LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby foodlfg » 13 Nov 2018, 20:08

tatsu wrote:
foodlfg wrote:meanwhile the Python client works or at least it has less issues than the currently available Downlord's client has.

I dunno man.

I gave up trying to build it in ubuntu which has sporadic python-qt support.

did anybody ever make a .deb version of the python client? (if that's even possible with how crazy the dependencies are)

as for the Linux python client,
i've tried and it works on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
every dependency you have to install is in my guide. you can install them from official Ubuntu repositories with apt, no magic is needed.

i'm not saying that having this many external dependencies is good because the available libraries can change in the future etc, but currently it's not a problem on Ubuntu and its derivatives.

as for the connection problems,
- i don't have problems with creating, joining games when i use the python client.
- i do have these when i use the java client aka the Dowlords client.
it's on the same operating system, with the same network and with firewall off, without manual port forwarding.

so there must be something that the python client does differently. maybe it's using UPnP, i don't know, maybe the java client is just buggy. i don't know, but there must be something there.
it's worth mentioning that i have IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in the same time. maybe one of the clients is using the other address... i haven't checked this yet.

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby ZeRen » 13 Nov 2018, 21:20

foodlfg

so it not just me...

tatsu

what router you using?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby tatsu » 13 Nov 2018, 21:32

I'm in france, so I'm not sure it'll help you much but my isp is Orange.

about france and routers in france ISP boxes and routers are one.

this has a tendency of facilitating port forwarding and reducing connection issues in general.

they just give you that one box and you're good to go. you can configure it because you have the account on it for which the url is 192.168.1.1, the login is "admin" and the password is the first 8 characters of the initial Wifi password.(regardless of ISP)

I have indeed port forwarded 6112.

as for what foodlfg rightly pointed out; it would seem indeed python FAF's upnp code doesn't crash on init. which would explain it all. I do see some erro messages in the console for java client. and upnp doesn't seem to be in effect which would explained why on my port-forwarded pc it works and why on your's you can only join games.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby ZeRen » 13 Nov 2018, 22:00

tatsu wrote:I'm in france, so I'm not sure it'll help you much but my isp is Orange.

about france and routers in france ISP boxes and routers are one.

this has a tendency of facilitating port forwarding and reducing connection issues in general.

they just give you that one box and you're good to go. you can configure it because you have the account on it for which the url is 192.168.1.1, the login is "admin" and the password is the first 8 characters of the initial Wifi password.(regardless of ISP)

I have indeed port forwarded 6112.

as for what foodlfg rightly pointed out; it would seem indeed python FAF's upnp code doesn't crash on init. which would explain it all. I do see some erro messages in the console for java client. and upnp doesn't seem to be in effect which would explained why on my port-forwarded pc it works and why on your's you can only join games.

could you post here a picture from you router configure, I am not sure what port forwarded mean and how it look
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby tatsu » 13 Nov 2018, 22:50

Screenshot from 2018-11-13 21-48-50.png
Screenshot from 2018-11-13 21-48-50.png (143.74 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

i have one rule for each btw (tcp and udp)
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby ZeRen » 14 Nov 2018, 11:49

I fixed it , all green now, but maps and mods dont work, I followed you guide didnt work, I did exactly what you did in video

I dont know, maybe for mint it is little different
Code: Select all
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance
ln -s $HOME/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps/ Maps
ln -s $HOME/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Mods/ Mods
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/users/zeren
rm -rf My\ Documents
mkdir My\ Documents
cd My\ Documents
ln -s $HOME/My\ Games/ My\ Games
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby tatsu » 14 Nov 2018, 20:18

ZeRen wrote:I fixed it , all green now
\o/
ZeRen wrote:I dont know, maybe for mint it is little different
yes very likely.

for me the "my games" folder gets created in my home on the first run of FA from steam.

but maybe for you it's created in your Documents.

find out where "My games" is. also look at the filepath FAF says when it is downloading. (this is very quick so a screencap might do it)
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 26 Nov 2018, 09:00

ZeRen wrote:I fixed it , all green now, but maps and mods dont work, I followed you guide didnt work, I did exactly what you did in video

I dont know, maybe for mint it is little different

did you end up getting maps and mods to work?

I'm gonna make a new guide using the new linux tarball instead of that old .deb as soon as I figure out either how to force java 10 install (will probably have to resort to copy-pasta of someone's folder) or Java faf devs fix it and go to java 11.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Mapsilva » 28 Nov 2018, 21:59

Hey guys

when running downlords client it doesnt connect on port 6112 and switches to random port.( cause of orange dot)
According to faf connection issues the client will switch to a random port if 6112 is not forwarded.
The thing is port 6112 is forwarded on my router and i have no active software firewall, any ideas?
I have dual boot win 8.1 and parrot os, in windows no problems game works ok, i can host join and do everything without errors or desyncs.

so i tried running client under sudo to see if it made a difference(but honestly with out expectation) and i get the error of no suitable java virtual machine found on your system define instal4java-home = to point to virtual machine, i mean wtf its already defined and pointing to java 8 oracle and why would it give me that error under sudo?
it runs ok without sudo except for the switching to random port
any help much appreciated

Thx
Mapsilva

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cubensis

Postby tatsu » 28 Nov 2018, 22:10

foodlfg wrote:oh just checked and the gallium nine + wine guy has updated his PPA today, it contains Wine3.20 now. let's hope it wont screw up things. lol

I dunno about you but for me yeah, it did :(

https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/issues/326
Mapsilva wrote:Hey guys

when running downlords client it doesnt connect on port 6112 and switches to random port.( cause of orange dot)
According to faf connection issues the client will switch to a random port if 6112 is not forwarded.
The thing is port 6112 is forwarded on my router and i have no active software firewall, any ideas?
I have dual boot win 8.1 and parrot os, in windows no problems game works ok, i can host join and do everything without errors or desyncs.

so i tried running client under sudo to see if it made a difference(but honestly with out expectation) and i get the error of no suitable java virtual machine found on your system define instal4java-home = to point to virtual machine, i mean wtf its already defined and pointing to java 8 oracle and why would it give me that error under sudo?
it runs ok without sudo except for the switching to random port
any help much appreciated

Thx

it expects java 10 only.
yes

yes I know it's absurd.

but that's how it for now until they can patch it up to java 11.

as for the router stuff :
what kind of a router setup do you have? ISP box + router or just router that's ISP? what country are you from? does your router have UPNP on or off ?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions