Download Loop

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Download Loop

Postby Monkky » 10 Feb 2020, 01:36

Hello,

Today I downloaded the client from a clean slate. I linked it to my steam account and game location as is normal. Upon attempting to search for a ranked game the message "Preparing game: Downloading faforever.faf" in the bottom left corner. I assume this is a normal process where it then proceeds over the next 1.5hrs (thanks github :D) to download env.nx2 textures.nx2 and units.nx2. I go back thinking everything completed correctly and hit play, I am then greeted by the same message before and for the next 1.5hrs the client downloads exactly the same files. I was quite perplexed and after these 3 hours of trying to access FAF through the client I attempt to access "ForgedAlliance.exe" directly from C:>ProgramData>FAForever>bin>ForgedAlliance.exe. This works and FAF opens perfectly, I am able to go into a skirmish and all non-standard colors are available and everything functions as normal. I then close my game, close my client, and launch my client again to try and to play ranked. Nope. Same downloads and everything... Hmmmmm I think I should uninstall and re-install.....

I do this and once again I am greeted by the same download regime as before. After the 1.5 hours, I come back and try to play ranked but it then tries to download all of the same files. I then check under C:>ProgramData>FAForever>gamedata in order to see if the files are really there. I then notice that all of the .nx2 files are already present in the gamedata folder, I think hmm maybe it is just not reading them so I close the client and re-launch but to no avail, it begins to download the same files again. I think wow that's weird am I just in a loop? I decided to close the client and delete the bin and gamedata folders from the C:>ProgramData>FAForever directory. When I re-launch the client and try to play I assume that the client will check for these folders, realize they are gone and attempt to re-download the data. This is exactly what the client does and I wait the 1.5 hours once more expecting that somehow it was just not reading the data correctly or it had the wrong location or something. Yet after doing this, when I attempt to hit "Play" I am once more greeted by the client trying to download data that I can see already exists under its directory.

At this point I am perplexed and uninstall everything from my computer, restart my computer and try to download again for about the 5th time by now. I turn off windows firewall and go through the whole installation process. 1.5 hours later... Play... "downloading env.nx2"... I go check in C:>ProgramData>FAForever>gamedata... and it already exists... I am so confused and would really love the ability to play some FAF...

To summarize, Faf WILL launch when launched from the exe in C:>ProgramData>FAForever>bin
FAF will NOT launch when attempting to access the lobby from the 1.1.2 client.
the data can be found in the directory at C:>ProgramData>FAForever>gamedata, however, the client still tries to download it and will not launch even when the folders have been deleted and reinstalled.

Thank you all, I have seen little mention of any issue similar to this on the forums and have attached my log in the hope that this can be fixed.

Thanks,
-MonKKy
Attachments
downlords-faf-client.log
Log-data
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Monkky

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: MonKKy

Re: Download Loop

Postby TheGrandMann » 25 Apr 2020, 16:13

I am having the same problem, 2 of my friends downloaded everything at the same time, fresh installs for both Forged alliance on steam and the client. Theirs works but mine is broken. it continues to download everything each time I try and join a game, over and over again.
TheGrandMann

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TheGrandMann

Return to Tech Support