Can't connect to servers with home wifi

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Can't connect to servers with home wifi

Postby pero020 » 09 Jun 2020, 01:09

Hello everyone!

i bought FA a year ago and played it for a while with the FAF client when suddenly I couldn't connect to the server. I was stuck in "Logging in" that would last forever so after a lot of tral and error I gave up. A couple of days ago i remembered the game, downloaded everything fresh and tryed again and I am still stuck in login but I get a message "Lost connection to the server during login" after 30ish seconds. Account info is fine since I can login to the FAF website. I tried many things and came to a conclusion after a test. I could normaly login and play if my pc was connected to my phones hotspot internet, but couldn't login while on my home wifi. I allowed FAF client true Firewall and it didn't do any good. Could my wifi network be banned from the servers somehow or a similar problem? I played the game for about 20 hours and didn't do anything I could think of to get my wifi banned from the server. I am new here so please tell me if more info is needed or if I should look for help elsewhere.

FAF client log is attached

Thank you for any help,
Pero

downlords-faf-client.log
(11.76 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
pero020

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: pero020

Re: Can't connect to servers with home wifi

Postby Brutus5000 » 10 Jun 2020, 23:04

I assume in both cases (LAN and wifi) you are behind the same router? In that case from the FAF end you have the same ip address.
The FAF client connects via a custom tcp protocol to the lobby server. Your problem might related to a firewall issue on your notebook or on your router.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby pero020 » 13 Jun 2020, 19:01

Desktop PC + home wifi doesn't work,
Desktop PC + mobile hotspot wifi works,
Laptop + home wifi doesn't work
Laptop + mobile wifi (and I would assume any other wifi) works

My home wifi is clearly the problem, but do you know any way I could fix it?
pero020

FAF User Name: pero020

Postby Brutus5000 » 14 Jun 2020, 15:00

Sorry I misread your first post. Did you ever try with a regular lan cable instead of wifi?
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby YouTheNoob » 03 Aug 2020, 20:06

Doesn't look like anyone helped you here...

Here's my thoughts:

- Have you changed any settings on your router? It might be that there is a built in firewall that is blocking ports? I had one block my VPN server.
- What is your home connection? What provider are you with? You arent in a student hall thats managing it are you?
- Have your tried a wired connection? You shouldnt play online with Wifi since its unreliable. Mirowaves, baby monitors and other hotspots can mess it up.
- Check your firewall in windows and also check your anti virus isnt blocking it. Ive seen a few instances where antivirus has been a bit overzealous.
- Have you tried running the game as another user account on your machine? It could be some software is using the same ports as FAF.
YouTheNoob

FAF User Name: YouTheNoob

Return to Tech Support