Repeated downloads of assets before replays

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Repeated downloads of assets before replays

Postby Milos Obilic » 16 Jul 2020, 14:47

Hiya,

Each time I select a match for replay, the FAF system re-downloads the same assets (such as ForgedAlliance.exe) again and again. Is this normal? It's wasted time. It doesn't look like there's a check whether a re-download is needed. Or is this some setting somewhere where I can change it?
Milos Obilic

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Milos_Obilic

Re: Repeated downloads of assets before replays

Postby ZLO_RD » 16 Jul 2020, 14:53

it should not download same thing every time. If replays are from different game versions then it will download stuff each time you watch a replay that has different version from previosly watched replay...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby vongratz » 16 Jul 2020, 14:59

Older replays ever led to that.
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Milos Obilic » 16 Jul 2020, 15:58

I see, that makes sense. Thank you.
Milos Obilic

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Milos_Obilic

Postby R_Charger » 16 Jul 2020, 22:45

Can the files not be kept and swapped around or used for the appropriate replay rather than having to redownload them every time if you change from one FAF version to another? Or would this just cause massive file bloat? (one could cap it so you could only have say 5 versions downloaded at a time).
R_Charger

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Reckless_Charger

Postby vongratz » 17 Jul 2020, 00:07

R_Charger wrote:Can the files not be kept and swapped around or used for the appropriate replay rather than having to redownload them every time if you change from one FAF version to another? Or would this just cause massive file bloat? (one could cap it so you could only have say 5 versions downloaded at a time).

Fatally the Murphy's law :o would act and mess all.
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby armacham01 » 17 Jul 2020, 14:52

R_Charger wrote:Can the files not be kept and swapped around or used for the appropriate replay rather than having to redownload them every time if you change from one FAF version to another? Or would this just cause massive file bloat? (one could cap it so you could only have say 5 versions downloaded at a time).

It would be best if the client did this. There are not actually THAT many different versions of vanilla FAF. The FAF patch notes site (https://content.faforever.com/patchnotes/index.html) indicates there are only 11 versions since 2015. (There are too many Beta versions to count).

When you try to open an old replay (with an outdated version) the client should offer you the option to permanently download that patch so you don't have to re-download it ever AND so you don't have to re-download the current patch when you want to play. This would allow players to decide for themselves if they want to take up hard drive space with that (if it's not much space, maybe it should just be part of FAF to always get all 11 patches)

FURTHER, when you try to open an old replay, the client should give you three options: (1) play the replay with your currently-selected modlist even though they might be broken (2) play the replay with all UI mods disabled (3) play the replay only with "recommended" UI mods (which would be the appropriate versions of Supreme Score Board and perhaps a mod like Better Reclaim View, if there was a working version from that era). I'd prefer not to have to disable my UI mods every time i want to watch an old replay.

This would make it very convenient to watch old replays. EVENTUALLY perhaps we will set up a system of curated replays, including very old ones, such as "all Legend of the Stars 2016 games." Or just "Games from 2016 that people thought were much more interesting than the average game" and it would be nice if we could watch those replays easily without messing with our mods or downloading/redownloading files.

It would be good if we could have a sense of history regarding the best games from the past. And also I'd like to watch some of my old ladder matches for the sake of nostalgia without so much hassle.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby R_Charger » 17 Jul 2020, 22:06

What difference does it make what ui mods you have enabled? Never matters for me
R_Charger

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Reckless_Charger

Return to Tech Support