LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby tatsu » 20 Jan 2019, 11:47

foodlfg wrote:snip

hey foodlfg, I've been butting my head against the fact that joining certain games causes a java stacktrace crash around launching wine and lastly 1v1 causes a FA crash & bugsplat

does your solution work for doing these things?
Last edited by tatsu on 21 Jan 2019, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby foodlfg » 20 Jan 2019, 13:20

i haven't experience these so i didn't test for these.
i'm using the Python Client tho.

- hosting a game - when i host, there are only a few people who join (they can join). i don't have NAT port forwarding set up, tho i have ipv4 and ipv6 address too (which one is used?)... and UPnP is enabled in the Python Client, it might open the necessary UDP port.
now i asked in the chat and ~10 people successfully joined. looks ok.

- crashing when joining, when wine starts - i've never experienced something like this.
EDIT: oh you meant the Downlords Client, java crashes. ok i'm not using that.

- 1v1 - i haven't tested this yet but i will let you guys know if something doesn't work. on my old system, i had no (crashing) problems with 1v1

- on the other hand my game always crashes when i play the game too long. can someone test this for me? is this the same for everyone on linux?
you don't have to do much just run a long replay in the background (10X speed whatever). for example a Giebmasse (search for his name) replay, he has long Setons games. the game always crashes for me when the "game time" reaches ~43:00 so pls chose a replay that is longer than 1 hour (1:00:00)

- also i have a "problem" with sound too. when the lobby is running in the background (the window is not focused) the game has no sound. i can't hear when people joining. :(
EDIT: fixed with using wines virtual desktop.

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 20 Jan 2019, 18:50

foodlfg wrote:i haven't experience these so i didn't test for these.
i'm using the Python Client tho.

you do realize this will no longer be an option soon right?
the faforever.com website no longer distributes it.

us linux users have to start seriously thinking about what we're going to do going forward.

about the hosting bug : I thought it was the case I just successfully hosted a game, my bad.

foodlfg wrote:- 1v1 - i haven't tested this yet but i will let you guys know if something doesn't work. on my old system, i had no (crashing) problems with 1v1
well this is a big one, on java it DOES NOT START :

foodlfg wrote:- on the other hand my game always crashes when i play the game too long. can someone test this for me? is this the same for everyone on linux?
you don't have to do much just run a long replay in the background (10X speed whatever). for example a Giebmasse (search for his name) replay, he has long Setons games. the game always crashes for me when the "game time" reaches ~43:00 so pls chose a replay that is longer than 1 hour (1:00:00)

I can't get a giebmasse replay since on linux java faf search fails with error.
but anyways replays work well beyond the 43 min point for me :

foodlfg wrote:- also i have a "problem" with sound too. when the lobby is running in the background (the window is not focused) the game has no sound. i can't hear when people joining. :(
EDIT: fixed with using wines virtual desktop.
good to know, that one was the same for me.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby foodlfg » 20 Jan 2019, 21:39

thanks for testing.
that's bad, it means i have something going on with my AMD drivers->wine->game (i think you have an Nvidia card) or something like this.
i've tried everything (wine, game settings, game scenarios), nothing changes this crashing behavior for me. :/

tatsu wrote:you do realize this will no longer be an option soon right?
the faforever.com website no longer distributes it.

us linux users have to start seriously thinking about what we're going to do going forward.

: p

well i've been following the #conference-notes channel on Discord for about a year now.
when the maintainer of the Python client left, i "expressed my concerns" about this situation.

foodlfg 12/11/2018
yo people! wtf is going on regarding the clients?
i see things like this in #conference-notes : kill the python client? or the decision is postponed
before anyone kills anything, can we just slow down and at least make the java client as good as the python client? especially on linux.
currently the java client is in test phase on linux, i would say. we got a beta version from Geo a few month ago only. and it's not ready to substitute the python client yet.
pls take a look at this link: /viewtopic. ... 84#p169484
thanks

Geosearchef 12/11/2018
@foodlfg this kill the python client and don't do work 2 times thing has been going on for some time now
I don't expect the py client to be deprecated soon, as the java client isn't as stable as it should be (there is a reason it is labled as beta)
but if nobody wants to work on it (it currently has 0 active developers) it will die some time when we want to implement new features
(like team matchmaking, gw, ...)
I can take a look at the linux related issues in the java client, but I am currently busy with other projects (ice, gw)

see the other responses on Discord.

other stuff worth checking out regarding this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k_sqrcUjmg
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BeH ... fn30uh7zzt

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 20 Jan 2019, 22:06

foodlfg wrote:thanks for testing.
no problem, my man :)
foodlfg wrote:that's bad, it means i have something going on with my AMD drivers->wine->game (i think you have an Nvidia card)
I do.
don't think this specific problem could be graphics related. the replays are going to hurt the ram more are they not? I have 16 gigs or ram, maybe that's a factor?

about the python/java thing

yeah I'm aware they'll keep python up somewhat but to me at this point any time invested in the python client is sorta wasted effort.

I don't want linux in the specific case of FAF to be the one responsible for slowing down the charriot of progress, it would be so uncharacteristic.

But yeah that does mean we're in for a rough patch. Hopefully some progress will be seen on the front of linux inclusivity but without us making a bit of noise I think we might not even be considered.

But yeah as it stands python is "going down" and we need to consider the very real possibility that it may one day no longer be patched up to current version.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 22 Jan 2019, 16:33

foodlfg wrote:snip

Alright I've figured out something crucial : in $HOME/.faforever/bin "ForgedAlliance.exe" is supposed to be executable.

close faf, deleted both "$HOME/.com.faforever.client.FafClientApplication" and "$HOME/.faforever/bin", rerun faf, make $HOME/.faforever/bin/ForgedAlliance.exe executable.

what I have after doing this is a FAF where several bugs are gone :

• the 1v1 ranked crash
  • the join custom global match java error
  • the cannot host co-op
are all bugs that I can no longer reproduce.

this is a pretty big deal. it means I now run FAF with quasi identical behavior to windows now!

will need to do further testing...
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 24 Jan 2019, 23:22

So big news, I finally got some help at the Proton Github there is indeed a way to run steam's FA from command line :

here's how I did it :

1.) open steam settings, go to the steam play tab, turn on Steam Play for supported titles, then all titles. restart steam.
2.) install FA. wait for it to completely finish, do not run.
3.) search for the file : "user_settings.sample.py", for me it was in "$HOME.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.16"
4.) rename it to "user_settings.py"
5.) edit it: uncomment "PROTON_NO_ESYNC": "1", and add "PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS": "1", (with quotes), save and close.
6.) run FA from the gui. this will generate "/tmp/proton_$USER/run"
7.) you can now run FA with : "/tmp/proton_$USER/run /home/$USER/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe", where $USER is your linux session username.

and ....... drumroll ......evidently this works with FAF !

with the following setup :
Screenshot from 2019-01-24 22-21-48.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-24 22-21-48.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 1970 times

new guide video inbound !

happy times!
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 26 Jan 2019, 00:24

tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby douglasg14b » 31 Jan 2019, 03:25

Using the new steam + proton method, and using the new client I don't seem to have a faf_init.lua file under my $HOME/.faforever directory. This causes the game to fail to start in ranked 1v1 matches... Anyone else encountered this?
douglasg14b
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Zongrash

Postby tatsu » 31 Jan 2019, 11:11

@douglasg14b yes, me.

I was hoping someone would react and help me out there because I haven't figured it out.
Last edited by tatsu on 31 Jan 2019, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions