Help With Port Forwarding / Firewall

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Help With Port Forwarding / Firewall

Postby eRasus73 » 07 Mar 2019, 01:35

VPN didnt make me succeed.
I am gonna test with mobile phone connection, and test my computer at a friends house who has a different isp and router.
Thanks for all your help. I'll keep updating this thread as soon I could try out my ideas. Right now I feel frustrated with nothing working at all. I really hope someone comes around the corner with the thing I missed out.

Cheers,
eRasus73
eRasus73

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: eRasus73

Re: Help With Port Forwarding / Firewall

Postby eRasus73 » 10 Mar 2019, 16:45

[Update]

Me and my friend got VPN to work... kind of. When I connect to FAF Client through the VPN my friend is running, I finally get on public connection, also seem's like I should be able to play games without issues. With the only exception that I cannot connect to my friend anymore when we join games, even tho we both use different ports and they are forwarded correctly. I am gonna play a few games through VPN to see if the connection issues to players in mid of games are now solved or better.

What we also found out, that my ISP is actually bad. I am not on a direct connection to the internet. In fact, I am on a subnet of my ISP which then connects to the internet somewhere else. We found this out due to my router showing me a public IP Adress (100.65.15.xxx and thats not my local network adress range at all, I have 192.168.178.xxx on all machines in my net) different from what websites like whatismyip.com show (62.176.242.xxx).
There for I could have forwarded any ports and it wouldn't work since the ports are not handled correctly on their subnet. At least I guess so.

I opend a support ticket at the helpdesk of my ISP, maybe they can help me out with this issue.

Me and my friend followed this guide Port forward to VPN Client? to forward the Ports to the VPN correctly. After doing that I am on public connection, but my game.log still show's a weird random port everytime I host or join games, while my client.log shows 6112. My friend is using a different port (6115) and its also forwarded to his computer correctly. The VPN Server is inside a subnet of his home-local network, running on a Raspberry Pi with Debian which is connected to his Router, not having access to the local network my friends PC is in.

If anyone has an idea to fix the VPN/forwarding issue for the new problem, I'd really love to get some help here.
eRasus73

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: eRasus73

Previous

Return to Tech Support