LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby Hex3Dnones » 10 Nov 2018, 19:52

Ah I am sorry. I tend to give confusing answers.
I know how it works.

we cannot start the game using Proton and the game windows executable only because Proton is dependent on Steam.
so no. not yet at least.

I gave the answer as question assuming this information is known.

Edit: addiion
Installation from CD/DVD with wine should work aswell.
Hex3Dnones
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby ZeRen » 11 Nov 2018, 07:17

hm, and what version wine you using? do I need to instal anyhing else? with winetricks or somothing?

and what about Play on Linux program? is it working with it too?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby foodlfg » 11 Nov 2018, 10:39

ZeRen wrote:hm, and what version wine you using? do I need to instal anyhing else? with winetricks or somothing?

it depends, what distro+version are you using?
Ubuntu 18.04 needs Wine3.10 or above, 3.16 works too for sure. for Ubuntu, see my guide in my signature.

you don't need Winetricks but if you install PlayOnLinux, you get Winetricks too.
it works with PlayOnLinux if you download the right version of Wine with it. i had problems with PlayOnLinux tho, it didn't download anything for me back then. worth a try tho.

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby ZeRen » 11 Nov 2018, 11:22

foodlfg wrote:
ZeRen wrote:hm, and what version wine you using? do I need to instal anyhing else? with winetricks or somothing?

it depends, what distro+version are you using?
Ubuntu 18.04 needs Wine3.10 or above, 3.16 works too for sure. for Ubuntu, see my guide in my signature.

you don't need Winetricks but if you install PlayOnLinux, you get Winetricks too.
it works with PlayOnLinux if you download the right version of Wine with it. i had problems with PlayOnLinux tho, it didn't download anything for me back then. worth a try tho.

I have Linux Mint 19, didnt even managed to run FAF

do you have 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby foodlfg » 11 Nov 2018, 11:56

what do you mean by FAF? the base game SupCom Forged Alliance? or what we play SupCom Forged Alliance Forever?
i assume you managed to install the base game using Windows Steam. if you try to run it from Steam, do you get any errors (the error window might be behind the game window)?

i use 64bit Ubuntu.

foodlfg

Postby ZeRen » 11 Nov 2018, 12:21

foodlfg wrote:what do you mean by FAF? the base game SupCom Forged Alliance? or what we play SupCom Forged Alliance Forever?
i assume you managed to install the base game using Windows Steam. if you try to run it from Steam, do you get any errors (the error window might be behind the game window)?

i use 64bit Ubuntu.

I did mean FAF client, i didnt try steam with the game it self yet (would take long and point to do that when I cant run FAF clien)

what FAF clien you use, normal or Downlord's Client?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby foodlfg » 11 Nov 2018, 12:37

the normal (python) client.
the libraries that are needed to install before running the faf client is in my guide. it's for Ubuntu but probably ok for Mint too...

on the other hand, if you don't post any error messages from the faf client/terminal, we cannot really help.

foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 11 Nov 2018, 14:30

ZeRen wrote:is anyone playing with steam´s proton?

FA standalone, obviously, works out of the box,

FA + FAF however, cannot be done :

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1073691 ... mmand-line
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1079459 ... ine-proton
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamPlay/comm ... eat_sheet/ (Can I edit Proton to try and make a game work?)
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamPlay/comm ... t/e6umvpm/

I looked into it alot, I still agree if we can figure out a way to pipe FAF's commands to Steam-Proton's FA then it would be a matter of a few clicks setting up native FAF + FA on linux, any noob could do it.

But right now the best bet is using wine (yes ....again! :( )

follow this guide to set up the special wine version to install FA (don't install windows FAF) :
/viewtopic. ... 70#p169037
and just use the FAF part of the this guide for FAF-linux :
/viewtopic. ... 50#p168246

I really REALLY would like to have this working via steam. it would be so much better. but it seems that it is steam putting locks on running the apps via anything other then GUI.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby ZeRen » 11 Nov 2018, 22:02

I managed to instal SC:FA with wine (didnt work with Luris, I could login into steam, but steam says something like dont have connection to download server - could not download the game)

I followed you video and successfully instaled FAF client, I copy pasted location of SC:FA and tried to run game and got this:
Spoiler: show
java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: com.github.nocatch.NoCatchException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/zeren/.faforever/bin/ForgedAlliance.exe" (in directory "/home/zeren/.faforever/bin"): error=13, Operation denied
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.encodeThrowable(CompletableFuture.java:273)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeThrowable(CompletableFuture.java:280)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniAccept(CompletableFuture.java:659)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniAccept.tryFire(CompletableFuture.java:632)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(CompletableFuture.java:474)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.complete(CompletableFuture.java:1962)
at com.faforever.client.replay.ReplayServerImpl.lambda$start$2(ReplayServerImpl.java:102)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: com.github.nocatch.NoCatchException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/zeren/.faforever/bin/ForgedAlliance.exe" (in directory "/home/zeren/.faforever/bin"): error=13, Operation denied
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
at com.github.nocatch.NoCatch.wrapException(NoCatch.java:61)
at com.github.nocatch.NoCatch.noCatch(NoCatch.java:104)
at com.github.nocatch.NoCatch.noCatch(NoCatch.java:82)
at com.faforever.client.game.GameService.lambda$startGame$34(GameService.java:472)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniAccept(CompletableFuture.java:656)
... 5 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/home/zeren/.faforever/bin/ForgedAlliance.exe" (in directory "/home/zeren/.faforever/bin"): error=13, Operation denied
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1048)
at com.faforever.client.fa.ForgedAllianceService.launch(ForgedAllianceService.java:124)
at com.faforever.client.fa.ForgedAllianceService.startGame(ForgedAllianceService.java:74)
at com.faforever.client.game.GameService.lambda$null$33(GameService.java:472)
at com.github.nocatch.NoCatch.noCatch(NoCatch.java:100)
... 8 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: error=13, Operation denied
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.forkAndExec(Native Method)
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:247)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:134)
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1029)
... 12 more

I noticed that in client's "Settings/FAF/Advanced" you have something wrote, but I have it empty, is it important?
Attachments
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2018-11-11 21-01-19.png
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2018-11-11 21-01-19.png (614.22 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
ZeRen
Evaluator

Postby tatsu » 11 Nov 2018, 22:08

yeah you need "wine" so

Code: Select all
wine "\%"

@ZeRen
i am in the process of uploading a new video.

what I meant above was to use each most up to date part of eachseperate guide. like for example ignore the lutris part in the other guide. but that's ok. you should be pretty much there.

don't forget creating the soft shortcuts in order to have the maps and mods folders correctly linked.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions