Map and Mod Councillor Applications

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Map and Mod Councillor Applications

Postby biass » 28 Mar 2018, 14:59

Voodoo wrote:a lot of people are playing the same maps ever and ever again. So I think we need more maps like Setons / Gap of Rohan or Canis 4vs4.

I uh, what? am i not reading this right?

Everyone says they're supa dupa against gapperino and hate all "the plebs" who play on it, and then won't host a lobby to save their life, so many mappers trying to "stop the gap problem" (by making the next gap, essentially) and i'm starting to think promotion, and people just being too scared to host, is more the issue.

Here's my question to the applicants: Are you able to create a map poster to put on the news page at a high enough quality, and if not, how are you going to plan to promote anything?
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Voodoo » 28 Mar 2018, 15:29

There are players who just want to play simcity. So they are looking for maps with only one way to their base or better to say they are looking for "easy" maps like voodoo tournament. And these people aren't active at the forum. So I thought I would bring this up here.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Gorton » 28 Mar 2018, 16:35

Getting people to try new maps in their comfort zone might help them try new maps in general (is a pretty good point and we should think about it).
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Morax » 28 Mar 2018, 17:27

Icedreamer and others discussed with me about how we want to try and encourage people to go beyond "simple" maps.

If someone like Voodoo wants to promote the creation of such maps then mine as well rename this whole thing to "Gap of Rohan Forever."

It would be great if council members would show some interest in creating an environment where we don't cater to such boring and simple gameplay.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 28 Mar 2018, 17:39

Unrelated to any post in this thread, but i add my support to anyone who can undertake the role without any form of map elitism.

Also, its maps and MODS, not just mods, or just maps.

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby JJ173 » 28 Mar 2018, 17:40

Morax wrote:Icedreamer and others discussed with me about how we want to try and encourage people to go beyond "simple" maps.

If someone like Voodoo wants to promote the creation of such maps then mine as well rename this whole thing to "Gap of Rohan Forever."

It would be great if council members would show some interest in creating an environment where we don't cater to such boring and simple gameplay.

I think it's a bit unfair to go right ahead and snatch every single version of Gap, Thermo, and Astro Craters away from users who enjoy games that are about turtle play. Lobbies like that tend to have more of a relaxed, welcoming environment. Whilst I agree that these maps are taking over our player base, we have to try to be fair to the whole of our player base, not a handful. The issue with these maps is that there are so many different versions of those and they are flooding the vault. I personally would put up a vote to give users a chance to pick a working version of each map they would like to keep and we remove the rest from the vault.
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Postby Morax » 28 Mar 2018, 17:53

You are missing my point: it's fine those maps exist but to actually promote more as Voodoo stated is extremely concerning.

As for the slightly varied versions of Astro craters and etc, yeah I think some moderation action should take place and warn the author who keeps flooding the vault.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Viba » 28 Mar 2018, 17:57

I think Voodoo meant maps with equal popularity rather than map characteristics? Also he asked how to encourage players to try out _new_ maps.
Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

Postby Voodoo » 28 Mar 2018, 17:59

Morax wrote:You are missing my point: it's fine those maps exist but to actually promote more as Voodoo stated is extremely concerning.

Sometimes I think you don't like this nice map.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby biass » 28 Mar 2018, 18:01

It's most likely different people making a minor addition and pushing it, as is true for Dual Gap, and thus i don't think they need actions, you wouldn't say the same about different versions of a map you do like, or hey, when the entire 1st 3 or so pages was literally every ultimate map being republished with an extra change or two.

Maps that don't actually work need people who know how to work the system go in and help the original author out. The broken map is replaced with a new one if versioned right, and the "vault is fixed" again.

also, cannot get ppl to try new maps if the new maps are bad, same goes for mods, and the cancerlor should be aiming to draw people into the crafts rather then just expecting new good content to appear.

biass
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions