Multiplayer saves

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Multiplayer saves

Postby AdmiralZeech » 01 Apr 2012, 12:12

(Hmm, couldnt figure out how to get the forum search to work, so dunno if its been brought up before. Or even if its already implemented....)

iirc someone once wrote a mod that implemented multiplayer save games?

Along my usual theme of "stuff that should have been in the game in the first place", it would be nice to see multiplayer saves and in-replay saves in FAF as standard one day.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Multiplayer saves

Postby Kryo » 01 Apr 2012, 12:21

are you seriously playing mp games that would need a save option?

Idk... even if I play a 4v4 and have it take 90min, the chances that all 8 players will come together the next day or week to play on the saved game, is pretty small.
Kryo
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby AdmiralZeech » 01 Apr 2012, 15:48

This discussion has been replayed time and time again, so I'll just refer you to the many previous threads in gpg forums about this feature.

The long and the short of it - there are many useful things you can do with such a feature besides continuing long games. And long games can also be interesting too. So don't question why someone would want it, just accept that it would bring value. And once the feature is there, even you will find it handy sometimes, even if you cant imagine it now.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Postby FunkOff » 01 Apr 2012, 16:24

Yes, there is a mod that enables multiplayer saves. No, it won't be part of FAF, at least for awhile. Why not? Because it can potentially allow cheating. For example, suppose I am playing a 1v1 and I am losing, to stop this, I can load a save from a previous 1v1 were I was winning and then we would play that instead.

There would be no way to allow players to load saves without it being a highly abuse-able feature.... at least not the way the mod is written so far. To make it un-abusable, we'd have to add new functions and more work... of which we have plenty already :lol:
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby AdmiralZeech » 02 Apr 2012, 13:31

Well, in a sense such a mod can only be well implemented in FAF since there is an opportunity to change the lobby.

In my vision of such a feature, loading a multiplayer save is done in the lobby, like choosing a map. (and you can then reassign players or do other stuff) So no opportunities for cheating there. To say that there's "no way" to make it unabusable, is a pretty big cop out.

Besides, I'm not particularly calling for it to be implemented as a priority (i said "one day") just an acknowledgement that its a necessary feature for a "perfect" FAF :)

So yeah, the kind of dismissive (and honestly, slightly ignorant) counter arguments I've been seeing here are the things I will fight. You can shut me up by saying, "Hey! That's a great idea! I'd love to do it one day! Yeah!" :P
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Postby FunkOff » 02 Apr 2012, 13:35

Well, the biggest impediment to integration is FAF client/server control over FA. There just isn't much of it right now. As we develop ad utilize new means to integrate client and game, allowing game saves should be one of them.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby AdmiralZeech » 07 Apr 2012, 05:34

Ok then :)
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Postby Stin » 16 Apr 2012, 13:09

Kryo wrote:are you seriously playing mp games that would need a save option?

Idk... even if I play a 4v4 and have it take 90min, the chances that all 8 players will come together the next day or week to play on the saved game, is pretty small.

I play with the exact same people at the exact same time every week.
Its how I guarantee to get good quality games with reliable players.
Stin

Been liked: 1 time

Return to General Discussions