LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby Geosearchef » 13 Dec 2018, 19:36

@tatsu Why do you use wine to run steam? Just download ForgedAlliance using the normal steam installation. Either using steamplay or by tricking the linux client into downloading it nonetheless(see manual section here: https://github.com/dotfloat/steam-appmanifest#manual).

I'm hoping [...] and that Downlord, Brutus5000 and Geosearchef and the team find time to move the client to java 11.

That's not so much about finding time but more about missing library compatability. Trust me, we are more annoyed by the new java release cycle than you are ;). (Java 12 coming up in 4 months)
Last edited by Geosearchef on 13 Dec 2018, 19:58, edited 3 times in total.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby Geosearchef » 13 Dec 2018, 19:43

@foodlfg OpenJDK ist the name of the JDK/JRE. If you're downloading the JRE then you're downloading the OpenJDK JRE. That's why it's called openjdk. And NO, you can't run this using a different version of the JRE/JDK.

Additionally, afaik the oralce-java10 is currently just a placeholder (this is a pretty stupid idea) and points to version 1.8 till the jre becomes available. I would use https://jdk.java.net/10/ currently.
Last edited by Geosearchef on 13 Dec 2018, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
Geosearchef
Contributor

Postby Geosearchef » 13 Dec 2018, 19:52

Sry for 3 posts,
can someone give me a list of issues that still remain on linux with the java client using the _dfc_unix_0_9_2-beta.tar.gz release? Should we publish an additional .deb file or is the .tar.gz release fine for you? (I think the deb currently still has some permission issues aswell)
Geosearchef
Contributor

Postby tatsu » 13 Dec 2018, 20:25

Geosearchef wrote:@tatsu Why do you use wine to run steam? Just download ForgedAlliance using the normal steam installation. Either using steamplay or by tricking the linux client into downloading it nonetheless(see manual section here: https://github.com/dotfloat/steam-appmanifest#manual).

FA downloads and installs and runs just dandy via native steam.

that's what I'm talking about when I say "proton-steam" us in this thread have been experimenting with that... trying to find a way to run FA with a proton command line

but our efforts are foiled by, it seems, a will from steam to prevent specifically this.

If you have managed to do this or have any info that could help, I'm dying for that exactly.
(if you want I can point you to online evidence of my quest)

Geosearchef wrote:That's not so much about finding time but more about missing library compatability. Trust me, we are more annoyed by the new java release cycle than you are ;). (Java 12 coming up in 4 months)

I would imagine so.

I work in enterprise dev as a frontend (Angular, React, Vue, you name it) and in the REST/SOAP setup where I'm a front dev doing 100% front code and I collaborate with backends who do the back code, more then 70% of the time ..in java.

So I get a lot of flack from the java backends (that I receive in kind, don't worry, it's all play) about how the Javascript world is a wirlwind/tornado, what have you, basically a mess.

I really enjoyed this tongue-in-cheek moment where I got to ask them how it was that their "oh so perfect" java now had a release who's name must not be spoken. ;)

Geosearchef wrote:can someone give me a list of issues that still remain on linux with the java client using the _dfc_unix_0_9_2-beta.tar.gz release?

EDIT : these were moved to github issues, almost all of the are resolved.

these are the ones that remain :
https://github.com/FAForever/downlords- ... ssues/1099
https://github.com/FAForever/downlords- ... ssues/1098
https://github.com/FAForever/downlords- ... ssues/1097

Geosearchef wrote:Should we publish an additional .deb file or is the .tar.gz release fine for you? (I think the deb currently still has some permission issues aswell)

well linux users have moved on from the days of compiling software they just want to run and have on their computer

so the tar.gz thing is awkward by today's linuxer's comfort standards I'd say but really not that bad.

the .deb permission issues were pretty blatant and obnoxious so I'd say shy away from that. I'll look into how .runs are made since that's what's ubuntu and the gang are moving towards.

but anyways, if the permissions thing can be fixed (and it installs to home instead) then .deb is the way to go.
Last edited by tatsu on 23 Jan 2019, 13:53, edited 2 times in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby foodlfg » 15 Dec 2018, 19:02

tatsu wrote:
Geosearchef wrote:@tatsu Why do you use wine to run steam? Just download ForgedAlliance using the normal steam installation. Either using steamplay or by tricking the linux client into downloading it nonetheless(see manual section here: https://github.com/dotfloat/steam-appmanifest#manual).

FA downloads and installs and runs just dandy via native steam.

that's what I'm talking about when I say "proton-steam" us in this thread have been experimenting with that... trying to find a way to run FA with a proton command line

but our efforts are foiled by, it seems, a will from steam to prevent specifically this.

If you have managed to do this or have any info that could help, I'm dying for that exactly.
(if you want I can point you to online evidence of my quest)

i think he isn't talking about running SupCom Forged Alliance with Proton.
it's about downloading the game with Linux Steam and launching the .exe using Wine, i guess. i haven't tried that.

"FA downloads and installs and runs just dandy via native steam."
i don't get the "runs" part tho. FA (the base game) runs with proton/launch by Linux Steam, i've tried it. tho the opening, main menu, loading videos are laggy and unresponsive af for me... the game runs ok other than that i have the "max 1 hour game play" time with it too, after that it just crashes. it's the base game with Proton, not wine/FAF (that one does this too). i will make a separate post about this later, it annoys me...

also, i didn't test the latest versions of the Downlords/java client. i cannot give feedback right now.

EDIT
so i've tried to launch SupCom (installed by Linux Steam) using Wine.
it gives me "Aplicaiton load error 5:0000065434" for

WINEPREFIX=.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/supComExt64Test/
~/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-amd64/3.16/bin/wine
/home/test1/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe

if change the WINEPREFIX to a wineprefix that has already have SupCom (installed by windows Wine) then i get the same error.

i'm pretty sure i'm using the commands right because if i try to launch SupCom (installed by windows Wine) it launches...
WINEPREFIX=.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/supCom64test/
/home/test1/PlayOnLinux\'s\ virtual\ drives/supCom64test/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 16 Dec 2018, 15:00

foodlfg wrote:i think he isn't talking about running SupCom Forged Alliance with Proton.
it's about downloading the game with Linux Steam and launching the .exe using Wine, i guess.

that would be utterly pointless.

the "removed complexity" gained by not downloading and installing windows steam is gained right back, by having to to enable proton in steam options and then the path you have to point to is now way more convoluted. in both cases every other step such as installing wine is still there.

foodlfg wrote:i don't get the "runs" part tho. FA (the base game) runs with proton/launch by Linux Steam, i've tried it. tho the opening, main menu, loading videos are laggy and unresponsive af for me... the game runs ok other than that i have the "max 1 hour game play" time with it too, after that it just crashes. it's the base game with Proton, not wine/FAF (that one does this too). i will make a separate post about this later, it annoys me...

that's because you haven't read my posts about this :P :

The game runs perfect past the main menu.

(normally the games starts up to a black screen (you hear the intro video's audio but the screen is black))

I used to use alt-F4 to trick the graphics stack into refreshing by making the "do you really want to exit prompt" modal show up (which I then closed).

but thanks to this github's config section : https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton ... ig-options , I've figured out that actually, enabling PROTON_NO_ESYNC solves this in much cleaner fashion and utterly removes menu issues altogether and makes the game as a whole run identically to windows.

so what you have to do is rename
Code: Select all
user_settings.sample.py
to
user_settings.py

then edit it to have :

PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1

foodlfg wrote:EDIT
so i've tried to launch SupCom (installed by Linux Steam) using Wine.
it gives me "Aplicaiton load error 5:0000065434" for

WINEPREFIX=.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/supComExt64Test/
/home/test1/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe

if change the WINEPREFIX to a wineprefix that has already have SupCom (installed by windows Wine) then i get the same error.

i'm pretty sure i'm using the commands right because if i try to launch SupCom (installed by windows Wine) it launches...
WINEPREFIX=.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/supCom64test/
/home/test1/PlayOnLinux\'s\ virtual\ drives/supCom64test/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/bin/SupremeCommander.exe

this is what I run into and why we can't pipe commands from FAF to Proton'ed-FA :

...because we can't run it in a command line in the first place.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby foodlfg » 19 Dec 2018, 16:40

yeah, the PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 setting fix that proton x FA issue. thanks! : D

foodlfg

TE

Postby tatsu » 21 Dec 2018, 16:47

on bugs :

i'm pleased to find update prompt now downloads linux version instead of window, it does so to home/.faforever/cache/update :
Screenshot from 2018-12-21 15-45-40.png
Screenshot from 2018-12-21 15-45-40.png (28.95 KiB) Viewed 2330 times

however it does not notify the user of this path nor does it execute anything thereafter. this is WIP, right?

anyways great to see an update, will keep this post updated with bugs and other info.

UPDATE:
seems all the same bugs are still there. no linux bugs were fixed in this release.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 22 Dec 2018, 16:35

something changed between that .deb version and the current tarballs that has removed the ability to host and to join ladder matches.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby foodlfg » 19 Jan 2019, 23:57

I've tested my install guide (in my signature) on Ubuntu 18.10 too.
It works.

I've used PlayOnLinux this time, Wine v2.0.5 for running the stupid Windows Stream, installing the game, game first run
Then I switched to Wine v3.20 with modifying the FA Lobby.ini settings.

As for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I had bad experience with it at first, then they fixed some bugs in 18.04.1 (tested) but at the end I've switched to Ubuntu 18.10 too because of better Gnome3 (less bugs), better snap support, newer drivers, the community theme (18.04 is ugly and other user themes are not the best either).
Honestly, 18.04 LTS is not a big improvement over 16.04 LTS, it's a step back in some aspects even (ex: Gnome3 memory leak bug). :/

foodlfg

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions