FAF gameplay suggestion

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

FAF gameplay suggestion

Postby ZthueeSpam » 14 Sep 2018, 12:07

I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement this, but I had an idea and I'm not sure if anyone has suggested it before.

As you know, some maps like Setons need full share turned on to prevent games being effectively done after 5-10 minutes when the mid player dies, or after 10 minutes after the air player dies. But of course in many such games, the next highest rated player inherits the dead player's base and eco's twice as hard and often dominates the game because of this. This is probably still better than the whole game being effectively over for everyone, but it's not ideal and it discourages sniping.

My suggestion is either:
Implement an 'in between' option, where the dead player's eco (mexes, storages and power) get destroyed, but the factories, units and engineers stay alive and get transferred to the next player.
or
Implement the opposite of this, where the dead player's units (engineers, tanks etc) get destroyed, but the factories and eco remain and allows the inheriting player to rebuild quicker.

Either of these would still make it an uphill battle to re-establish the position, but it wouldn't make it completely impossible to recover like it often is when the entire base disappears and enemy units flood in before anyone else can respond. It would probably provide better balance in games like Setons IMO. So my question is... can it be done? Is it practical to do? Is there interest in doing it?? Would it need to be a mod or could it actually be implemented into the main game as an option alongside full share and no share?
ZthueeSpam
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ZthueeSpam

Re: FAF gameplay suggestion

Postby Farmsletje » 14 Sep 2018, 14:27

Unless you have a game with a high variety in skill In full share sniping acu's is still very effective. The only thing that doesnt work are retarded all in acu snipes where you sacrifice everything just for a snipe. Your idea would probably make sentons unplayable since sniping acu's would be the only thing that matters
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby ZthueeSpam » 15 Sep 2018, 02:22

The thing is, in general, sniping the enemy ACU is supposed to be the only thing that matters, since that's what ends the game. As I understand it, the main reason we leave full share on for Setons is to make the game last a bit longer so that the dead player doesn't result in an immediate curb-stomping for the rest of the team.

Well I can't speak for really high level Setons that you play, but for us 'average joes', sniping an ACU (usually the mid player) with full share tends to just result in one player (either a navy player or air) getting all of mid's eco, digging in with some PD to prevent the position being overrun and then just rushing early strat bombers (if air), or t2 navy (if navy) that destroys the enemy navy and mid very quickly. Not always, but often. It almost rewards the best player in the game (the one with the highest score) with double eco and gives them the ability to dominate the game that they wouldn't have had otherwise. Two bases given to one player is more efficient for mex upgrades than two separate players operating the bases, so the eco advantage always goes to the player who inherits the base. What I'm suggesting is something that lets the game continue, but doesn't give the inheriting player such an eco advantage.
ZthueeSpam
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ZthueeSpam

Postby ThomasHiatt » 15 Sep 2018, 04:40

I suggest we remove all modes except for 1v1.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Postby moonbearonmeth » 15 Sep 2018, 18:36

ZthueeSpam wrote:The thing is, in general, sniping the enemy ACU is supposed to be the only thing that matters, since that's what ends the game.

It almost sounds like changing the victory condition changes people's priorities. Who'da thunk it?
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Postby Katharsas » 15 Sep 2018, 22:52

Winning because an enemy relieved a teammates mexes from going to waste is part of Quality Setons Gameplay. /s
Ask a mapper if its possible to delete 4 core mex spots from map when its player dies.
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby Farmsletje » 15 Sep 2018, 22:54

you aren't a true mapper if you don't know that!
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Katharsas » 15 Sep 2018, 23:27

Farmsletje wrote:you aren't a true mapper if you don't know that!

Surprise, im not a mapper, OP is not a mapper, so you just helped nobody. Are you trying to say that it is not possible?
Woosh.

Well it should be possible to make a mod that spawns some indestructable unreclaimable invisible/destroyed-looking civ buildings on top of the 4 mex spots nearest to a players starting position on death, if there is no solution to actually delete the spots.
Last edited by Katharsas on 16 Sep 2018, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Katharsas

FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby FtXCommando » 16 Sep 2018, 00:26

(the joke here was that just about every mapper has zero scripting knowledge)
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Katharsas » 16 Sep 2018, 18:46

Damn.
Katharsas