Ladder Rotation/System Comments

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Ladder Rotation/System Comments

Postby FtXCommando » 30 Jun 2018, 01:02

As always, I'll begin this by explaining that you can leave any comments and criticism in the PC Discord where it is much easier for the Ladder Team to see what you write. If you want to join, follow the link in my signature.

Otherwise, if you would rather state your mind on the forums (related to ladder smh), this is the thread to do that. Let loose.

Here is a link to the old ladder thread for those that want to look at it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13742
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Re: Ladder Rotation/System Comments

Postby FtXCommando » 30 Jun 2018, 01:31

So I'm going to be sticking with the present system Tokyto left with. I will be doing 3 week rotations where I keep 10 maps in the pool and replace the rest.

I also plan on having a system where after a rotation is done, a survey is made available for people to show how much they enjoyed a map. Basically, you will be given 30 questions and be able to state if you really enjoyed a map, slightly enjoyed it, are indifferent, slightly disliked, or strongly disliked. You can also skip the questions by not giving an answer if you have no opinion on the map. I will basically have the survey for Ladder Pool #1 released at the same time Ladder Pool #2 is put into the rotation and keep the survey running until the end of Ladder Pool #2.

However, I'm not sure when exactly the system will be ready. I can't say if it will be ready for the first few pools so if you feel strongly about any maps, just let me know on the discord or over here instead.

Also, I will be discussing other ladder rotation concepts with the Ladder Team and my Communications Team so that we can do a poll on what kind of ladder system is preferred by the community. However, this will happen in the coming months at the earliest so don't expect it to be coming soon.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby soilworker » 10 Jul 2018, 12:14

Heya FtX,

Are you able to explain how FAF pics a ladder map from your selection? I'm inclined to say it's not uniform.
soilworker
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: soilworker

Postby Chosen » 11 Jul 2018, 15:12

it might be nice if you ask before the decision from other players what they want and do not in to ladder map pool.
Chosen
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Chosen

Postby FtXCommando » 11 Jul 2018, 17:13

soilworker wrote:Heya FtX,

Are you able to explain how FAF pics a ladder map from your selection? I'm inclined to say it's not uniform.

The ladder system has not been changed since Tokyto was in charge. The maps are picked at random to the best of my knowledge. I would like to implement a system where you cannot get a map more than twice in a row, but as all coding things it isn’t really in my power to do more than inform devs people would like the change.

Chosen wrote:it might be nice if you ask before the decision from other players what they want and do not in to ladder map pool.

It would be nice if people gave feedback on my discord or this thread if they were upset about maps. I’m not giving out public surveys to pick maps. I have a team for that. I will use surveys to gauge opinion on maps after a ladder rotation is over.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby F-odin » 02 Aug 2018, 13:18

Small issue, the link to see the ladder pool thread on the client still leads to the old thread
F-odin
Crusader

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 17 times
FAF User Name: F-Odin

Postby FtXCommando » 02 Aug 2018, 14:43

Yeah I already let the devs know about the issue. I think it’s outdated on the join game tab as well as the option to look at the pool through options in the client.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby FtXCommando » 10 Aug 2018, 21:26

This pool will be very well taken and will have zero controversy behind it.

So we’ve begun moving towards a more automated pool process that relies on some c o d e and is based on how the ladder team rated certain maps. We’ve also decided to split the category of “classic” maps into “commons” and “classics” for a better pool representation. Basically classic is now solely for the classic gpg maps and really well made custom maps (loki, regor) that tend to be the typical ladder maps people think of. Common maps are more of the maps that tend to be well liked but aren’t as recognized as strong 1v1 maps in the community. The split is around 10 classic maps and 12 common maps from the old 22 classic maps in each pool.

We’ve also decided to get rid of the system where certain maps are kept from each pool as the maps that scored higher in the ladder team discussions will be more likely to appear in ladder pools which gives a solid foundation for pools with some tertiary variation/flavor.

ANYWAY, this is the first pool with a lot of new concepts we want to test out so please be gentle. For those wondering why we aren’t doing some community vote on this change while voting on map pool size at a later time, it’s because we will ultimately be using this automated system with any map system size. We decided it was the best way to go in order to lead to better pool construction.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby Morax » 16 Aug 2018, 04:46

So, who or why do you think it's okay to put "The Pyramid" in the pool after it was clearly stated it was a bad idea when Tokyto_ was PC? I know you are doing this "experimental spreadsheet" thing, but could you at least use "lessons learned" rather just choose random stuff to get the community feeling?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 16 Aug 2018, 16:35

We’re correcting ratings and categories as we go on to prevent this degree of controversial maps. I think pyramids went a full point and a half down in rating from where it was at the start of the pool.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Next

Return to General Discussions