LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby foodlfg » 11 Nov 2018, 22:46

@ZeRen
not really important anymore since you managed to install the game using Steam.
but that Steam error is related to some Wine versions that don't work with Steam completely (i mentioned this in my guide btw). then i suppose you installed Wine 3.18 from the unofficial "gallium nine" repository which worked with Steam fine. right?

what is your Wine version right now?
$ wine --version

edit:
oh just checked and the gallium nine + wine guy has updated his PPA today, it contains Wine3.20 now. let's hope it wont screw up things. lol
https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex/+a ... u/winedri3
Last edited by foodlfg on 11 Nov 2018, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 11 Nov 2018, 23:40

just today? must have been right after I created my tutorial video this midday, when I asked version it said "3.18"
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby tatsu » 11 Nov 2018, 23:54

production value increase! :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDCEvZjybb4
Last edited by tatsu on 28 Nov 2018, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby ZeRen » 12 Nov 2018, 00:21

foodlfg wrote:@ZeRen
not really important anymore since you managed to install the game using Steam.
but that Steam error is related to some Wine versions that don't work with Steam completely (i mentioned this in my guide btw). then i suppose you installed Wine 3.18 from the unofficial "gallium nine" repository which worked with Steam fine. right?

what is your Wine version right now?
$ wine --version

edit:
oh just checked and the gallium nine + wine guy has updated his PPA today, it contains Wine3.20 now. let's hope it wont screw up things. lol

I have wine 3.18 staging

so I managed to join lobby and start a game, worked well, but I cant create lobby at all
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby tatsu » 12 Nov 2018, 00:42

ZeRen wrote:I have wine 3.18 staging

so I managed to join lobby and start a game, worked well, but I cant create lobby at all

follow my video guide, I bet you're just using a non vanilla map or a mod and faf is failing to point to their folders. you need to create links to them like I do.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby ZeRen » 12 Nov 2018, 09:52

tatsu wrote:
ZeRen wrote:I have wine 3.18 staging

follow my video guide, I bet you're just using a non vanilla map or a mod and faf is failing to point to their folders. you need to create links to them like I do.

I followed your new video and made the linking, but it is still the same

could the problem be because of proxy? I didnt have any conn problems tho
Attachments
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2018-11-12 08-45-54.png
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2018-11-12 08-45-54.png (830.49 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2018-11-12 08-43-38.png
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2018-11-12 08-43-38.png (829.83 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby foodlfg » 12 Nov 2018, 21:18

so i have gathered every problem we have found so far during using/testing the Downlord's client on Linux.
for some of them, we have found a workaround like the mod/map directory issue (also present in the python client lol) and we could managed to make the client somewhat work on Linux. however, there are still issues that effect basic functionality (joining games for example) with the client that prevent us from using it in our everyday FAF life. <3

i know that the deb file that Geosearchef has linked here doesn't contain the final version of the client. and seeing his posts here, even he didn't foreseen some of the problems that came up.

/viewtopic. ... 47#p167447
/viewtopic. ... 55#p167455
/viewtopic. ... 04#p168204
/viewtopic. ... 35#p168235
/viewtopic. ... 37#p168237
/viewtopic. ... 00#p168900
/viewtopic. ... 74#p169474

keep these in mind when using the Downlord's client.
also, the client needs a proper manual sooner or later. we try to fill in the gap here but it's not a great user experience and not everyone will find this thread anyways...

meanwhile the Python client works or at least it has less issues than the currently available Downlord's client has.

---------
also, this is not client related but:
the gallium nine Wine PPA only supports Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver) - and other distros based on Ubuntu 18.04...
"IMPORTANT: This PPA only supports Bionic now"

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 13 Nov 2018, 01:16

foodlfg wrote:meanwhile the Python client works or at least it has less issues than the currently available Downlord's client has.

I dunno man.

I gave up trying to build it in ubuntu which has sporadic python-qt support.

did anybody ever make a .deb version of the python client? (if that's even possible with how crazy the dependencies are)

ZeRen wrote:I followed your new video and made the linking, but it is still the same

yeah you definitely can't connect to games if you have a yellow dot instead of green.

this is probably unrelated to linux. you have to see if you can port-forward.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby ZeRen » 13 Nov 2018, 07:57

ZeRen wrote:I followed your new video and made the linking, but it is still the same

tatsu wrote:yeah you definitely can't connect to games if you have a yellow dot instead of green.

this is probably unrelated to linux. you have to see if you can port-forward.

I can join games, but I cant create them

I just try Downlord´s clien on win7 and i all so have the proxy orange, but I can create game and join them, looks like proxy is not the problem :roll:
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby tatsu » 13 Nov 2018, 08:42

ZeRen wrote:I just try Downlord´s clien on win7 and i all so have the proxy orange, but I can create game and join them, looks like proxy is not the problem :roll:

it is. that it have different behavior per os is to be expected.

linux-side you may have firewall blocking a bit more connection but overall your connection is unsuited to playing FA as would suggest your client.

there would be issues down the line I'm sure : a reduced park of available players; ...a high tendency to disconnect ten or so minutes into the game.

you should further playtest this on windows and you'll come to see that that orange dot is not to be trifled with.

the reason you can't host on linux is probably because exposing your port for others to connect to fails.

have you successfully played to the end of a game you hosted on windows?

to obtain the same behavior on linux as on windows i'd suggest switching to 1pv6 only system-wide (pretty complex, I'll dig up a guide later)

also you should try to enable upnp port-mapping for port 6112 ; https://askubuntu.com/questions/1028570 ... rt-mapping
Last edited by tatsu on 13 Dec 2018, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions