A Few Question about ACUs

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, JJ173

Re: A Few Question about ACUs

Postby Farmsletje » 14 Oct 2018, 04:59

You mean mods that defy logic even more than regular faf gameplay?

Anyway i'm talking from a game balance perspective, not about what some random dudes might or might not like.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 350 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby moonbearonmeth » 14 Oct 2018, 11:06

Crazy Cossack wrote:Now, a new question. Why can't an ACU walk and chew gum at the same time? Of course, I mean why can't it upgrade while walking? It can regenerate while walking, after all. I don't expect this to be changed in FAF (though I think it would be a nice change). People probably like it just the way it is in FAF. However, it is food for thought for a mod.

Dunno, why do engineers stop to build buildings?
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 174 times
FAF User Name: Alma_Elma

Postby Crazy Cossack » 15 Oct 2018, 01:55

"Why do engineers stop to build buildings?" - moonbearonmeth

The building is at a fixed site and builders have a fixed build range. Also, possibly the mechanics or programming of it might be easier if the builder stops.

An upgrade to a unit is internal and there is no inherent reason for it to stop moving (unless it uses all its power for the upgrade and/or the process is too delicate for movement and impacts). Of course, we can rationalize any reasons we like but the true yardstick is the effect on gameplay as Farmletje wrote. In turn, people will have different opinions about which design choices lead to best gameplay. I have no problems if FAF stays the way it is on this matter. I'm simply considering something a bit different for a mod.

The ACU is a rather paradoxical unit. There is nothing inherently wrong with that. It helps to give FA and FAF their particular "flavor" as an RTS. By "paradoxical" I mean it acts like say a combined King and Queen from chess. It is both the strongest unit (until T4 anyway) and yet the key vulnerability. Lose it and you lose the game.

I am considering a test mod which both reduces offensive power of the ACU and yet reduces its vulnerability to snipes. These are somewhat opposite requirements so it might be tricky to get the ideas right. People might hate such a mod. That's fine they don't need to use it and it's only a learning exercise anyway. :)

At the same time, the ACU will still require some offensive/defensive power and some vulnerability to snipes. So it's a matter of degree, not a matter of crude changes (like doubling its health points and nerfing its weapon). It's the unbalance of the ACU early on small 5x5 maps that is particularly an issue IMO. But its buffing up and regen with kill veterancy also seems excessive to me.

I've even considered having the ACU arrive with no walking ability and requiring a first upgrade (not too expensive) to be able to walk. This would tie it down early and the first expansions and battles would be done with the handling of tier 1 armies, air forces and navies.
Crazy Cossack

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Crazy_Cossack

Postby Anihilnine » 15 Oct 2018, 02:10

ACUs are punished for upgrading because they cant move & overcharge. This is a good thing in my opinion because it makes the choice of when to upgrade richer.

You are welcome to make mods for whatever you want but you are asking all of these subjective questions ... generally people dont want changes of any kind :)
Anihilnine

Has liked: 252 times
Been liked: 373 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby moonbearonmeth » 15 Oct 2018, 02:32

Crazy Cossack wrote:The building is at a fixed site and builders have a fixed build range.

Okay so the builders have a fixed build range and they can assist an ACU.
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 174 times
FAF User Name: Alma_Elma

Previous

Return to General Discussions