LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby tatsu » 30 Oct 2018, 08:42

@Mapsilva oh? share how you did it. maybe others have your issue in the future.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Mapsilva » 31 Oct 2018, 14:43

this is the java error i was getting.
ava.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in Application start method
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:917)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$154(LauncherImpl.java:182)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.faforever.client.FafClientApplication.showMainWindow(FafClientApplication.java:89)
at com.faforever.client.FafClientApplication.start(FafClientApplication.java:80)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$161(LauncherImpl.java:863)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$174(PlatformImpl.java:326)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$172(PlatformImpl.java:295)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$173(PlatformImpl.java:294)
at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$null$48(GtkApplication.java:139)
... 1 more

I couldnt edit the .bashrc file even with sudoedit because the file was in a writable directory, so had to revoke write permission from home/mapsilva before i could edit .bashrc.
Baiscally i was getting java error because java was unable to edit a file in home/mapsilva and was getting this error, so reinstated write permission to home/mapsilva and downlords faf worked fine.
@ tatsu hoow long did lutris take to download supcom, i waited like an hour and all i got was window saying forged alliance installing so ckeckedinternet traffic and nothing was downloading tried 3 or 4 more times and the same, so i downloaded game using steam now i can play the game using steam and lutris through a desktop shortcut for the game but not faf, will try today to get faf playing the game.
Mapsilva

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cubensis

Postby tatsu » 31 Oct 2018, 21:10

Mapsilva wrote:@ tatsu hoow long did lutris take to download supcom, i waited like an hour and all i got was window saying forged alliance installing so ckeckedinternet traffic and nothing was downloading tried 3 or 4 more times and the same, so i downloaded game using steam now i can play the game using steam and lutris through a desktop shortcut for the game but not faf, will try today to get faf playing the game.

I'll make a new video but I ended up dropping lutris in favor of native wine with gallium nine.

first completely and utterly remove wine from your system, removing lutris if it has nothing else of importance might help as well.

then you can follow this guide : https://askubuntu.com/questions/15551/h ... completely

and for extra safety you can seach your whole computer for wine and delete what you find.

then :

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:commendsarnex/winedri3
sudo apt update
sudo apt install wine-d3d9-staging

then

wine --version

to check that you are indeed pointing to wine 3.18 by default. then :

winecfg

to initialize and run base config :
Screenshot from 2018-10-31 20-09-51.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-31 20-09-51.png (29.09 KiB) Viewed 3315 times

then you can install steam then FA and run FA a first time to create config folders.
run downlord FAF as well and try to download a map/mod so that it creates required folders in your home.

then :

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance
ln -s $HOME/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps/ Maps
ln -s $HOME/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Mods/ Mods
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/users/t
rm -rf My\ Documents
mkdir My\ Documents
cd My Documents
ln -s $HOME/My\ Games/ My\ Games

this will make mods and maps functional.

you'll still get random race in ladder though.
Last edited by tatsu on 22 Dec 2018, 22:23, edited 2 times in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Mapsilva » 31 Oct 2018, 22:12

I wiil give that a go
thx
Mapsilva

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cubensis

Postby foodlfg » 02 Nov 2018, 10:20

tatsu wrote:figured it out.

for my Downlord FAF (for some weird reason), downloads straight to :
$HOME/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps

not
$HOME/Documents/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps

so I did this :
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance
ln -s /home/t/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps/ Maps
ln -s /home/t/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Mods/ Mods
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/users/t
rm -rf My\ Documents
mkdir My\ Documents
cd My Documents
ln -s /home/t/My\ Games/ My\ Games

I'm pretty sure the first two links are unused as it's only when I created the third that all started to work.

(mods work but aren't enabled via FAF, only ingame lobby (let's not ask for too much :P ) )

?? you have the same problem using the Downlords client as i have using the Python client?
that's odd.
what is the version of the Downlords client you are using? does it update itself?

btw everything i wrote about this problem involves the Python client.
i don't use the Downlord client and i didn't test mods/maps with it either. tho, i have experienced issues with it when connecting to lobbies / starting the game, maybe that is related to this, i don't know...

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 02 Nov 2018, 22:39

downlord client and no it doesn't update itself so far as I can tell. it's a weird build that installs itself to /opt/ a dir only root has access to so it can't change files in it's own folder when I run it with my rights.

I need to look into making a new .deb that installls to home like a regular linux app this way it has write priveledges and stuff. I just don't know how to make .Deb.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Hex3Dnones » 08 Nov 2018, 22:14

Installing itself into opt is the correct way. It is based on the FHS.
It seems weird because all other applications are doing it wrong especially steam. :lol:

What you have proposed is a portable installation. Even if it is not portable.
It is the updater that is missing.

One correct behavior would be using a daemon that is responsible for managing the installation.

I thought about making the needed daemon but i am to lasy atm.
Hex3Dnones
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby ZeRen » 10 Nov 2018, 17:26

is anyone playing with steam´s proton?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby Hex3Dnones » 10 Nov 2018, 18:00

How does this work, if steam is not used?
Hex3Dnones
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby foodlfg » 10 Nov 2018, 19:24

ZeRen wrote:is anyone playing with steam´s proton?

we cannot start the game using Proton and the game windows executable only because Proton is dependent on Steam.
so no. not yet at least.

but you're welcome to experiment with it. if you can start the base game (not faf) using Proton and without using Steam like we can with Wine then we are good to go. Proton is Wine basically btw.

there was a discussion about Proton back then here btw:
viewtopic.php?p=167100#p167100

Hex3Dnones wrote:How does this work, if steam is not used?

- we install the game using Steam (the windows version of Steam) using Wine.
- we use Wine to launch the Windows executable of the game (Supreme Commander FA) or the moded version of it (SupCom FAF). or more precisely the FAF client(s) does this.

you only need the game files and Wine to run the game on Linux.

or be more precise, i don't know exactly what you would like to know.

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions