Forged Alliance Forever Map Vault Rules & Regulations

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Forged Alliance Forever Map Vault Rules & Regulations

Postby Morax » 31 Jul 2019, 02:23

Please refer to this document for the community rules on the use of the map vault:

FAF Map Vault Rules and Regulations
Last edited by Morax on 01 Jun 2020, 22:42, edited 7 times in total.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Forged Alliance Forever Map Vault Rules & Regulations

Postby Azraeel » 31 Jul 2019, 03:31

Very Though out rules. Good Job, Morax :shock: ;) :) :geek:

Suggestion: Rule For Pathing Inside the map. Some maps have insanely bad pathing...
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=18142 | Swarm Developer

https://discord.gg/ChRfhB3 | AI-Development Server

How We All View Ladder
https://i.imgur.com/0CadeyB.png

Balance Team Crushed
https://i.imgur.com/dGsYCCp.png
Azraeel

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Azraeelian-Angel

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 31 Jul 2019, 10:27

Hey Morax, good work!
I like to add a few technical terms.

Map Rating: Only maps that ensure fair playing conditions are "ranked". Meaning the map (heightmap, marker, props, units) is properly rotated/mirrored.
  • Balanced Map = Ranked
  • Unbalanced Map = Unranked

The One Map Name (Versioning): In order to upload and update a map correctly, settle on ONE map name, e.g name = "Best Map-Name" (see scenario.lua). Don't change it anymore or the versioning is not working and a new map is create. Only touch the map name, if you want to create a different version of the map.

Map Name Restrictions (Upload):
Unfortunately the upload was recently changed to the worst, from a mapping pov. Useful character in order to give maps meaningful names got removed, see: https://github.com/FAForever/faf-java-a ... -515689397
This automatically leads to the four-corner-bug >> broken map path. See discussion... I hope we find a solution soon.
svenni_badbwoi

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 44 times
FAF User Name: svenni_badbwoi

Postby biass » 31 Jul 2019, 11:28

eh so

- you need to state who is enforcing these rules, where to go if appeals are needed or who to contact for clarity, just make a perma invite link to the discord

Code: Select all
- about the examples, just embed the code itself straight into the forum so people can copy it over, also using "these" instead of 'these' around your paths n stuff are better practice and might resolve some issues people have with special characters and the like

pretty sure there were solid examples on the wiki of the code by like speed or whoever, just use those

- about three stratum rule, need to specify if that includes upper and lower stratum or not, still iffy on this rule in general

- don't need to oust authors in the rules, ask people to make non specific examples instead, and show them in ingame scenarios if you really need visual examples

about le pathing, still strange that this: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16397#p165578 isnt referenced especially since it also mentions special characters and other shit that everyone still seems to have an issue with in this thread

don't enforce symettry etc etc we discussed this in detail already

flat out ban the use of v2 or fixed edition or othersuch bull in map names

the formatting is a mess so if you want me to do it tell you how to do it give advice you know where to find me
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Blodir » 31 Jul 2019, 12:49

What about including copyrighted content in your maps? :thinking:
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby PhilipJFry » 31 Jul 2019, 13:58

can you add a rule regarding the versioning system with a link to the guide on how to increment the version number on a map?
eg "When updating your map you will use the versioning system (link) instead of renaming your map and thus flooding the map vault with your map derivatives"
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Morax » 31 Jul 2019, 19:05

Blodir, what kind of copyright material? Models and props, textures, decals, etc.? I think that's a great consideration and will draft something up.

Svenni and biass, definitely good insight. I want to link those references but have them written in a medium that is independent of the forum. I know several guides have been written but lost track of them all. Please let me know of any others.

I agree the 3 stratum rule is controversial, but many people agree the vault quality is so poor we need it. In the end, a vote like the ladder system or councilor applicant may be the best route. My opinion alone is harsh on the current state, but this is for the community so I want to hear people out now rather release, enforce the rules, and not have backing.

Philip, absolutely: the character usage and versioning in map name needs enforcement.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby PhilipJFry » 31 Jul 2019, 19:34

regarding props - i was under the impression that you can only use props that are either already in the base game/faf patch or loaded via some mod?
not sure what kind of issues we could run into here aside from mappers doing that incorrectly and thus producing broken maps?
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby armacham01 » 31 Jul 2019, 19:36

Maps should not have to be mirrored to be balanced. Eventually it would be nice to have non-symmetrical maps that are "fair enough" to support fair 1v1 ladder games. It would add depth to the game. We should not make rules that pre-empt the possibility of getting there.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby Morax » 31 Jul 2019, 20:19

armacham01 wrote: "fair enough"

Too subjective. Can you define "fair enough" so that we have a quantifiable metric? For example, how much mass reclaim per map area is allowed to be different? How much time in transit for units to get to critical expansions? Are air units such as a transport blocked for one player to a reclaim field but not the other? You can't use "oh we think it's fair" as justification...

In addition, the ladder team will ultimately decide this as they choose what the ladder pool contains.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Next

Return to General Discussions