Can't link steam acct; was linked to vanished old FAF acct [SOLVED]

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Can't link steam acct; was linked to vanished old FAF acct

Postby NertNert » 05 Jul 2020, 18:05

In an effort to make what I hope is more sense out of that subject line, I had an account here on FAF that I have not logged into since probably 2018. That account was successfully liked to steam and I played a handful of games here back in 2017 or so. I tried to log into that account and by all indications it appears to have vanished. So I set up a new account. I cannot get it to link to steam. The "download" tab flashes a message at the bottom of the screen that is way too fast to read, and then..... nothing. Closing and re-opening the client just gives me the "unfortunately'...." message again. Rebooting has had no effect, although it did fix the "it appears you don't to own FAF" message I was getting before that. The old client was uninstalled, and a new one downloaded, prior to generating the new account.
I do have the FAF client installed in a custom location (I have a NVME boot drive and a conventional hard drive). And as mentioned, I had already linked this same steam account to a different FAF account.
Of course I have searched the forums here, without success. Any help would be appreciated.
PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO MAKE MY STEAM PROFILE PUBLIC.
NertNert

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: NertNert

Re: Can't link steam acct; was linked to vanished old FAF ac

Postby NertNert » 05 Jul 2020, 19:28

Additional info: FAF was added to my steam account via the "add a non-steam game" option, as I have the DVD version. In the steam client, the library shows the game. However when I log into steam on a browser and select "games", FAF isn't there. FAF is a leggo-my-arm $2.59 in the steam store as I type this, does anyone know if I can solve the problem by just buying it again?

EDIT: Bought the game through steam. Attempted to link again. This time, the "sign in through steam" link gives me "Error: Access token expired". Anyone?
NertNert

Postby ZLO_RD » 06 Jul 2020, 12:05

NertNert wrote:link gives me "Error: Access token expired". Anyone?

Usually this error means that you need to try again... maybe token has really expired... whatever that means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby NertNert » 09 Jul 2020, 05:18

Rebooted, cleared cookies, different browsers, nothing works. Thanks for trying, ZLO_RD... Uninstalling.
NertNert

Re: Can't link steam acct; was linked to vanished old FAF ac  [SOLVED]

Postby NertNert » 18 Jul 2020, 02:50

Re-installed client and tried again and it worked. No explanation. Could y'all not delete my account for inactivity this time? Yes, I'm well aware that no one that is capable of doing that, or, rather, not doing that is reading this. Posting this in hopes that it helps someone else. Have a nice day.
NertNert

Postby Brutus5000 » 18 Jul 2020, 10:56

We only delete inactive accounts if they never ever played a game.
Sorry about the Steam link issue. A lot of people have this problem but I couldn't reproduce it so far.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Return to Tech Support