LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby foodlfg » 23 Oct 2018, 16:14

since i was testing the game on Ubuntu 18.04,
with Ubuntu 18.04 the mesa, opensource AMD drivers, wine 3.10++ combo gives me ~15fps more than the older stuff in Ubuntu 16.04 on the same hardver.

btw gallium-nine didn't worked with SupCom. the game gave me this error "Unable to Create direct3d" no matter what i did. so i went back to the original drivers... but i kept Wine 3.18.
if someone wants to experiment with it, start here:
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers
https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex/+a ... u/winedri3
"Gallium-nine lets you run DirectX 9 games in a faster way, avoiding the inefficient translation of D3D9 calls to OpenGL."

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 27 Oct 2018, 10:03

on my ubuntu the options don't look the same :

I can't tick Vaapi for example

Screenshot from 2018-10-27 10-00-05.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-27 10-00-05.png (29.13 KiB) Viewed 3081 times

then once the game is installed :
Screenshot from 2018-10-27 10-01-06.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-27 10-01-06.png (663.57 KiB) Viewed 3081 times

so that option flies out the window.

the best would have been if I could have managed to terminal-start up Steam-proton's FA.

but there really seems to be no way.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby foodlfg » 27 Oct 2018, 12:19

sorry i don't get exactly what you mean.

do you you have "Enable Gallium Nine..." option is your Wine config?
if yes
remove the check mark from "Enable Gallium Nine..."

you don't want "Enable Gallium Nine..." as enabled because that is causing the "Unable to Create Direct3D" error message. it was the same for me.

foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 28 Oct 2018, 12:59

goddammit so that's what it was! that worked! thanks a billion @foodlfg. the great part about using .wine as wineprefix for this is that as a result the path to "my games" for mods and maps works on linux. need to test
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 28 Oct 2018, 13:05

nah maps and mods still don't work. will have to figure out where it's trying to download them to.

but it's always a big step up having the base FAF up and running.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby foodlfg » 28 Oct 2018, 13:38

You're welcome! o/

yeh. :/ i've tested this more on Ubuntu 18.04 with the latest phyton client (0.18.1) this week and i noticed too that downloaded mods and maps don't show up in the game despite the fact that the client sees them.

Thanks to Leopard and PhilipJFry in the (discord)technical help thread, we could solve it this week.
i still don't understand what causing this problem tho, but we have found an easy workaround.
on my old Ubuntu 16.04 with playonlinux install and with the 0.16.0 client, it just works. no magic is needed...

there are two directories
- where the client downloads every mod and map:
/home/test1/Documents/My Games/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

- and another one (in the fake windows directory system for Wine) where the game wants to find mods and maps:
/home/test1/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix64/drive_c/users/test1/My Documents/My Games/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

the workaround is that we need to create a symbolic link in the second directory that redirects to the actual dir where the client downloads maps and mods. so we need a fake "Mods" and "Maps" directory (which are links) in the second directory.

the actual commands i've used (Usage: ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME (1st form)):
test1@comp1:~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix64/drive_c/users/test1/My Documents/My Games/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance$ ln -s /home/test1/Documents/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Mods/ Mods

test1@comp1:~/.local/share/lutris/runners/winesteam/prefix64/drive_c/users/test1/My Documents/My Games/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance$ ln -s /home/test1/Documents/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps/ Maps

foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 28 Oct 2018, 15:32

I made these two links but when I download them. FAF is not using them. seems weird to me. will check wine's user dir.

I tried a bunch of things such as changing winecfg to from windows 7 to windows 10 (in case their generated "My Documents" symbolic link wans't up to date) making my own my documents symbolic link, deleting the symbolic link and putting a real folder instead with a copy of the needed folder tree under it, then I tried naming it "Documents" instead of "My documents" just in case.

can't really tell what it wants.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 28 Oct 2018, 16:01

figured it out.

for my Downlord FAF (for some weird reason), downloads straight to :
Code: Select all
$HOME/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps

not
$HOME/Documents/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps

so I did this :
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance
ln -s /home/t/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Maps/ Maps
ln -s /home/t/My\ Games/Gas\ Powered\ Games/Supreme\ Commander\ Forged\ Alliance/Mods/ Mods
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/users/t
rm -rf My\ Documents
mkdir My\ Documents
cd My Documents
ln -s /home/t/My\ Games/ My\ Games

I'm pretty sure the first two links are unused as it's only when I created the third that all started to work.

(mods work but aren't enabled via FAF, only ingame lobby (let's not ask for too much :P ) )
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Mapsilva » 29 Oct 2018, 19:11

Hey guys,

When running downlords faf client i get a java error:
i will post the error when i get permission to do so cause its filled with off site urls
Im running Parrot os debian based GNU/linux

any help appreciated

Thx
Mapsilva

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cubensis

Postby Mapsilva » 30 Oct 2018, 01:02

i have fixed the error just to let you know

Thx
Mapsilva