Help! I'm new!

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Help! I'm new!

Postby uberge3k » 15 Jan 2012, 20:52

Welcome to the FA community - we're glad to have you!

FA is an incredibly deep game to learn, and it will take time and commitment to improve your skills. If you venture online after only playing singleplayer, you'll likely feel overwhelmed. However, there is a lot of information out there that you can use to quickly get up to speed and hit the ground running in multiplayer!

Stuff you should have
These are things that most of us already have and swear by:

FAF client: http://www.faforever.com/?page_id=2 - if you haven't installed it yet, get it from there. This is the main lobby client and is required to play on FAF!

GAZ_UI: http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?p=414706 - widely considered the best UI mod, it adds lots of subtle (and not so subtle!) tweaks to improve the UI's performance and usability. It's a UI mod, so it won't desync the game while playing online.

Open ports: http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=2531 - Port 6112 needs to be open, both on your firewall and your router, to ensure connectivity problems don't occur (if you see nils, you probably don't have your ports open!). This page contains a wealth of troubleshooting information to help you get those open first.

Overview of game modes
There are a metric ton of different game modes and various settings you can play with, so here's a quick primer on the most popular ones:

Assassination: The most commonly played, bread-and-butter type victory condition. Kill the other team's ACUs to win.
Supremacy: Not commonly played in normal games; usually used in Survival type game modes in case an "accident" happens to your ACU. You must kill every unit and structure of the enemy for them to officially die.
Share Until Death: If this option is turned on (and it usually is, generally unless the host specifically states otherwise), all of that player's units are killed when their ACU dies. This means that killing ACUs is the most important thing to do; if it's off, killing an ACU can often be detrimental to the team as the enemy team now has a supercharged eco from the dead player's units and structures.
FFA: A Free For All has no set teams, although they typically result in players being mobbed in order of how dangerous they look. ;)

LABwars: A custom game mod, where you can only build LABs! It's a zany game mode with its own special blend of strategy.
Phantom: Another custom game mod, thoroughly described in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=471
Murder Party: Sort of like a mix of FFA and Phantom: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=300
Survival: Special maps are designated as survival games. In these, you and your teammates fight against the AI in a scripted scenario.

Guides to playing
All of these guides are excellent, and contain a wealth of information on how to play. The first guide is especially useful, and something that everyone should take the time to read.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50272

Useful links
You'll probably want to bookmark these as they're terrific resources:

FAF Wiki: http://www.faforever.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Unit Database: http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/
Forums: index.php

Other cool things you'll want to know
A quick sampling of answers to commonly asked questions:

How can I play an online game?

There are two types of games: Ranked and Custom. Ranked games are purely 1v1, while Custom games can have any number (1-12) of players with any mods or rules the host sets. Custom games are typically more laid back, while 1v1s provide an excellent challenge for sharpening your skills. Try both!

To play a ranked game, simply click on the "Ladder Game" tab, select your preferred faction, and hit Search! You'll be matched up with whomever else is searching at the same time, and be placed on a random map to do battle on. Ranked activity fluctuates, so if you find yourself waiting for a few minutes to get a game, try letting others in chat know that there's someone searching!

To play a custom game, you have two more options: joining a game that's already being hosted, or hosting your own. Joining a game is probably the better option for new players, as more experienced players will be there to guide you. Don't be shy! The community is, on the whole, an extremely friendly and supportive group.

To join or host a game, click on the "Custom Game" tab and either select a game to join, or click "host game" and enter the game's name.

How do I watch replays?

You can double click on any crossed swords that appear next to someone's name in chat. This will allow you to observe a game in near real time (there is a 1 minute delay to prevent abuse of the system for cheating). You can also double click on the space where the swords usually are to view that player's last played game.

Finally, you can paste this in chat, or any other channel, to act as a link to that player's latest livereplay:

livereplay:GPGNET://91.229.20.50/PLAYER_NAME.SCFAReplay

PLAYER_NAME is case-sensitive; for a working example:

livereplay:GPGNET://91.229.20.50/Isen.SCFAReplay

What about this score next to my name?

For the most part, ignore that while you're still learning. It's your global ranking, computed via TrueSkill. What that means is that it's a (semi-accurate) representation of your skill relative to other players. Remember that all of us started out new once, and don't try to play purely for score - just play to improve your skills, and it will naturally rise over time as you get better!

Everyone calls me noob and doesn't want to play with me!

Unfortunately, some people in the community really dislike playing with new players. Or maybe it was an arranged team game that you didn't know about, and were unceremoniously kicked from it. Whatever the reason, it sucks!

My best advice is to hone your skills in ranked first. No one will care about you being a noob (they'll think, "ooh, free points!" :D ) and you'll be able to test your skills against a wide variety of skill levels.

Some people offer training as well - ask around in chat and I'm sure you'll find someone willing to lend a helping hand.

Lastly, you can always host your own game, or try and find games with similarly skilled players.
Last edited by uberge3k on 16 Jan 2012, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Re: Help! I'm new!

Postby FunkOff » 15 Jan 2012, 20:58

Thank you for making this, uber.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Cutelilbunny » 16 Jan 2012, 09:43

Where do I extract that colossal download?
Cutelilbunny

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Cutelilbunny

Postby pip » 16 Jan 2012, 11:16

The map pack archive has to be extracted into :
Documents/my games/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance /Maps
Then, all maps have to be extracted in this same directory (and you can erase the zip files).
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby lebensnebel » 16 Jan 2012, 12:26

Awesome that you put this together uber.
Maybe you could add some information about different game modes/victory conditions (assa, supremacy), coop-maps (survival), mods, and featured mods?

Btw, did anybody ever write an specific guide for team games?
Especially since we can do 6v6 in FAF, which is totally awesome, that might be very usefull and also help newer players understand what they are expected to do (back spot - do some air...).
If anybody has the time and knowledge, I would love a "special tactics" thread, with replays and some crazy strat that you planned ahead and pulled of as a team (superfast exp, or t3 land, or multiple ACU drop...).
lebensnebel

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: lebensnebel

Postby uberge3k » 16 Jan 2012, 14:55

Thanks for those; I've updated the main post with them. I'm sure it will be updated many times as I find more things to add, so feel free to suggest anything else I've missed! :)
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Zock » 16 Jan 2012, 21:54

You may add:

hotbuilds

link to the patch you need to install faf and how to do it (if there is a thread for this link to that thread)
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Cutelilbunny » 16 Jan 2012, 22:50

pip wrote:The map pack archive has to be extracted into :
Documents/my games/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance /Maps
Then, all maps have to be extracted in this same directory (and you can erase the zip files).

Thanks a bunch!
Cutelilbunny

FAF User Name: Cutelilbunny

Postby TheStrategist » 15 Feb 2012, 08:27

Has anyone gotten Gaz UI to work with steam FAF?

I have the lobby working and the game working but I can't use the UI mod while playing a game that was matched through the FAF lobby.
TheStrategist

Postby thygrrr » 15 Feb 2012, 13:59

TheStrategist wrote:Has anyone gotten Gaz UI to work with steam FAF?

I have the lobby working and the game working but I can't use the UI mod while playing a game that was matched through the FAF lobby.

I'll try this later today, I use TigerUI which is a fork and extension of GAZ UI, but I never seriously played Steam FAF for more than five minutes so maybe I didn't notice whether it was there or not.
I waited ten years for Supreme Commander (1997-2007)
and have not a single day felt disappointed with it!

thygrrr
Contributor

Been liked: 3 times

Next

Return to Help