Unable to login

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Unable to login

Postby Lycanthorph » 29 Jul 2019, 19:06

About a year ago, a friend recommended me Supreme Commander, specifically the Forged Alliance expansion.
He also recommended me to install FAF as it allows people to play online.
So, I downloaded FAF, made an account, but for some reason I couldn't log in with the application basically being stuck at "Logging in..."
At first, I thought it was because I didn't link my account to my Steam account and didn't have a proper copy of SC:FA.
So I've decided to wait until I have a copy of SC:FA on Steam to try again.
Fast forward until about a week ago when I finally managed to get a copy of SC:FA on Steam.
I've linked my FAF account to my Steam account and also downloaded the new version of FAF.
Still the same issue. I've had a look at the app log myself and it seems to either connect and disconnect immediately before trying again (and then repeating the same problem over and over again) or simply not being able to connect in the first place and trying to reconnect (again, over and over again) which leaves it stuck on "Logging in..."
Attachments
downlords-faf-client.log
(27.31 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Lycanthorph

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Lycanthorph

Re: Unable to login

Postby PhilipJFry » 29 Jul 2019, 19:32

just adding the error from your log so people can find it via the search in the future
Spoiler: show
Code: Select all
2019-07-28 12:46:12.874  INFO 11220 --- [Thread-11] c.f.client.remote.FafServerAccessorImpl  : Trying to connect to FAF server at lobby.faforever.com:8001
2019-07-28 12:46:34.308  WARN 11220 --- [Thread-11] c.f.client.remote.FafServerAccessorImpl  : Lost connection to FAF server, trying to reconnect in 3s

java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
   at java.base/java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.connect0(Native Method) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at com.faforever.client.remote.FafServerAccessorImpl$1.call(FafServerAccessorImpl.java:238) [downlords-faf-client-0.10.7.jar:0.10.7]
   at com.faforever.client.remote.FafServerAccessorImpl$1.call(FafServerAccessorImpl.java:225) [downlords-faf-client-0.10.7.jar:0.10.7]
   at javafx.graphics/javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Unknown Source) [javafx.graphics:na]
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [na:na]
   at javafx.graphics/javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$6(Unknown Source) [javafx.graphics:na]
   at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) ~[na:na]
   at javafx.graphics/javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$7(Unknown Source) [javafx.graphics:na]
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
   at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]

have you tried using a different connection to log in (hotspot with a mobile device) or using a different pc/notebook to rule out an issue with your machine/isp?
can you do a tracert to lobby.faforever.com and post the result
open your command line via windows+r -> cmd -> enter and then use
tracert lobby.faforever.com
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Lycanthorph » 29 Jul 2019, 19:47

I'll try the 'hotspot with a mobile device' solution.
Haven't yet tried it on a different machine, but I'm suspecting it might be something to do with my router. From what I've read online, this specific router I have from my ISP either has no port forwarding options or it does, but it's very limited (if that matters at all).
As for tracert, it just quits once it gets to #10. That's not a good thing, is it?
Lycanthorph

Postby PhilipJFry » 29 Jul 2019, 20:05

can you post a screenshot of the tracert?
i didn't need 10 hops to get to the server so i have no idea about the return you got

port forwarding is not required to log in (and also not to play since the deployment of the ice adapter)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby Lycanthorph » 29 Jul 2019, 20:25

Now it quits at #9
Lycanthorph

Postby PhilipJFry » 29 Jul 2019, 21:03

that's actually just one hop before you should get to our server (hetzner is our provider)
copy from my last two hops:
  7    26 ms    25 ms    27 ms  ex9k1.dc11.fsn1.hetzner.com [213.239.203.146]
  8    24 ms    28 ms    25 ms  brackman.slm.faforever.com [148.251.238.131]

maybe one of the devs/admins has an idea why you get stuck right before you should get to the server...
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby Lycanthorph » 29 Jul 2019, 21:10

I can never see what the last hop is connecting to since the tracer program quits just as it's listing off the last hop
Lycanthorph

Postby Katharsas » 29 Jul 2019, 21:33

Before clicking, can you try to select the Test Server in the dropdown and then click login?
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby Lycanthorph » 29 Jul 2019, 22:02

Tried it, same result.
Lycanthorph

Postby Lycanthorph » 30 Jul 2019, 17:23

Haven't tried the hotspot method as I'm not really able to do it properly.
Haven't tried installing it on another machine either since the other machine is also connected to the same network.
However, I did try using a VPN just to test if I could log in and I was able to log in fairly quickly.
Lycanthorph

Next

Return to Tech Support