I am finished contributing to FAF.

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: I am finished contributing to FAF.

Postby Steel_Panther » 25 Dec 2018, 00:18

FtXCommando wrote:Take extreme offense to bennis essentially accusing me of starting a FAF Nazi Club considering I was the one that found out (some) emojis work in aeolus. Very disrespectful to my Polish roots and I’d recommend a ban for 16 trillion light years.

Can’t think of a ban more justified than Feather’s. Maybe Super’s but it’s a tough one.

"16 trillion light years" is a distance, not an amount of time.
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Postby Morax » 25 Dec 2018, 00:26

Commando is in the debate club, not science and engineering ; )
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 25 Dec 2018, 00:29

And people say IM the one out of touch with the community.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Endranii » 25 Dec 2018, 00:47

Didn't you mean to put him on ban for 16 trilion years while making sure he doesnt come closer to faf than 16 trilion light years?
Endranii

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Empty_Spot

Postby Steel_Panther » 25 Dec 2018, 01:04

Ok sure, a unit of distance works if you want a restraining order, to keep him away from the internet...I guess. But I daresay that's a bit of a harsh judgment, since the universe is estimated to only be 93 billion light years in diameter.
Steel_Panther

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Postby biass » 25 Dec 2018, 01:38

Steel_Panther wrote:But I daresay that's a bit of a harsh judgment,

This is the warning punishment, also for discussing moderator actions in public you have been banned for 30 million galaxial rotations, thanks for your cooperation

- the mod team
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby NapSpan » 25 Dec 2018, 04:05

I have been around this community several years now, before starting my career I was already dreaming with the day I will have enough knowledge to start contributing in this project, thing that I,m starting to accomplish now by putting hours in front of the screen in my free time to learn what is necessary to help. In my case with Galactic war(and yet practising with web sockets so I don't f*** it up when trying to do faction chat, learning how to use docker etc...).
A lot of effort to try to contribute an awesome project drove by its community. Like many other people (maybe not that many).

It makes me very sad to see one of the guys who put more love on his contributions to go away just for internal bullshit.(trying to say that this should not happen at all)

My 2 cents here? This game is not made only by coding, its made making awesome maps to drain attention from infernal gaps, with content creators who bring more players to our community, with nomads, balance teams and all the other people who use their free time to contribute.

Biass point about the uid fix is pretty much valid.
The guys being payed should consider their contributions, work, and worry enough about it to fix it overtime and ensure some cuality.

Also about all the bullshit about slack. It is probably overcrowded since, for example, I entered a couple of months ago and there is no clear control about who is contributing or not. I should be asked from time to time if I,m making progress or not, something like that just for the sake of organising the work better.

Nevermind, after this thread I would expect some clear explanation and scheme of faf structure because there is a feeling of desorder I truly hate and gives the image of decay.
Problems with contributions in nomads project because weird shit with GitHub, people outside the council having influence...we should fix/clarify this problems ASAP to have a clean environment to keep working on.

Probably I redacted this like shit but I really want this whole project to succeed, the one we all put love and time on it so, let's not f*** each other.
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby FtXCommando » 25 Dec 2018, 04:46

Who do you think is being paid to look at FAF code?

FAF Structure: /viewtopic. ... 4&start=40

You’re going to enter into some solidly unneeded politics with your Slack idea. Now we got Slack Secret Police going around knocking on your pms demanding to see your work and assessing if you have Positive Contributor Credit Score. Better toss those PMs to prove your utility to the greater community or get some SOLID character witnesses (definitely wont be abused). Better hope your idea of contributing is accepted by the person moderating you and that the person moderating you has no vendetta to delete you (how can you bring up nomads example and this police system up in one forum post).

All because we got too many names in the Slack or something? How about we just remove the dudes that cause problems instead of adding more pointless work on the FAF plate?
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby epic-bennis » 25 Dec 2018, 05:10

biass wrote:I'm sure I'll get a pm from misterk saying you had a discussion and I was to rename the role rig---- oh no I probably won't, you're just here to subliminally attack people under a veil of self reightiousness.

I would ask if posts by bennis were just removed from now on, it's actually unfathomable that in the one niche case any discussion of mod stuff isn't instantly nuked off the face of the planet or given a null "make a report 4head" response and people who ALSO complain about moderator related shit make it an excuse to pull off some just suicidal retribution because they fired off racial slurs in eurohours and got banned. I can literally imagine the drool flowing from the side of people's mouth in a few years when moderation gets progressively worse and yet it's the people who squandered the chance who will get punished the most. So thanks, thanks for making sure faf stays like the garbage it currently is.

I asked voodoo I would say about half a year ago in pm if you want to know the truth of it. I actually report most anti-semitic stuff secretly to voodoo. Why do you think I don't buy what you guys say and why I don't get along with blackheart. ;)
epic-bennis
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: epic-bennis

Postby Katharsas » 25 Dec 2018, 05:33

biass wrote:I chose a pretty good example for my point because regardless of difficulty, a two year long wait for a skim read by what the majority of the professional level developers on this client deem a hobbyist has resulted in a massive lowering of the trust relationship between different areas of contribution and a large amount of users who may never work on anything for faf ever again. This is the end result no matter how you attempt to justify it.

Your point is not very clear to me.
If you are criticizing bug prioritization, then it's not a good point because there is no one to blame here, there was no error made with the bug's handling. Its just happened to be a bug that was not fixed for a long time. So what, there are dozens of those. I explained why its irrelevant how easy it is to fix. Even if you make a poll about which bugs should be fixed first, trying people to force to work on those is pointless. And again, this is an inherent trait of open source development. Criticizing how communication happens on Slack may be a valid point, because this is were errors were/are made, but prioritization of bugs is not broken, or not fixable, depending on how you wanna look at it.
You could try to improve the process by urging everyone to spend more time on prioritization, so there is a stronger consensus about which ones are most important, but this could very well be wasted time if people choose to ignore this anyway, and they ma.

Sure, the end results of various people working in various degrees of disorganization may lead to various degrees of ugly, but there is no discussion to be had about this anymore. Why would devs discuss this if it has been discussed tons of times and is pointless and leads to no better solution. If you propose a good solution to this, the entire world of Voluntary Open Source Development will probably eagerly listen.

The baseline for Open Source Development may sound harsh, but it still is "if YOU want to see it fixed, fix it or convince somebody that can do it that it is very important yourself" and it probably will always be, not just in FAF, but pretty much everywhere.

All in all i see a lot of people complaining about development, but actual pratical drama-free, blame-free proposals of how an improved development process should look like is a a rare sight. Sometimes people are even complain about bugs not getting fixed but don't even open an issue in the issue tracker (bugs that aren't in the tracker pretty much don't exist).
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions