Map and Mod Councillor Applications

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Map and Mod Councillor Applications

Postby moonbearonmeth » 05 Apr 2018, 00:52

lmao
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Postby Brutus5000 » 06 Apr 2018, 10:04

Cleaning the vault is a difficult task. (And the same applies basically to the mod vault)

Let's say there are 5 versions Open Wonders well numbered from 1-5.
So you can simply delete the first 4 versions right? But now you notice, that version 1-3 is from a different author. When I delete the first 3 versions, the original author is no longer shown and can't upload a new version without creating a new duplicate.

Then there are cases where you have different versions which are not properly numbered (version 2, version 2 fixed, version 2 improved). What do you do now?

Sometimes authors want both versions to be available, because there are major changes and people might prefer the old one (just like the FAF patch i.e.). How do you decide whether this is the case?

This sounds like minority cases but actually that is daily bread in the map vault cleaning. I have extracted all maps to Excel, grouped them by name similarity algorithms (which is only partially accurate of course) and looked over a few hundreds and these cases make 80-90% of the map vault cases.

Also a problem: two maps that sound very similar but aren't (like the different Open Wonder flavors).

Most of these decision can only be made by the map authors / uploaders. Unfortunately they can't even delete their own uploaded maps, even if they wanted to. This would be the first developer task to tackle in my opinion. And after that we could ask all authors to clean their own uploaded stuff first.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby Farmsletje » 06 Apr 2018, 13:32

The problem is that quite some people add random trash. i remember a week when some dude uploaded 20 versions of astro craters and one of those was just colouring the entire map purple. i'm not saying that we should remove all of those, but they shouldn't be in default on the front of the map page. Need to add some filters so they only become visible after you enable them.

Ofc this requires coding, so..
Do iT yOuRSelF
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Brutus5000 » 06 Apr 2018, 13:39

Downlords client has the ability to rate maps, mods and replays between 1 and 5 stars and also add text to your reviews. The vault there also shows the top rated maps. It's ready and working. The front page you mentioned is legacy php crap embededd into the python client. Your choice.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Apofenas » 06 Apr 2018, 13:43

Brutus5000 wrote:Downlords client has the ability to rate maps, mods and replays between 1 and 5 stars and also add text to your reviews.

Btw standard FAF client used to be able to do that too. This thing is broken for years now. Why?
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby FtXCommando » 06 Apr 2018, 13:43

Brutus5000 wrote:Downlords client has the ability to rate maps, mods and replays between 1 and 5 stars and also add text to your reviews. The vault there also shows the top rated maps. It's ready and working. The front page you mentioned is legacy php crap embededd into the python client. Your choice.

Won't solve any issues. You have 85% of PvP FAF devoted to playing these maps so any downvotes are going to be lost in the sea of upvotes.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Farmsletje » 06 Apr 2018, 13:44

You know that 99% of faf players that communicate more than 5 words / week choose the normal client because chatting is almost impossible on his client
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Brutus5000 » 06 Apr 2018, 14:20

Apofenas wrote:Btw standard FAF client used to be able to do that too. This thing is broken for years now. Why?

I can only guess, but as I said the vault is an embedded php page that is really hard to read and harder to change. Probably at some point the database structure has been changed and nobody wanted to fix the php code. It also doesn't use any kind of authentication so it would be wide open for any sort of scripted manipulation.

FtXCommando wrote:Won't solve any issues. You have 85% of PvP FAF devoted to playing these maps so any downvotes are going to be lost in the sea of upvotes.

Partially it does, because
a)all of the duplicate gap version that are not played anymore won't be upvoted. And then it is up to the people who dislike the default maps to write some nice reviews so that other maps get upvoted (and you could also downvote Gap & Co.)
b) Most of the players don't bother reviewing maps, so you have the momentum.

Farmsletje wrote:You know that 99% of faf players that communicate more than 5 words / week choose the normal client because chatting is almost impossible on his client

I can't really counter that argument since I don't know what it is that you don't like, but I know there is currently work done on a more compact visualization of the chat.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby FtXCommando » 06 Apr 2018, 14:28

Problem with the java client chat is that you see like 8 lines of text on the screen at any given time. It's just really annoying to read conversations and participate in them compared to the python client. Don't know if it was ever changed, because last time I tried it out was a year ago or something.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby twentyseven » 06 Apr 2018, 17:42

FtXCommando wrote:Problem with the java client chat is that you see like 8 lines of text on the screen at any given time. It's just really annoying to read conversations and participate in them compared to the python client. Don't know if it was ever changed, because last time I tried it out was a year ago or something.

just gonna sneak this in here... https://github.com/FAForever/downlords- ... t/pull/775
twentyseven
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: twentyseven

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions