Virus on FAF serverside

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Virus on FAF serverside

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 09 Dec 2018, 02:52

I found a Trojan on my rig a couple of times now leading to the FAF file tree. This one picked up directly on fresh install after a clean wipe of all FAF, downlords/ supcom files.

I think someone should take a look on your server-side to see if there may have been a mass comprimise.

Spy_Emanciator
Spy_Emanciator

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times
FAF User Name: Spy_Emanciator

Re: Virus on FAF serverside

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 09 Dec 2018, 03:02

So upon further investigation it looks like FAF is so anal- retentive about smurf creation they are using something resembling a virus to prevent it. (Unique ID)

Smurfs are always going to happen so just give new accounts a 600 and calm down about it. No need to be intrusive over something commonplace in the competitive gaming scene.

The link to steam account was the correct way to monetize on this but has been busted for over 3 years now.
Spy_Emanciator

Postby PhilipJFry » 09 Dec 2018, 08:11

Hello Spy_Emanciator!

The UID-Check is part of our smurf prevention system and as far as we know McAfee is the only antivirus system that recognizes it as a threat.
The steam linking system works just fine. It is mandatory for new users at the moment and for the last few months i have not seen a single instance where someone was unable to link their faf account to steam that wasn't related to a user related problem such as not owning the game on steam or not allowing the steam api to check for the game by having the incorrect profile settings.

We do not intend to remove any of those two systems at this moment since they allow us to prevent people from creating new accounts to smurf or circumvent a ban.

Best Regards
PhilipJFry

p.s.: There is no monetary gain for faf by having people buying FA or by people using their retail DVD key to get a free copy of FA on steam.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 10 Dec 2018, 10:33

Hey there Phillip,

So I am currently still not able to play. Steam linking makes smurfing cost money which means they have to support the game more in order to get the satisfaction as posing as a noob again.

Every attempt I've made at a steam link has resulted in disaster so I would again emphasize that the program is not working correctly, and has even prevented my play in the past (working fine non-linked, then once linked, I was locked out)

r/

Spy_Emanciator
Spy_Emanciator

Postby PhilipJFry » 10 Dec 2018, 11:08

Hello Spy_Emanciator!

Please post a screenshot of the error message you receive when trying to link your FAF-Account to your steam account.

Please make sure that you
a) own Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance on steam
b) have your profile and inventory set to public - you can change those to private/friends only etc after the steam api was able to verify the existence of the game in your inventory

As i already mentioned before: Steam link is mandatory and dozens of people link their account every day.
The system works as intended.

Best Regards,
PhilipJFry
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Louvegarde » 10 Dec 2018, 11:43

I may add that the "program" as you call it (faf-uid) is not related in any way to the steam account linking. Those are two separates and different system.
The "program not working correctly" whatever you mean, has no effect on steam linking.

FAF-UID is collecting informations about your computer to identify yourself uniquely, which is considered by McAfee as a malicious behavior (getting drivers names, etc). However, in no way does that mean faf-uid is a "virus". I suggest you look online how heuristic detection in Antivirus work if you want to know more.

Regarding the steam link - I can't see how it could possibly result in a "disaster" for you. Worst case, it would result in no steam link at all. But as our server only reads from your steam account and has no rights nor possibility to make any change on it, there is no possible consequence to expect from a "failed" steam link. Just follow Philip's instructions and everything should be allright.
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby Geosearchef » 10 Dec 2018, 14:15

As far as I can see your FAF account is not yet steam linked. So even if you fix the UID related issue, you won't be able to log in. In the privacy settings you need to as Philip described set your owned games (not just profile or inventory) to public. You can disable this after you completed the linking process on the website and the FAF API has verified that you own the game.

If you encounter any error, please post it here. If against all odds your are still unable to link your account, add me as a friend on steam and send me a message, then I will see if I can manually confirm your ownership of a steam copy of FA.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Return to Tech Support