing helped. Although client still remembers my credentials so maybe there is a way to do "cleaner" reinstall.

Thanks for help

Kubo
Attachments
forever.log
(243.7 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
kubkolienka

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: kubkolienka

Re: Connection Issues

Postby ckitching » 08 Feb 2015, 17:36

Could you provide a game log, as well as the forever.log?

A workaround might be to use a new game profile, but your clearing of data suggests this might not work. It seems likely there'll be a useful error in the log that'll shed some more light on the problem.
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Postby kubkolienka » 08 Feb 2015, 18:09

Sorry I thought game log would be irrelevant when I cannot start any game. My bad.
I dont know what you mean by new profile. I removed files from programdata/faforever but client still remembers me, even after reinstall.
Attachments
game.log
(68.68 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
kubkolienka

Re: Connection Issues  [SOLVED]

Postby ckitching » 08 Feb 2015, 21:51

It looks like something has written an invalid value to the "LastFaction" field of your profile.
Since that key has since been renamed, such poisoned data will stop being a problem in the next revision. For now, you'll need to manually edit the bad key out of your profile.

You can do this by navigating to C:\Users\your_windows_username\AppData\Local\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and editing the "Game.prefs" file with a text editor.
Find all the lines that look like "LastFaction = X". If X is anything other than a number between 0 and 5 (inclusive), that's your problem.

If you find such a line, either delete it or put the number back into range.
ckitching

Postby kubkolienka » 08 Feb 2015, 22:50

Thank you very much.
It was exactly as you said. I had last faction = 6, so I changed it and now everything is ok.

Thank you once again.
kubkolienka

Postby ckitching » 08 Feb 2015, 22:58

Sudden thought:

Have you ever played a "Nomads" game? (Or a game with another mod that adds a new faction)

... That'd definitely explain where the value came from.
ckitching

Postby kubkolienka » 08 Feb 2015, 23:18

well thats possible I had nomands. I wanted to say that I almost never played them, and definetily no last 20 games, but I have no idea to what stage I had recover my partionion in relevance to FAF. Maybe I played nomads as last game and then backuped partition.
kubkolienka

Return to Tech Support