Ladder Rotation/System Comments

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Ladder Rotation/System Comments

Postby biass » 08 Sep 2018, 16:50

Mad`Mozart wrote:Honestly, you are bugging the wrong guy for that. Im sure biass knows a lot of technical stuff and such, but he's not really a 1v1 guy? :roll:

I'm like 1500 ladder or so from when i played a while back, but Morax is talking more about the content rights stuff that has not been addressed yet.

I'm happy to talk about ladder pool stuff, but I rather only rate aesthetics. Not like i cannot judge a map's game-play, but might as well leave that to the others.

That being said, if there needs to be communication between the two teams when it comes to a "map-making" related issue, im probably the best guy for it, no offence to the others but... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Chosen » 22 Sep 2018, 09:54

Ok I'd like to know who makes these ladder map choose and decisions and WHY ?
Chosen
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Chosen

Postby JoonasTo » 22 Sep 2018, 11:43

Some map considerations from the current pool:

Esgaroth's Ruins has neutral civilians with a PD when everything should be hostile, leads to confusion
-> either make PD hostile or remove PD

Osiris is full of underwater elevation changes. These can cause issues, among other things torpedo's can't hit things on the bottom, transports also don't take hills into account when dropping into water, this means anything dropping off from transports near these cliffs will die, like commanders.
-> smooth out underwater terrain

Burial Mounds is really quite asymmetric, thus not balanced for positions
-> judge if too out of balance

Averus has a couple weird factory edge build possibilities but these are mirrored so it's balanced for spots, it's just quite hidden.
-> fix cliffs to either show these clearly or deny these

Dragon River 1vs1 the corner cliffs are a bit high/steep so it causes bombers to miss if flying over them.
-> location not central, thus not a big deal but would be nice if they were not quite that high

Dirty_Mounds at a glance this looks very favoured for Aeon/Seraphim I'd be very doubtful about including this
-> not enough info to say but remove if too favoured

Jagged Subsidence the cliff in the middle causes bombers to miss/bomb themselves
-> smoothen cliff

Moonshine has this bloody annoying mist/cloud that keeps hampering your vision
-> live with it
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby Farmsletje » 22 Sep 2018, 21:03

Chosen wrote:Ok I'd like to know who makes these ladder map choose and decisions and WHY ?

If you would spend some time reading this topic you'd easily find the answer to your question. But just in case you don't have enough time:
http://forums.faforever.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16383#p166723
with an example:
Spoiler: show

JoonasTo wrote:snip

To whom are you addressing this? The ladder team isn't here to change maps but to choose a ladder pool. Anyway, issues with certain maps are taken into account (if they are affecting the gameplay) and will result in a worse map rating
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby ThomasHiatt » 02 Oct 2018, 21:08

Are we ever actually going to vote on the pool?
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Postby Chosen » 03 Oct 2018, 20:45

Hello again :D
I've noticed that some of the maps are not on symmetrical, balanced etc... I can try fix them.
Chosen
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Chosen

Postby Farmsletje » 03 Oct 2018, 22:12

Most of the imbalances are already known and are mostly from old gpg maps that don't have perfect symmetry, but the differences are too small to really matter.

If you found imbalances on new maps you can report it to the ladder team in the PC discord or here on the forum. What will most likely be done after that is an attempt to contact the original author of the map so he can fix the issue himself.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby FtXCommando » 07 Oct 2018, 08:03

So thanks to axel12 and Brutus we now have a voting app for ladder pools. This will help us get a better understanding of how the broad spectrum of FAF players feel about certain maps in ladder. It’s hard for me to give any information on how exactly we will utilize the voting results because I don’t want to make any promises without first seeing the degree of participation that the polls have.

What I can say is that the polls will generally run for a period of two weeks and will allow you to state your feelings about a certain map. This data should at the minimum give us a chance to see how our ratings correlate with public opinion and whether we should take another look at our data.

Starting with this pool, I’ll be updating the Ladder Pool Thread with the dates that the ladder polls will run through. That way all relevant information will be kept in one area.

Also the votes for the pool will happen soon, promo councillor discussion and some background stuff about implementing certain aspects of my ladder changes have taken up my time currently.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Morax » 16 Oct 2018, 04:46

You really need a ladder pool vote to know "Varga Pass" is not liked?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 16 Oct 2018, 07:17

ya
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions