Collection of current bugs

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Collection of current bugs

Postby PsychoBoB » 03 Jun 2016, 15:22

biass wrote:People have gotten to the point where they are now considering putting up cash bounties for fixing the vaults, myself included
Take from this intel what you wish, but if you need a cash incentive to finally go look at what has been down for nearly half a year, its pretty sad

Well, then we should do more promotion about this situation. Else i see FAF slowly dying. Because people (new and current) just care more about connection issues than nice extensions of the game. And if FAF dies all the efforts of all devs is going to waste...
I know that a there were a lot of info events like streams, podcast or forum threads. But i think that's not enough. If you and other devs want money for your work then make a concept and say it clear maybe like the guys of wikipedia do it: write in big letters on all pages of the client what has to be done to keep this fantastic project alive!

If the devs publish a halfway decent overall concept for the future i'll give the first 50,- €

What do you think?
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby CookieNoob » 03 Jun 2016, 18:50

PsychoBoB wrote:[...] people (new and current) just care more about connection issues than nice extensions of the game. [...]

yea I see it the same way. I can remember visionik saying (in some interview) that stable connections and uninterupted games would be the main focus of the further development of faf. And looking at it now, it just got more and more unstable. We arrived at a point where (I dont know the exact numbers) 1 of 5 games have at least one disconnect. This is worse than before the server change (before it was stable).
Restarting the server once every week in the middle of the night isnt a problem for me when the games are stable at least. I dont really know what your problem is with ZePilots code, it was running stable in the sence that the games didnt get interupted by these disconnects. Wouldnt it be easier to fix that memory leak and have it all stable?

I know a couple of people that stoped playing after the serverchange and my time on faf (at least the ratio compared to other games) is decreasing as well.

However the intention of the thread was to collect all the bugs and correct the faf.statuspage.io (it really annoys me that everything is marked as working there).

PS: I just had 2 games which didnt exceed 5 minutes, in the first one the connection of CommanderJohn droped to one player and in the second game NymphNoob lost connection to Queer... this is just not fun to play when you have to tell ppl to restart faf multiple times to establish connections and then the game ends immidiately. Posting logs also seems useless since they are not even downloaded at all.
Check out the next level of maps: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13014
For adaptivity, customizability and less clutter in the vault.
CookieNoob
Priest

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 249 times
FAF User Name: CookieNoob

Postby ckitching » 04 Jun 2016, 01:20

If you wish to support the development, there is a patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

As far as I know, this money is divided evenly among the developers who want it who contribute in each month. I have so far never received any money from FAF (and don't really want to at this point, I've got enough income from my proper job and it's peanuts anyway).

In general (at least for me), the issue isn't money, it's time. I am currently getting properly acquainted with the client code, sorting out some of the performance issues it's got, and once I know what I'm doing I'll be poking at the map upload thing.

... Stuff I'm doing while juggling my real job. And (at least historically) fending off significant amounts of hatemail from the more insalubrious members of this community.
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Postby biass » 04 Jun 2016, 07:00

ckitching wrote:If you wish to support the development, there is a patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

As far as I know, this money is divided evenly among the developers who want it who contribute in each month. I have so far never received any money from FAF (and don't really want to at this point, I've got enough income from my proper job and it's peanuts anyway).

In general (at least for me), the issue isn't money, it's time. I am currently getting properly acquainted with the client code, sorting out some of the performance issues it's got, and once I know what I'm doing I'll be poking at the map upload thing.

... Stuff I'm doing while juggling my real job. And (at least historically) fending off significant amounts of hatemail from the more insalubrious members of this community.

If you fix the vaults upload you will be loved forever <3
the issues with no new maps is showing, here for example viewtopic.php?f=26&p=127948#p127947
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Resin_Smoker » 04 Jun 2016, 13:28

working as intended... (snark)
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby PsychoBoB » 04 Jun 2016, 13:58

I know that there is a patreon campain for the devs. But i am not very happy with the actual projects they are working on.
I only would pay for the work on the clients and servers basic functions to get them stable. All the other things are nice to have.
PsychoBoB
Priest

Postby Crotalus » 04 Jun 2016, 14:58

I don't know where people got the idea that money has anything to do with this. Anyone that dedicate their time (or not) to FAF due to money motivations should probably consider getting a real job, or why not sit outside some shopping mall and beg instead.
Crotalus
Priest

Been liked: 102 times
FAF User Name: Crotalus

Postby ckitching » 04 Jun 2016, 17:45

PsychoBoB wrote:I know that there is a patreon campain for the devs. But i am not very happy with the actual projects they are working on.
I only would pay for the work on the clients and servers basic functions to get them stable. All the other things are nice to have.

I think I explained that, though: people are working for free, in their spare time, as a hobby. They therefore do things they find fun, not necessarily what's important.

Yes, some of us do pick our projects based on what's "important", but there will always be random people doing random "unimportant" things for fun. That's just how it goes, and that work is (usually) at least somewhat useful.
Certainly, the main focus of what Sheeo/I are currently working on is exactly what you say: stability and sanity. From a stability point of view, the server has never been better. It's missing the support it needs for the vaults, although sheeo tells me he'll be working on that tomorrow, so hopefully that'll yield some progress.
The main "stability" problems we have right now are roughly:

- The single-threaded nature of the client, combined with its horribly inefficient approach to doing UI, means startup lag caused by large amounts of games or players being active can make the connection to the server time out. This is the cause of that "you need to reboot FAF lots of times to get a connection" thing someone whinged about earlier. (this is my current focus)
- Lots of users seem to have network equipment that is completely incapable of doing UDP, so the recentish server changes that increase performance for most people by allowing them to avoid using the proxy cause significant problems for an unfortunate minority. Using a not-insane TCP proxy for such people will probably do the trick, but there's currently nobody available to work on this (I don't know of anyone aside from myself or sheeo with the expertise to do it). The proxy server ZeP wrote is not fit for purpose any more, as our user count has grown. It forwarded messages in a slow, CPU-intensive way. It could only process one message at a time, no matter how may hundreds or thousands of people are connected to it. This meant that as you added more people to the proxy server, the games of everyone using it were slowed down linearly. It got to the point where if you were connected to the proxy, you were fucked. We can probably make it all be okay again by using one of the many off-the-shelf high performance proxy programs that exist (plus a bit of plumbing to make it do what we want), but as I said: time.

People are not in this for the money. There's hardly enough money to buy beer, let alone pay wages. That's okay, though: people do this because they enjoy it. But that does mean things don't always happen as fast as we would like. If you want to donate, it'll be a nice gesture. If donations increase an enormous amount it might actually impact development, but for the time being it's just a notional thank-you and maybe half a beer per month for each developer. :P
ckitching

Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Postby PsychoBoB » 04 Jun 2016, 19:30

Thanks a lot for this clarification!

Really good to know that somebody takes care of the core code at anytime in the nearer future.
PsychoBoB
Priest

Postby Zoram » 04 Jun 2016, 22:31

(mostly because it involves going near some of the ickiest, ZePiest code that's still left).

I really don't get that kind of messages.

As far as I'm concerned, FAF could stop working or becoming (more) broken, I wouldn't complain. Free stuff is free, whatever we get is good.

But reading these, it kind of becomes itchy to point out that , from a user point of view, that old broken icky code kinda worked.

The new fancy stuff on the other end -that came with a lot of fanfare and some (too much) throwing jibe at the old hooorible code- well kinda doesn't.

If everything else is twice as good as before, it's doesn't really matter if people can't stay connected to a game.

Again, it's free, so whatever we get is good enough, I just don't get why the need to poke fun at the old ugly code, which actually worked.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support