Map and Mod Councillor Applications

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Map and Mod Councillor Applications

Postby JJ173 » 27 Mar 2018, 12:06

Hello all,

Due to recent events, this position has reopened. I'm sure most of you have read the announcement about this. We are now looking for a new member of the FAF community to fill this role. If you wish to apply, please leave an application below. We will discuss this position in our next council meeting in a few weeks. Decisions on how we will elect a new Councillor will be revealed soon, we have a lot to discuss.

In the mean time, those of you who wish to apply, I have a few recommendations for your application that may help. These are purely recommendations and do not have to be used. However, these will help. I recommend providing information such as:
- Your FAF Username
- Your interest in the role
- How you will maintain your duties as Map and Mod Councillor
- What you will change as the Map and Mod Councillor
- Some pledges (You can view ours here: https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... _of_Setons).
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15604&start=70#p158460

Please be patient, we will get back to all applicants soon. Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and good luck to all of you that apply.

Kind Regards,
JJ - FAF Promotion Councillor.
Last edited by JJ173 on 27 Mar 2018, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Re: Map and Mod Councillor Applications

Postby PhilipJFry » 27 Mar 2018, 18:18

fyi we (the moderation team) has some tools regarding the map vault which allow us to hide/unhide or rate/unrate maps
so if the mod/map councilor wants to do some stuff regarding maps regarding visibility in the vault or change whether or not the map is rated then we can see to that
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby SilentWarrior » 27 Mar 2018, 18:50

Hi all.

I know there has to be loads of players that will be interested in this position, but, I'll throw my hat in, anyway.

My faf name was MisterK

I have played computer games since the early 80's and have seen a ton of maps! I have a background in Electronics and Microelectronics, which from above and also in layout, look like maps!
I like maps, and have been trying to learn how to make better maps for faf. (Confidence is building, slowly)
I'm one of the older members, in the faf community, and can bring some level of maturity to the role, (currently I have only 5% saline solution running through my veins).
I spend an awful amount of time on faf, not necessarily playing games, tho, as I believe there is a nice social element to this community. (In fact, Heaven even commented, that I'm all over the videos that come out for faf).
I only play SupCom and Football Manager and the occasional Dawn of War. So, I'm not likely to be away from this game, anytime soon.
My motto is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it;
As a nominee, I pledge that:

I will spend at least 4 hours per week working on these Responsibilities.
I will be available at least 2 hours every other week for a voice call to discuss these Responsibilities and the responsibilities of other FAF Councilors.
I will use and be available on the FAF Slack (chat) as much as possible.
I will do my best to help the other Councilors perform their responsibilities.
I understand that if I am unable to perform these duties, I will resign or be replaced.

I really don't know what I would change to the role and responsibility, but I believe I have the experience and knowledge to adapt and I'm not afraid to ask for help and guidance. I believe you need someone that has spare time, is available and will be steady, in the job. I can meet all three.
I spent quite some time watching from the outside and have now joined into the faf community, so most of you would not have heard of me before.
But, if newness is a problem, then could I recommend Moonbear or Jagged <- He's on faf, first thing in the morning, I know because I'm there too!
There is one thing I might introduce or find a way to introduce, and that is some sort of feedback from players regarding the maps they play on or don't play on, whether it's in ladder or not. I believe that as players change, so do their interests, also as more new players come into faf, the expectations from those players, changes also over time. This directly affects, which maps are played on most of the time. Also, as you update changes inside the game, this will have a big effect on which maps can take advantage of those changes, so these maps need to be highlighted to players.

It's been mentioned that there are quite a few maps in the vault. Most of these have either not been played for some time or are next to useless. Someone said that there are over 20k. I find this hard believe, that you would have this many maps and they've been left unchecked. This would be my number one priority, to reduce this pile. I would be interested to know how Speed2 had been dealing with them. Since this pile of maps ain't going away by itself, it would probably consume quite a bit of time. ( I wonder if DrIvoRobotnik would be interested in covering mods, while I deal with the maps, initially?)
The second thing that would hit my list, would be, getting more better quality maps being produced. Ideas, I would have to think about, so I'm open to suggestion, although I do have a few ideas of my own and would love to try them out. ( I wonder how many Russians are making maps? as we have a very strong Russian community)
Either way, I'll probably put a little team( I can get a few people) together to tackle the map problem, as it's going to consume the most amount of time, heck 20k, it's time to roll up the sleeves!
It'll be a good time to reach out to the faf community at large and see if I can't get some people interested in some map projects, might cover it initially as a little tourney idea and then grow it after that. (a tourney with new maps, I wonder if that's been done before?)
The number one thing is to listen. I'm sure the answers are out there somewhere, we just need to ask the right questions to the right people. There will be some suggestions that might initially look like crap, but given a little time and polish, could turn into diamonds! Not everyone likes the same maps and it's not ever a good idea to force people to play on maps they don't like or are different to the style they play. I suppose Mods go hand in hand with the maps players use, this game's number feature is that everything can be countered, so Mods should follow this guideline.

With ideas floating around, about modifying Ladder, basic battle maps for beginners to start on, need to collated or created for that purpose and then included into the pool.
Advance players would love some new quality maps for the pool, this has to be a priority, as they are the ones that really keep this community going in the long term. If these two things can be successfully implemented this year, we could see a level of excitement from experienced players, this would trickle down the newer players. This might lead to more Live Streams being created by the experienced players and that would lead to more awareness of faf in general and hence new players trying out faf.
Good Luck to whomever you choose and thank you for reading this.
Last edited by SilentWarrior on 21 May 2018, 02:32, edited 3 times in total.
Greetings and Salutations
SilentWarrior
Contributor

Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 46 times
FAF User Name: MisterK

Postby FtXCommando » 27 Mar 2018, 19:27

Smh Jagged shills trying to give him 2 seats on council
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby SilentWarrior » 27 Mar 2018, 20:23

I've been upgraded to 'shill' woohoo!!!!!
Greetings and Salutations
SilentWarrior
Contributor

Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 46 times
FAF User Name: MisterK

Postby DrIvoRobotnik » 27 Mar 2018, 21:17

I'd feel disappointed if I didn't make an attempt here, so I'll hit the recommended headings in order.
FAF username:
DrIvoRobotnik

My interest in the role:
I've been playing strategy games like this since I've been too young to appreciate them. I started with Command & Conquer when I was about 9 and I found this gem when I was about 12. Thankfully I haven't needed to look any further to find a game I love. That said, when I discovered computer programming in high school the thought crossed my mind that I could make a cool mod, and once I had become more comfortable with it, I turned my sights on my Supreme Commander 1 installation and went to work. After spending several hours trying to figure out what an "scd" file was, and how to figure out which units where which in the units folder, I had created a myriad of adjustments to the game that my current self and just about anyone else would find utterly disgusting. I had turned the Flapjack into an unavoidable missile machine gun, I had given the Mech Marine a personal shield, and I had given the Governor class cruiser the gift of flight. While all of this may seem purposeless, relatively simple, and perhaps unimpressive, it should be noted that I had figured this out mostly on my own by the age of 14. This reflects my ability to learn new things, and my desire to change the game. With the guidance of more experienced members of the community, thanks to yenon specifically, I was able to make a mod that formulated all of my, admittedly awful, ideas into a cohesive mod. The mod is called "Robotnik's Balance Mod" if you want to check it out in the mod vault. With assistance from the community I was also able to learn map making, albeit pretty badly. I am the proud author of Octo Gap, 4 dual gaps placed side by side, and soon to be Octo Octo Gap, 8 Octo Gaps placed one on top of another. While none of this establishes notability as a map maker or a modder, to have this position would serve to motivate me to produce higher quality maps and mods for the game.

How I will maintain responsibilities:
I don't know exactly what else needs to be said here so I will be concise. I will dedicate large amounts of time to maintaining my responsibilities. I have ample amounts of time on my hands, which as I understand, not many people do. I assume the responsibilities and tasks that I would need to tend to are as listed here http://direct.faforever.com/2017/12/map ... rqOb4jwbcc

What I will change:
This is a hard one to answer. As the Map and Mod Councillor I will endeavor to change myself and the FAF map making scene in such a way that would benefit the community most. Hopefully that's not too vague :oops: .

My pledges:
I will spend at least 4 hours per week working on the Responsibilities associated with my role.
I will be available at least 2 hours every other week for a voice call to discuss these Responsibilities and the responsibilities of other FAF Councilors.
I will use and be available on the FAF Slack (chat) as much as possible.
I will do my best to help the other Councilors perform their responsibilities.
I understand that if I am unable to perform these duties, I will resign or be replaced.
I will redouble my efforts to improve my map making and modding abilities so as to better govern this role.

Other things:
I have long been inspired by this game and the community, it has been a defining part of my life and I would like to do so much more to give something back. I am only 16, I lack experience to some degree, but in my desire I lack nothing. If given this role I will endeavor to exceed expectations. So finally, if I am under consideration, shoot me a pm! I'm Robotnik on the FAF discord, I'm on extremely often. Thank you for your consideration.
DrIvoRobotnik
Crusader

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: DrIvoRobotnik

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 28 Mar 2018, 01:36

Greetings all,
I'm Ike on forums, DwightEisenhower in FAF.

Having played 610 global, 272 ladder and ~100 unranked matches on numerous maps and with numerous mods, I obtained a good understanding of the game, the strategy, expansions, and I also have a coding background (Java). I am responsible and able to meet deadlines. I constantly learn and I am available on discord, FAF, Github. Several examples of such learning are my mod which tweaks the current balance, a map selector I wrote when ladder was a mess, and a name generator for Galactic War.

I pledge to
be available for two hours every other week to discuss matters with the rest of the Council
Dedicate 4+ hours to my duties every week
make myself available on Slack
Cooperate and assist other councilors as able
Resign if unable to perform the duties and recommend a replacement
Continuously deepen my understanding of maps

Best Regards,
Ike
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby keyser » 28 Mar 2018, 04:21

To the 3 previous people applying, i would like to ask :
- what are your POV on keeping the map vault clean and tidy ? What are going to be your rule for this purpose ?
- how are you going to improve the diversity of map being played in team games ? Or at least how are you going to help people change playing only gap/thermo/astrocrater to some more sophisticated map ? (ofc, it may not be an issue for you, in this case, pls do notify it)
- any idea on how you are going to make mapping more attractive (especially good quality map), if you wish to do so ?
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Voodoo » 28 Mar 2018, 14:02

There are over 20.000 maps. I tried Vikings map pack a while ago and I had the prbolem that the Lobby crashed sometimes when it tried to load all maps into the list. That is funny and a large number but not usefull at the end. As everybody knows, a lot of people are playing the same maps ever and ever again. So I think we need more maps like Setons / Gap of Rohan or Canis 4vs4. We have so many well balanced maps but no one is playing on these maps as they aren't popular.

So my question is, how would you persuade players to try new maps?
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby moonbearonmeth » 28 Mar 2018, 14:17

MisterK wrote:But, if newness is a problem, then could I recommend Moonbear or Jagged

Who in their right *nice* mind would recommend me?

But fine, if you want some guy as **** paragraph

Hai guys~~! (人◕ω◕)
My name is Moonbearonmeth but you can call me Moonmoon for short, hihihi~
I've been playing computer games since like forever, some of my favourites being Clicker Heroes, Diablo II and Nekopara (It's soooooooooooooo kawaii like me (๑→ܫ←))
But about supreme commander I've only been around for like a year or two but I am totes a pro now which shows I must be reeeeeeeeeeeeeaally cool and good at this game (but if you call me a try hard I will cry (⋟﹏⋞))
I really love mods you know, some of my favourites are BHEdit, Nuclear Repulsor Shields and anything made by Washy (He is such a great guy). This gives me a really diverse range of knowledge of cool mods which is like, perfect for this job.
I also really like new maps you know I play really cool maps like things that aren't stinky gap (because I'm a pro remember). I even once talked to a guy that made a map which basically means I know everything map makers have to do and understand their issues so I can really help them (๑>ᴗ<๑)

So like I suuuuuuuuuuper duper promise to like...
-spend a bunch of time doing faf stuff (like I already do)
-spend some time during the week to talk about faf stuff (like I already do)
-I'll totes chill in the Slack (like I already do)
-I'll definitely be friends with all the other councilors (JJ is already like my bestie and Jagged and Icedreamer are such cuties (*○’3`)★+゚)
-And if I'm kinda not cool at this I'll let someone else do it.

Vote for me hihihi~~~

[edited by Voodoo]
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Next

Return to General Discussions