Ladder Leagues & Pools

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Ladder Leagues & Pools

Postby nine2 » 20 Jul 2020, 01:22

FtX released the new ladder pool system about two weeks ago. The idea is the lower rated players get a smaller, simpler map pool with only 7 maps in it. Additional maps get unlocked as your rating goes up, all the way to a 20 map pool for the 1800s+. Maps change monthly.

See the pool
See detailed explanation of how this system came about.
Ask questions in this thread.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby BanditAK7 » 22 Jul 2020, 08:25

While I appreciate greatly the work like this that goes on behind the scenes to make FAF what it is, I want to say that I am not a fan of this new system.

If your opponent is similar rating what does it matter how 'hard' the map is? Maybe you could have a sub 500 rating for new players but really you think a 1000 player can't do seton's? If you only play ladder most likely you will never play seton's. The most iconic map there is. How are you going to learn to play these 'hard' maps if you don't practice?

Personally Im already bored of my map pool.
BanditAK7

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: BanditAK7

Postby pieguy » 24 Jul 2020, 23:45

BanditAK7 wrote:If your opponent is similar rating what does it matter how 'hard' the map is? Maybe you could have a sub 500 rating for new players but really you think a 1000 player can't do seton's? If you only play ladder most likely you will never play seton's. The most iconic map there is. How are you going to learn to play these 'hard' maps if you don't practice?

I totally agree. I really like this new map system, but I think all maps should be unlocked after reaching like 800 rating.

The idea is great though. This way, new players can focus on core aspects of the game like eco, base building, and micro, without having to think about difficult map expansion and dealing with weird terrain.
pieguy

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: pieguy

Postby ThomasHiatt » 25 Jul 2020, 00:36

The 800-1300 rating range actually has the greatest understanding of the game and knows how to play all the maps perfectly. That is why they are always the ones giving advice in training channels and offering up the best balance suggestions. The people above 1300 rating are not any more knowledgeable about maps or the game. They are actually less skilled. If you ask some 1800 player how to play Seton's Clutch or some other difficult 20x20 map he will probably tell you he doesn't know and that it is really hard, but a 1000 rated player can play them all perfectly, and will readily educate you on exactly what to do. The 1300 players are clearly held back by the oppressive and elitist system of FAF. All the smurfs and ladder bots keep them down at a low rating, and the rating based map pools only allow them to play on simple dumbed-down maps where they can never demonstrate their true abilities and outplay their opponents. In order to correct this oppression and rating disparity, I propose that the 700-1300 range have access to the largest map pool.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Postby Captcha-Lover » 25 Jul 2020, 09:13

I have a better proposal. I should get such authority, for I am the literal god of this game and its most acclaimed scholar.

In a game all maps ever uploaded should be the map pool, excluding biass maps because he is a heretic.
Captcha-Lover
Crusader

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Captchagachi

Postby FemtoZetta » 25 Jul 2020, 19:42

If your opponent is similar rating what does it matter how 'hard' the map is?

If the map is hard, you are playing the map more than the game. That is not fun for most players who are low.

Maybe you could have a sub 500 rating for new players but really you think a 1000 player can't do seton's?

Yes, they can't play the map.

If you only play ladder most likely you will never play seton's. The most iconic map there is.

Oh no. If you play ladder you will also never play DualGap or Astro and they are iconic maps too lol. Just play global if you want to play them. Seton's is not really a 1vs1 map anyway.

How are you going to learn to play these 'hard' maps if you don't practice?

Get better at easier maps first. No real point in playing hard maps when you can't even do easy ones.
FemtoZetta
Crusader

Has liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: FemtoZetta

Postby BanditAK7 » 01 Aug 2020, 12:57

For god's sake mate I've been playing this game since 2007. Who are you to tell me I can't play seton's?

I did play global until we had network change and ping issues.
BanditAK7

Postby FtXCommando » 04 Aug 2020, 08:19

BanditAK7 wrote:For god's sake mate I've been playing this game since 2007. Who are you to tell me I can't play seton's?

I did play global until we had network change and ping issues.

You can play it, just get to the minimum rating that can qualify what you do on the map as playing. If you can't master the reclaim, dropping, proxy bases, naval, air, and com gameplay on the easier maps, I fail to see why you think you can combine all of it on sentons.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby BanditAK7 » 04 Aug 2020, 18:17

oh god the arrogance of some people in this community.. listen to yourself. thank you for such a patronising response

I can do all those things you talk of. point of reach, osiris and seraphim glaciers are some of my best maps which i do well at too.

Seton's was in the 1800 bracket and I ain't ever gonna reach that level.
BanditAK7

Postby ThomasHiatt » 04 Aug 2020, 20:39

It is interesting that you understand the game and can play all of the complicated and difficult maps very well, yet are only 1000 rating. If I didn't know better I'd say we have a prime example of the Dunning–Kruger effect here, and that you are the one being arrogant. Surely you have some other explanation to explain your lack of rating though?
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions