I can't get passed the 'Connecting...' page

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

I can't get passed the 'Connecting...' page

Postby Freelance9 » 28 May 2020, 03:11

Hi. I am having trouble with connecting to games. I played a game this morning with no issue, however I am trying to play with a friend and cannot connect to their game. I will select their game in the client, it will start the game, I will see the 'Connecting...' page, and get stuck there until I abort connection. If I host a game, I can create the game, it takes me to the lobby, I can see that my friend is trying to connect, but they get stuck in the 'Connecting...' page. They are able to join other games, but I cannot. I have restarted my computer, uninstalled and reinstalled both the game and downlords client. I am using client version 1.1.7. I have made sure my fire wall lets both the game and the client through. It looks like no one else is having this problem, so it's probably something simple. Does anyone have any advice?
Attachments
ice-adapter.log
(62.18 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
downlords-faf-client.log
(6.76 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
game.log
(36.2 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by Freelance9 on 04 Jun 2020, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Freelance9

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Freelance009

Re: I can't get passed the 'Connecting...' page

Postby Uveso » 28 May 2020, 05:14

Client log looks good.

Game log shows a strange error:
Code: Select all
info: Can't add chat text -- no chat display

This happens if "GUI.chatDisplay" variable is empty or not existent

Please start a game in singleplayer and look where your chat is.
In case there is no chat please delete your game.prefs file. (make a backup!)
C:\Users\YOURWINDOWSNAME\AppData\Local\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\Game.prefs

If deleting the pref file fixed your problem use your backup and check (or delete) the following tables:
            chatoptions = {
                true,
                feed_background = false,
                allies_color = 2,
                link_color = 4,
                priv_color = 3,
                font_size = 14,
                feed_persist = true,
                win_alpha = 1,
                all_color = 1,
                links = true,
                fade_time = 15
            },

chat_window = {
                top = 484,
                bottom = 736,
                right = 542,
                left = 0
            },
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Freelance9 » 28 May 2020, 19:21

First off, thank you for the quick reply! I went ahead and checked where the chat box was by starting a game with just myself. I've attached a screen shot of where it shows up. To my knowledge that is where is always has been. I went ahead and removed the 'Game.prefs' file anyways (making a backup first). I attempted to get into random game in the client lobby, and I got in... After a minute and 42 seconds (i timed it). I jumped out and attempted to get into two different random game and waited over five minutes each before giving up and hitting cancel. I tried to get into the 'game.prefs' file to check those tables you talked about, but I don't have a program that can read it. What program would you recommend? Any other ideas on whats going on?
Attachments
chat box location.png
chat box location.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 875 times
Freelance9

Postby Freelance9 » 28 May 2020, 19:30

Update. I was able to open the file with Microsoft notepad. Upon reading both the newly made file and my original, I cannot find the section called 'chatoptions', nor can I find 'Chat_window'. I cannot attach the file unfortunately. I have been able to connect to a few games since the first time I've tried, but it always take 2+ minutes and I've only been successful about a quarter of the time. Once I'm in the lobby it takes more time before I connect to the rest of the players. Is it just my connection? I am hard wired into my modem, with a 300mbps plan. Speed tests show ~230mbps most of the time. My CPU rating is consistently between 200 and 230. Any advice would be appreciated.
Freelance9

Postby Uveso » 29 May 2020, 05:07

The simplest ways to edit files is to download and use the programm "Notepad++"
If you need to post files, use the webpage "pastebin.com". Insert your tet there ans only post us the link.

If you have deleted your prefs file, then you should create a player profile inside the game before you play online.
(this should also create the chat tables)

Just start the game by doubleclick the exe:
C:\ProgramData\FAForever\bin\ForgedAlliance.exe

Create your profile, exit the game and try to go online.

Then post client and game.log again.
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Freelance9 » 02 Jun 2020, 18:50

I deleted the latest game.prefs file and opened the forgedalliance.exe to create a profile. Once done I opened the client and found there was a new update. I updated the client to version 1.1.8. I still can't establish a connection to other players. My friend keeps 'timing out' when he tries to connect to me. I've attached the two logs again. While grabbing them I found that I seem to have a number of downlords faf client logs with dates and the file ending '"gz." at the end. My Ice adapter log folder has the same thing. Is that supposed to be there?
Attachments
ice-adapter.log
(62.18 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
game.log
(38.49 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
downlords-faf-client.log
(2.89 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Freelance9

Return to Tech Support