tired of land bridge chokepoint maps

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: tired of land bridge chokepoint maps

Postby BLITZ_Molloy » 14 Sep 2013, 22:47

Those maps are certainly more relaxing at the end of a days work but at this point I'd mostly rather play some other game when I'm tired and play something a bit more challenging when I boot FAF up.
BLITZ_Molloy

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: BLITZ_Molloy

Postby bigcrap757 » 29 Nov 2013, 06:56

I agree, I would really like to see people playing a greater variety of maps. One of the reasons I don't play many games is because It's sometimes hard to find a game that doesn't have a chokepoint map. Maps such as wonder don't fill up nearly as fast as setons.
bigcrap757
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: bigcrap757

Postby errorblankfield » 29 Nov 2013, 13:53

Choke maps have the same general rhythm to them -which is namely eco early, eco often.

Open maps have more variables to focus on and more map dependent tricks to worry over.

So I can try and learn a million maps or learn how to play a choke map and call it a day.

Personally, trying to expand my map selection a bit but glad I finally have a strat that works well for chokes. (Gap specifically.)
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby Hawkei » 05 Dec 2013, 06:39

Unfortunately, the train of logic goes full cycle. The argument which might be used against the preference for choke point maps can also be used against the preference against them.

As a type of combat simulator, this game places opposing sides within a scenario. Which modifies and shapes the style of contest which will take place. Choke point maps feature some form of terrain obstacle which must be negotiated. It is no less valid than any other for of map. It is just as valid as maps featuring complete open waters, or terrain elevation complexities or vast open spaces.

In essence, I would say it is the safety of a cul-de-sac which people enjoy - and why shouldn't they? Learn to use the map, and its emergent gameplay, to your advantage.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Previous

Return to General Discussions