Collection of current bugs

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Collection of current bugs

Postby ckitching » 04 Jun 2016, 22:45

Zoram wrote:I just don't get why the need to poke fun at the old ugly code, which actually worked.

I suppose the best way to put it in simple terms is "just because it works for a while with small volumes of users doesn't mean it'll work all the time, without babysitting, with large volumes of users".

The other thing is that it's hard to build on a shaky foundation. Badly engineered software that works can't easily be extended.
Worse, badly engineered software often is very "tangled". If you change one part, you end up affecting something completely unrelated for not-obvious reasons.

A long-term goal we've been working towards is "untangling". We want to be able to do cool new things, and we want it to fix bugs. In order to do that, we need a stable foundation. When I started, it was almost impossible to make even minor changes to one part of the system without something that should be completely unrelated catching fire for no good reason. That makes it rather hard to do anything.
Unfortunately, given our lack of resources, it's quite difficult to do this without some of those "unexpected changes" leaking through testing.
Last edited by ckitching on 04 Jun 2016, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Postby Softly » 04 Jun 2016, 23:11

ckitching I'd just like to say thanks for coming and explaining some of this stuff, its really appreciated :)

Also the map upload button should be making a return now that the FAF maps api is being sorted (thanks to Aulex for looking into it).
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby ckitching » 04 Jun 2016, 23:48

Softly wrote:Also the map upload button should be making a return now that the FAF maps api is being sorted (thanks to Aulex for looking into it).

Very good. The API mostly appeared while I was disappeared so I'm not familiar enough with it to fix things right away, alas. Glad to hear it'll be fixed soon.
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Postby Vault54 » 05 Jun 2016, 00:00

Hosting with Diamond or Vanilla does not work. Game only flashes in joinable games screen and then disappears
"Don't Hate The Player, Don't Hate The Game" - The Diamond Standard
Vault54

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Vault54

Postby speed2 » 05 Jun 2016, 00:41

Vault54 wrote:Hosting with Diamond or Vanilla does not work. Game only flashes in joinable games screen and then disappears

try this https://github.com/FAForever/client/releases/download/0.11.59-pre/Forged.Alliance.Forever-0.11.59-win32.msi
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby E8400-CV » 05 Jun 2016, 04:58

Stuff randomly dies when dropping from transport. I just flew in 4 SCU's on sera T2 trans to my arty... one blew up right on top of T3 shield. :ugeek:

SirTobi60 wrote:Restarting the server once every week in the middle of the night isnt a problem for me when the games are stable at least. I dont really know what your problem is with ZePilots code, it was running stable in the sence that the games didnt get interupted by these disconnects. Wouldnt it be easier to fix that memory leak and have it all stable?

There were disconnects before, there are disconnects after. From what I see, it'a almost always from a select bunch of people. I didn't notice any increase?
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby CookieNoob » 05 Jun 2016, 09:31

E8400-CV wrote:There were disconnects before, there are disconnects after. From what I see, it'a almost always from a select bunch of people. I didn't notice any increase?

I dont know on which lobby you play, but after the serverchange the number of disconnects increased a lot. The players involved in these are often (but not always) the same, however for these players it was working fine before the proxy got replaced by the new one.

E8400-CV wrote:Stuff randomly dies when dropping from transport. I just flew in 4 SCU's on sera T2 trans to my arty... one blew up right on top of T3 shield. :ugeek:

replay id? didnt see that bug before
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby EcoNoob » 05 Jun 2016, 13:40

E8400-CV wrote:
There were disconnects before, there are disconnects after. From what I see, it'a almost always from a select bunch of people. I didn't notice any increase?

If you look at the amount of users online before and after the server update you will see that we lost about 1/4 to 1/3 of the playerbase.
EcoNoob

Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 70 times
FAF User Name: EcoNoob

Postby Zoram » 05 Jun 2016, 14:11

E8400-CV wrote:

it's not just people dropping of, it's pair of people who can't see each other while connecting each other perfectly fine, which stopis the game until one of the pair leaves. You're saying this happened to the same extent before ?

I have Fiber connection, I still get get disconnects to some people from time to time, am I supposed to "do" somethign to fix it ?

IF I connect perfectly fine to everyone, some other people will have issues. If I play five team games in an evening, at the very least one will be wasted because of this bug.
Well, in any case, that was the case last time I plaid (over 3 weeks ago I think). Not that I stopped just because of that, life and all, but it doesn't help.
Attachments
speed.png
speed.png (78.03 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby E8400-CV » 05 Jun 2016, 20:30

SirTobi60 wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:There were disconnects before, there are disconnects after. From what I see, it'a almost always from a select bunch of people. I didn't notice any increase?

I dont know on which lobby you play, but after the serverchange the number of disconnects increased a lot. The players involved in these are often (but not always) the same, however for these players it was working fine before the proxy got replaced by the new one.

I am Europe based, so I don't see much Aussies. Perhaps different for them? I did notice less NZ / AUS people have the 500+ ping thing.

SirTobi60 wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:Stuff randomly dies when dropping from transport. I just flew in 4 SCU's on sera T2 trans to my arty... one blew up right on top of T3 shield. :ugeek:

replay id? didnt see that bug before

You didn't :O ? I've seen it before, both in my games, and it being mentioned in forums. Replay ID is 4816152, I think. I have it running now to see if it desyncs or not and if it's the right one.

EcoNoob wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:

If you look at the amount of users online before and after the server update you will see that we lost about 1/4 to 1/3 of the playerbase.

Amount of players various with seasons. When we approach summer, it decreases, toward winter it increaes. Centered on EU / US with the seasons, that is.

Zoram wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:

it's not just people dropping of, it's pair of people who can't see each other while connecting each other perfectly fine, which stopis the game until one of the pair leaves. You're saying this happened to the same extent before ?

I have Fiber connection, I still get get disconnects to some people from time to time, am I supposed to "do" somethign to fix it ?

IF I connect perfectly fine to everyone, some other people will have issues. If I play five team games in an evening, at the very least one will be wasted because of this bug.
Well, in any case, that was the case last time I plaid (over 3 weeks ago I think). Not that I stopped just because of that, life and all, but it doesn't help.

Hmmm yes, I've seen that a whole bunch lately too. But I've also seen it in the past, and there it more often resulted in a permanent-hung game. I like to play Full Share, which is a nice insurance against ruined games, too bad a lot don't. And also too bad default setting was changed...
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support