Launch Failed [SOLVED]

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Launch Failed  [SOLVED]

Postby SanguisAter » 23 May 2020, 18:23

Hi!

during the writing of this post, I hunted down this problem. However, I suspect that there is a bug in the client, as it used one path for downloading the maps and another one for playing. I suspect that this is related to this thread:
/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17449
edit: If you want me to, I can post there a link to this thread or something.

While this is solved for me, some other people might benefit from me posting this. Enjoy!

So what is the issue here:
When I launch 1v1 ranked match and the screen with "setting up automatch..." shows up, I get (in the upper left corner) "Launch Failed" message.
This happens only like 10-20% of the time and my initial thinking was that it is just a thing that happens to everybody, maybe because the matchmaker failed or that someone just disconnected.

However, as it turns out, it is an issue on my end. The game launches for the other person, there are even replays in the vault for example with id = 11791682.

While I thought that this is normal I just accepted the thing, but as it turns out it makes the experience worse for the other players and silently lowers my rating :(
And so here I am :)

I tried not to be lazy, I searched the forums and read those "before posting" topics first.
I came to this topic (is there a better way to refer to a topic?):
/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17627
I am not entirely convinced that what he says will help me, and even if, it might be interesting on its own to understand what exactly is wrong.

And so I went on a hunt, to find out what might be wrong:
First I have taken a look at a list of my replays, focusing on those that are <10s long. While browsing those for a while, I had a sense that something is clearly wrong...
...And as it turns out, I have never seen those maps before!
For example, Polar Depression, I haven't played it, not a single time. So I tried to launch the 6s replay of me failing to connect to the game and guess what? The replay does not launch either! Suspicious...
I tried to make a custom game, picked Polar Depression from the client. Not entirely surprisingly the map defaulted to the other one. As it turned out PD was not even on the list in the lobby. Hmm...
Maybe some maps (Polar Depression is not the only culprit here) got corrupted during downloading? So I went to the map folder, moved PD directory to some other place, and launched one of the replays. Well, PD is again downloaded in the map folder but the replay, unfortunately, does not work. I think this also rules out (at least some of) the permission problems. Let's take a look at the logs from playing a replay of PD:
client logs:
Code: Select all
... Downloading replay 11791682 from https:
... Updating binaries to 3714
... Starting Forged Alliance with command:
... Forged Alliance terminated with exit code 0
... Ignoring call to ICE adapter as we are not connected: quit([])

Well, that was not that useful... what about game logs? This is what I found at the bottom:
Code: Select all
info: Background task "Map loader /maps/polar_depression.v0003/polar_depression.scmap" finished.
warning: map /maps/polar_depression.v0003/polar_depression.scmap failed.  aborting session.

Really... :/ Nothing much useful in the rest of the logs... ech.
But wait! why client opens this path for map folder:
C:\Users\qq\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps

instead of:
D:\Users\qq\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps
Oh... I have all maps in C: path, but Polar Depression is missing from D: path! Oh!

This might be related to this topic (I haven't read it all though):
/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17449
I followed advice there to switch "Use fallback vault location..." in the client settings and it works!
SanguisAter

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: SanguisAter

Return to Tech Support