LegendoftheStars End-of-the-Year 2018 Championship

Tournaments announces and results.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Stups

Re: LegendoftheStars End-of-the-Year 2018 Championship

Postby ThomasHiatt » 27 Sep 2018, 19:43

There are far too many maps in the pool to do any sort of preparation and a lot of them are of questionable quality or just plain bad, so I'm not sure why they are there in the first place. BO1 matches and no rating limit are also pretty bad, but understandable decisions.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Postby FtXCommando » 27 Sep 2018, 20:48

This is a pool for 6 different tournaments. Unfortunately a pool of Syrtis, Loki, and PoR will not suffice.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Blodir » 27 Sep 2018, 21:47

FtXCommando wrote:This is a pool for 6 different tournaments. Unfortunately a pool of Syrtis, Loki, and PoR will not suffice.

ye sure whatever, but you could announce like a month ahead of time before qualifier a set of like 5 maps that are played during that qualifier. Then every matchup u randomize the map the players play on or smth. That way if some dude really wants to qualify they can do epic preparation for the qualifier and we get to see good games instead of regular shitshow. Same thing for the finals of course, announce a reasonable size set of maps like a month ahead of time and let ppl practice. Also should do the same thing for matchups in the final tourny (which u probably will do without prompting anyways i guess) --- release brackets like month ahead of time so you can study opponents while they practice on this reasonable size map pool.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Morax » 28 Sep 2018, 00:58

Not really positive why you are saying the map Krossfire is being removed because it's "too new. " Alegnag and I tested some of the maps, both agreed it was pretty nice looking, but had rather too much reclaim. Knightly and Platinumizer also agreed.....

Most the other maps are okay, but I am more interested to watch the matches from Mountains tourney rather this where as Thomas said, it's not possible to prepare well.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Farmsletje » 28 Sep 2018, 01:50

Morax wrote:Not really positive why you are saying the map Krossfire is being removed because it's "too new. " Alegnag and I tested some of the maps, both agreed it was pretty nice looking, but had rather too much reclaim. Knightly and Platinumizer also agreed.....

The map literally hasn't seen more than 4 "pro" 1v1 games and of those 4 2/3 were utter stomps. This is by no means a tested map.
The reclaim is controversial but to suggest that krossfire should've been removed from the pool because of that is ridiculous considering maps like bermuda receive no complaints at all while having a lot more reclaim.

Also one of the reasons it was removed is because turin and i found out that half the mountains are traversable by units. Why didn't we find out before? Probably because it's new and hasn't been tested yet
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby This_Guy » 28 Sep 2018, 05:45

I dont know why people need the map pools out so early. Just so you can decide victor by better BO. I rather not know before going in and just play what youre given.

I know its mostly cause i dont make BOs on maps, and thus i disagree to make it unfair to players like me to play someone with a 10min BO that wont stall or overflow, but I just think that if youre good enough youll win anyways. Most maps are played very similarly anyways.

Thats my 2 cents.
This_Guy

Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: This_Guy

Postby Mephi » 28 Sep 2018, 09:52

@This_Guy

If two players improvise on a new map and one fails for whatever reason, its a boring af stomp and not exactly what you want in a tourney. There is a reason why we usually dont see stomps on loki, syrtis and PoR. They have been played for such a long time. that everybody has a decent idea for a build and we can see further skills.

And if somebody is willing to put time into preparing a map and a build for it, shouldnt he have an edge over somebody who isnt willing to do that?
I am all up for watching a match of an 1700 rated guy with a perfect build against a 2k player with a semigood build.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby Turinturambar » 28 Sep 2018, 10:36

on top of being able to prepare a build/ practice a map it can maybe even get as far as whoring replays of ppl practicing that map. *_*
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby Morax » 28 Sep 2018, 12:59

I used to hate BO prep, too, This_Guy. Over time, I learned each map has a lot of uniqueness and thou who knows more, wins more.

You also need to take into account that if you don't know the locations of reclaim, you may find yourself getting crushed by an opponent as well. The golden example is that little, metal tiki on eye of the storm which is somehow worth 300 mass. What's really funny is that it exists in all four corners, yet in most replays I watch people only get the one near spawn!
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 28 Sep 2018, 23:17

I’ve mulled it over and decided the best thing to do is release say 10 of the maps that will definitely be in each section of the tournament. The problem is I really don’t want to repeat maps during one of the tournaments. This desire and the fact I can’t predict the quantity of players for the qualifiers (official tourney is different) create a tension that makes what you want kind of impossible. I feel like 10 maps should be a reasonable compromise on improving the bo whoring possibilities.

Releasing brackets is not really feasible (at least not for a tourney that is already in process) as it would have required me to begin serious advertising for qualifiers say a month before. I also think this creates an unnecessary burden on players because this is FAF not some 100k PUBG tourney and so you can’t expect people to know whether they can play or not that far out.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments