Important: Changeable Target Priorities are unfair/cheating

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Important: Changeable Target Priorities are unfair/cheating

Postby Yolo- » 06 Mar 2019, 15:11

Hi, since there is a discussion about macros and auto clickers right now, I thought it would be a good time to talk about target priorities.

Most of you know that Strogo made an amazing mod called Advanced Target Priorities, which lets you adjust the target priorities of all units however you want.
I and many others are using this mod because it makes the game easier, more enjoyable but also gives us an unfair advantage.

In this thread I want the balance team AND community to discuss what to do about the target priorities of all units in general and come to a conclusion.

First of all some examples why something needs to be done about the target priorities.
Right now, everyone can edit them with the help of Strogo's or their own mod and give themselves such a big advantage, that stuff like macros, autoclickers or eco mod pales in comparison.
The main issue is the simple but great increase of unit efficiency in normal battles.
For example, I am using the mod to change the target priorities of my battleships to other battleships or destroyers. That way I can save apm and increase the effective dps of that bs a lot, because the bs won't shoot at frigates, but target high priority targets like destros instead.
The same thing applies for any other unit, like in t1 or t2 land battles with acu, when the snipe mode (which is implemented into the game) is activated and every unit attacks the acu without any microing, increasing the unti efficiency greatly.
Another problem is that people can do stuff like editing the target priorities of SAMs or ASF to target nothing else than Strats, which would make Strat snipes in many scenarios pretty much impossible.

I think we should get a consensus on what (mod)options and priorities should stay/be added to the game and then hardcode the target priorities into the sim code, so UI mods won't be able to change them anymore. That would make it fair for everyone.

EDIT:
Here's what snipemode does: https://prnt.sc/mu2v31
It's basically like this: target acu-> nuke->smd-> mex t3 -> t2-> pgen t3 ->t2 -> massfabs

In my opinion snipemode should stay in the game because of situations like ordering 40 tanks to attack an acu, makes them stop moving and can be really frustrating.
But keep in mind that snipemode can already save you quite some apm in some scenarios like winning a navy fight in setons and then efficiently killing the base without giving many oders.
Yolo-

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 30 times
FAF User Name: Yolo-

Re: Important: Changeable Target Priorities are unfair/cheat

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 06 Mar 2019, 16:08

I agree with the consensus part. Right now there's no clear ruling and I think that we should have it.

That being said, I like the target prioritizing mechanic and I've always thought we should have it, because in this game you always make a decision on which unit you want killed first, by your units. This is not limited to attacking an ACU with your ACU while there are units around, or actually attacking the units first. But for the situation of ACU + Army vs ACU + Army, the targeting mechanic never seemed consistent and if you were retreating, having to make this decision made your ACU stop moving.

When you're at the decision making process for ACUs, I see no reason to limit it to that situation alone.

I also thought that SAMs and ASFs targeted strats and gunships before other ASFs, as default. This is minor in the discussion though.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Voodoo » 06 Mar 2019, 16:16

First time I heard about this mod. Sounds realy intresting. My first question would be, could we add this mod to FAF as we have done with the hotkey mod before?
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby nine2 » 06 Mar 2019, 16:22

Seems like it should be more rigid to be more balanced. I couldn't believe it when I saw this approved by balance team. Or maybe it's fine but to me it changes so much, too much. Essentially everything offensive got a boost.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby keyser » 06 Mar 2019, 16:47

Voodoo wrote:First time I heard about this mod. Sounds realy intresting. My first question would be, could we add this mod to FAF as we have done with the hotkey mod before?

well the plan was to introduce it into main game, we had the PR and everything, but some people complain it was too complicated and ask that to be made in a UI mod, so whoever wanted to have the better version could get the UI mod.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Morax » 08 Mar 2019, 18:01

It removes the whole process of execution management, which is just removing fun of the game.

You can order a large army in, grab popcorn, and watch
... Where the hell is the fun? If I wanted to watch something happen rather create it, i would go watch a video of the same thing.

Edit: The only purpose I see in this "enhancement" is closing the gap between people with and without apm.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Blodir » 08 Mar 2019, 18:15

I prefer not being able to target fire while moving. There's an interesting choice in whether you want to move or shoot
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Voodoo » 08 Mar 2019, 21:31

I'm testing this mod at the moment. So is the download enough or is there something else to do? Do I have to take the settings my own?
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Morax » 08 Mar 2019, 21:52

Well, I mean, you have to know how to use it. You might need common tools mod (search "common") and enable it, but not sure as I've always had them.

You simply just go to the icon in bottom left for unit commands, change the attack type (you will notice it's different from stock). You can also set hot keys to this action which is where its real use shines.

Voodoo, who beside yourself is testing? Do you plan to have others weigh in on this?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Dro » 09 Mar 2019, 21:11

If the game had properly coded target prios this wouldnt even be a major issue, furthermore i think any skill ceiling increase and something which people always fucking complain about being fixed is a positive and it should be vanilla any custom mods that arent on the vault though i believe should be illegal as that is definitely unfair
Dro

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: Dro

Next

Return to General Discussions