Mumble tech support

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Mumble tech support

Postby Rienzilla » 20 Dec 2015, 20:56

Hey guys,

Please use this post for support questions regarding the faforever mumble server, and the faforever mumble connector (the feature "automatic channel switching"). We'll try to summarize issues and solutions in this post as we go along.

If you have any problems which you can't post here for whatever reason, please contact Nyx: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8072

Cheers,

Rien

1. What is mumble?

Mumble is a voice chat application that allows you to talk and listen to your fellow faf players.

2. What is the mumble connector, or "automatic channel switching"

The "automatic channel switching"-feature automatically places you in a separate channel with your team mates when you play a (team)game, and moves you back when the game is done. This way you're always talking to your team mates when you're in game, and there's no reason to switch back and forth between FA and your mumble client in order to go to the right channel.

3. ...
Last edited by Rienzilla on 20 Dec 2015, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Rienzilla
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Rienzilla

Re: Mumble tech support

Postby Nyx » 20 Dec 2015, 21:04

THE MUMBLE CONNECT/LINK IS CURRENTLY BROKEN, unfortunately it is not possible to fix it at this time, you can still connect manually/normally and use the aeolus and clans section.

Welcome to the FAF Mumble server support forum, here is some basic information followed by more complex information on how to use mumble, I tried to cover everything in detail so that I did not miss anything, feel free to message me on here if you have any issues that you can't find the answer to on here or leave a comment here.

Basic information:

http://download.mumble.com/en/mumble-1.2.15.msi

After Installation:
The server is NOT located in the default public lists on mumble, you must click ADD.

Label: (name as you wish, eg; FAF)
Address: mumble.faforever.com
Port: 64738
Username: (please choose your name, be aware that some names may already be used and registered, mumble will likely ask you for a certificate or tell you that you have the wrong password/certificate for that username/account, this means that this username is taken).

Namechanging:
To change your name, go to Server>Connect>click on FAF (or whatever you named it) then click EDIT, change you username then click ok, as disconnect/reconnect is sometimes required.
You cannot change your username once you are registered/certified by the server.
If you need to change your username and you are registered, please contact me.

For anything that is not covered in this post that is to do with setup and installation of mumble, such as audio configuration please refer to the mumble wiki:
http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page
Or google/youtube your problem/query. If there is a persistent issue, you may also contact me as I might be able to help.

For information on how to setup/install the FAF mumble connector (made by Rienzilla), please refer to this page:
http://www.faforever.com/mumble/#.VqFFWSqLSUk

Detailed information:

Authentication/Registration/certificates:

To register your username, please go to Self>Register (once you are logged on to FAF server).

For issues concerning certificates, such as lost certificates/new Operating system/can't login due to password/certificate failure, please PM me using the little icon below where it says FAF username (the little Person thingy)that is beneath my name/picture on the left of this post or using this page http://forums.faforever.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8072, where I can assist you.

Spoiler: show
Mumble does not require a password, it uses certificates to authenticate users. You may join using any username so long as it is not already taken (and registered) by someone else.

An easy way to look at it is as if certificates are like a passkey/keycard to verify your identity that you can virtually take with you and insert (import) into mumble on devices but you still need to put your passkey/keycard in when you are using your normal device to make sure it is you. By that passkey/keycard being unique, it also protects you identity from being stolen (someone else using your username, this also stop them using your acl privileges if you have any).

Registering a username:
To register a username (claim) it as yours so that nobody else can use it click (at the top of the mumble client, when logged into the FAF mumble server) ~ Self>Register ~ This username is now yours, this will save a "certificate" to your device. You will not be able to log into this account from another device unless you export your certificate.

Exporting/Importing Certificates:
->To export your certificate, go to; ~configure>certificate wizard>(follow the steps and save/export to the place where you wish the certificate to be stored.)
<-To import your certificate (on the device where you wish to log in from) transfer the certificate, either by usb/external drive or internet based file sharing services such as dropbox, if you are likely to log in from multiple devices in various places, dropbox is a good option as you can then access your certificate anywhere). Please note that certification is not yet supported on all mobile/tablet devices as of yet.

Clan channels and ACL privileges within clan channels:

Clan channels are the mumble version of clan chats within the FAF client with the exception of anyone can join the channel (so long as you permit it within the permissions/acl).

Any clan leader that wishes to have a channel within mumble can speak to me and once verified that they are the clan leader, I will create a channel for them and give them ACL rights (see below), clan leaders are responsible for their channel (and sub channels), they may give acl permissions to people within their channel if they with to do so, if the FAF rules as well as the rules (see below) are not followed by these people or the clan leader, the acl rights will be removed from the person and the clan leader will be given one warning and will be prohibited from giving the person who broke the rules acl rights again. In the event that there is an extreme circumstance in which an immediate direct withdrawal of acl rights from the clan leader is required, in this case, there will be no warning.
For us to be able to attribute acl privileges to you as well as a person you wish to give acl/permissions to, you/that person must be a registered user (see above).

In short: If you give acl permissions to someone and they cause a problem, you are liable, if you cause a problem, you're rights WILL be removed and NOT reinstated.

We do not give out channels to single players for their own comfort, the server already has enough channels, you are welcome to use one of the language channels where you may also create a temporary channel (it will close when the last person leaves the channel).
To create a temporary channel, you must be a registered user (see above).

MUTE option/command (For clan leaders and people with acl rights)
Please note that the mute command will affect the user server wide, meaning that they will be muted when they leave the channel where they were muted, you can however not unmute them until/unless they return to that channel, this command is NOT to be used unless there is an extreme circumstance in which it is required (for example someone repeatedly returning to channel screaming abuse) and is ONLY to be used if no moderator is online (Me or Gorton), if we are please contact us and we will deal with the problem, if you have to use this command and/or someone is being that disruptive/screaming abuse/etc. please send me a PM on here with their name(s) and time of the incident and preferably a brief description of what happened.

This is the MUTE command that clan leaders/people with acl rights have access to, NOT Local Mute, you may use this as you wish, if you are not sure on what it does please google/mumble wiki it.

The use priority speaker command by people with clan acl rights is also prohibited

How ACLs and channels work:(inc creating channels)

Creating channels:

To create a channel:

To create a channel, you must be registered user (please see above), navigate to "Temporary private channels" in the Aeolus section of mumble, right click the channel "Temporary private channels" and click "ADD", Type in the the name for your channel and click ok, the server will then move you into the newly created channel. This is a temporary channel it will disappear when the last person leaves it.

For clan leaders/people with acl rights only:
To create a channel, right click the main channel and click add, if you would like it to be permanent, unselect temporary at the bottom if it is checked. The maximum limit per clan channel is 2 permanent channels, temporary channels are ok but to not abuse/spam them. Failure to keep to this amount will result in one of the channels being deleted (at random), if this persists, acl rights WILL be removed, the same goes for anyone spamming temporary channels.

Attributing acl/permissions to users within your channel:
To give someone acl within a channel they must be a registered user, remember not to give acl rights to just anyone as you can be held accountable for their actions.

Right click on the desired channel and click "EDIT" then navigate to the right hand tab "ACL", here you will find all of your options, click add, then click on the "User ID dropdown and select the user you wish to give acl rights to, one you have done that you will see that the users name has appeared in the box with "all", "admin", etc. now you can select what you want them to be able to do on the panel on the right hand side, to allow them full access like yourself you only need to check "write acl", it will override the rest. That is it.

Removing/moving people out of your channel:
You may remove someone who you do not wish to be in your channel from the channel at your own discretion, with the exception of moderators, if you wish for a moderator to leave your channel, simply ask him and unless he has as specific reason for being in there, he will leave.
To move someone out of the channel, just left click (and hold) and drag them to where you wish to move them to, please do not drag them to other peoples channels, anywhere in the Aeolus section is fine, you may also move people between channels/sub channels that are within your main channel.

There are additional features and things I would like to add here but I am trying to avoid anything that is not essential and sticking to the questions I am mainly asked/problems people are likely to encounter when trying to figure out how to do stuff.

For more advanced acl/group/privatising channels (so that only some people can enter who have know "the password", I use "" because it is slightly different to that, which I will explain to you should you need me to) or anything that is not listed here, please contact me directly and I will explain it to you or I will do it for you for sake of easiness as some times mumble can become a little confusing to some.

RULES:

It is here in (figurative) black and white, so there are no discrepancies and no excuses. The rules are not here to be a pain in the rear, they are here to maintain a respectful community, if you respect people and use common sense when judging whether doing something is ok, there will most likely be no problems, the rules are laid out here to ensure that everyone is on the same page and so there can be no arguments over what one person may of said is allowed or not.

Appealing Bans or other administrative actions:

Moderator/admin decisions will NOT be discussed in chat whether it be on mumble or the FAF client.

If you do not understand why this action has been taken or you believe that it is unjust, you may appeal the action.

After discussion, you may find that the issue can be resolved easily, we recommended that you contact the person who issued this action directly, via the forum, if this is not the case, see how to escalate the problem correctly.

Escalating:
If, after you have spoken to that person the action is not revoked and you feel that you still do not understand why this action was taken or that it was unjust, you are of course entitled to seek help from another Moderator/Admin, if after this you really feel that you are being treated unfairly or that this action was unjust and you wish to escalate it further, please Message the IRC moderators group by creating a new message, select "IRC Moderators" group on the right and click add (then type your message and send) or contact the global moderators: http://forums.faforever.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=4 (this will be visible to all moderators) and it will be discussed among them, they will then get back to you.

Please do not come with several people, bombarding us with messages such as "this is unfair, he just hates him because...", "why did <x> do this!?"etc. it is not constructive and it will not get us or the person involved anywhere.

Any person who tries to make appeal against an administrative action by insulting or referring to the person who took this action in a derogatory way, as well as any inappropriate approach to the matter, yelling, message spamming, raging and discussing the action in public chat, will result in the appeal being immediately dismissed.

We don't want to ban people on FAF, we have a small community as it is and we don't want to be the nasty people, so if you're nice enough to us and to other people on here then we can all just get along.

All global FAF rules apply (http://forums.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=581)
Not adhering to any of these rules will result in a warning and if it continues, a ban, any attempt to avoid/circumvent bans or continuous disrespect for the rules will earn you a permanent ban with no possibility of a pardon.

Abuse of ACL rights will result in the withdrawal of these rights.

MUTE option/command
Please note that the mute command will affect the user server wide, meaning that they will be muted when they leave the channel where they were muted, you can however not unmute them until/unless they return to that channel, this command is NOT to be used unless there is an extreme circumstance in which it is required (for example someone repeatedly returning to channel screaming abuse) and is ONLY to be used if no moderator is online (Me or Gorton), if we are please contact us and we will deal with the problem, if you have to use this command and/or someone is being that disruptive/screaming abuse/etc. please send me a PM on here with their name(s) and time of the incident and preferably a brief description of what happened.

There is a maximum limit of 2 permanent channels within clan chats, any additional channels will be deleted and if this occurrence is regular/persistent, acl rights will be withdrawn.

Spamming sub channels or channels within channels, whether temporary or not, will cause you to have your acl rights removed or in the case of a public channel, abusing sub channel spam will result in a warning then a ban.

Things that are part of the global rules but need to be made clear:

Usernames:
Any offensive names or any username that can be deemed inappropriate for the environment is not permitted, user will be banned with no prior warning but will be notified why they are banned and will allowed to connect should they change their name to something appropriate. Repetitive issues of this nature can lead to a long term ban and eventually if the person is persistent and refuses to respect this rule, will no longer be allowed to access the server. (permaban)

Bonus section for people reading the rules, if you do not know that you can or you do not know how to; to create a comment, right click your name and click change comment, to assign an avatar (picture beside comment or just picture if you do not have a comment, navigate to Self>Change Avatar, you must be registered to use this feature as it loads your image file on your local machine.
Any inappropriate comments and avatars will be removed without warning and you will be notified, consistent non compliance with this rule can result in a ban.

Verbal abuse/discrimination:
Any type of discrimination or verbal abuse will be met with zero tolerance, depending on the severity of the case, you may be banned effective immediately (temporary ban, unless extreme circumstance).

Shouting in channels:
Shouting in channels causing a disturbance within channels is of course not permitted, obviously a lot of users use headphones and this can therefore hurt this persons ears etc. any sort of this behavior will not be tolerated and can (if it persists WILL) lead to a ban of undetermined length after consideration of the event and possible previous warnings.

Channel text spamming:
Whilst this is annoying, one can simply disable the notifications for text messages within a channel as well as the text to speech, we ask you still to not do this.

Abuse of any of these rules or behaviour that could be considered an annoyance or disrespectful to other users will as for global FAF rules result in a warning and if it continues a ban with the possibility of a permanent ban in extreme circumstances. Permanent is PERMANENT.
Attempting to avoid/circumvent a ban can also earn you a permanent ban.

If you have any further queries that are not answered in this post or if there is something in this post that you do not understand, please feel free to PM me on here, I will be happy to help and generally respond quite quickly.

I usually available and up for a chat, come talk to me in mumble if you like.

Your furry friend,
Nyx.
Last edited by Nyx on 08 Jun 2016, 13:23, edited 61 times in total.
So it is a perfectly logical mechanic, do you know what engines/propulsion the planes use?

Zoram wrote: Quantic pixel dust ? :p

No actually it is a Dirtymatter Propulsion System otherwise known as DPS that you often hear people talking about.
Nyx
Crusader

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Nyx

Postby Gorton » 20 Dec 2015, 21:14

- If you're trying to use your own name on a different computer, but you registered this nick, the server won't let you use it as it thinks you are stealing this nick.
You can save and copy your certificate, info here: http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Mumble_Import_Certificate
Or just contact me/Nyx about it if there's a problem.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Saxxon » 28 Feb 2016, 15:30

I installed the latest Mumble version this morning. Now it does not start the program, I get an error saying "A referral was returned from the server". It was working on the older install (mine was 1.2.8).
Saxxon

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Saxxon

Postby yorick » 28 Feb 2016, 16:52

This seems to be a mumble problem, have look at this http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/FAQ/Englis ... on_Windows maybe that can fix it.
yorick

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: yorick

Postby Nyx » 28 Feb 2016, 18:49

Saxxon wrote:I installed the latest Mumble version this morning. Now it does not start the program, I get an error saying "A referral was returned from the server". It was working on the older install (mine was 1.2.8).

I am aware of this, this is an issue relating to Use group local policies and certificates, or at least it was when someone else I know had the problem. Please try this:

First of all:

What yorick linked, please try installing this
https://www.startssl.com/certs/ca.crt

as it says on this page:
http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/FAQ/English#.22A_referral_was_returned_from_the_server..22_error_while_starting_Mumble_on_Windows

If this does not help, please try this:
http://www.mumble.com/support/mumble-a-referral-was-returned-by-the-server.php

If this does not work, please try this:

I was going to link you the txt base version but I checked this video and it is actually correct, it is not a hoax video. Here is a text based version:

http://www.repairwin.com/fix-a-referral-was-returned-from-the-server-error/

Hope this helps,
Nyx.
So it is a perfectly logical mechanic, do you know what engines/propulsion the planes use?

No actually it is a Dirtymatter Propulsion System otherwise known as DPS that you often hear people talking about.
Nyx
Crusader

Postby keyxmakerx » 19 Mar 2016, 20:40

Not sure if you guys would even care, but I have a DO server I use for VoIP clients like this, and I have a TS license I wouldn't mind setting one up if you guys want. It's a nonprofit license, so you wouldn't have to worry about any fees or anything, and I can run any scripts you need me to, though I myself wouldn't know where to begin.

Also, it's on a mariadb, and secured, so you wouldn't have any issues there as well. :)

Though personally I like mumble more.
keyxmakerx
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: keyxmakerx

Postby Nyx » 20 Mar 2016, 12:00

We have plenty of room to run TS on the main FAF server, I have also offered to personally run it on my server too but upon discussion, we decided to stick with mumble although migration to teamspeak is a future possibility.

We appreciate and thank you for your offer but at this time it will not be necessary.

Nyx.

Nyx
Crusader

Postby NodCommander » 07 Jul 2016, 13:19

Please do not abandon Open Source. Not for TS, not for Discord.
"He who controls the past, commands the future, He who commands the future, conquers the past." -Kane
NodCommander

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: NodCommander

Postby Nyx » 07 Jul 2016, 19:22

Mumble is still running and there are no plans to scrap it yet. :)

Nyx
Crusader

Next

Return to Tech Support