FAF LAN?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

FAF LAN?

Postby Brick79410 » 07 Mar 2018, 10:10

Is it possible to run a 10+ player game on LAN? This would be offline. Looked at the past posts about this and there didn't seen to be a consensus.
Brick79410

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Brick79410

Re: FAF LAN?

Postby Exotic_Retard » 07 Mar 2018, 10:33

you can run faf with faf changes if you open the exe here C:\ProgramData\FAForever\bin\ForgedAlliance.exe
note the path name is programdata not programfiles. its a hidden folder.

after that you can host a game through the main menu and you should find that since faf supports 16 player games you can also play them offline.
make sure that each PC has run faf at least once and hosted or joined a game to get the patch downloaded. If there is no internet then you can have one person dowload the patch, and then redistribute the C:\ProgramData\FAForever\FAForever\ folder that contains it via usb or whatever method.

alternatively, if you have an internet connection, each player could play through faf as well. you need to go into the faf client, Options>Settings>Game Port and then set the port to a different number of each player. and then turn on UPnP (im not entirely sure) and be able to just host a game on faf and have your lan mates join.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Brick79410 » 08 Mar 2018, 00:49

Thanks for the info! I'll try it out and report back.
Brick79410

Postby benikens » 08 Mar 2018, 02:59

I would suggest you go for the offline option if possible I play FAF with my mate a fair bit and UPNP doesn't seem to work most of the time so we had to manually set a port forward and even then we get proportionally increased latency to the game for each player on the network trying to play just ends up being a lag fest.
benikens

Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Benikens

Postby Brick79410 » 13 Mar 2018, 08:41

The offline LAN option works perfectly! Haven't tried the UPnP method, hopefully won't have to. Thanks for the help!
Now if FAF could transfer maps/mods through LAN that would really be something.
Brick79410

Postby Defiant » 11 Aug 2018, 21:40

July 2018, successfully played LAN with ~8 people using the offline mode. I found a good way to get everyone set was to have everyone play a REPLAY with the right settings, cancel out of the replay, then connect to the LAN game.

The UPNP route did *not* work for more than 4-5 people, even when several people change their port numbers. I would sure love to be able to play LAN vs Internet sometime!

Def
Defiant
Crusader

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Defiant

Postby Geosearchef » 11 Aug 2018, 22:07

@Defiant. I'm going to take this as an opportunity for some advertisement ;).
We are currently working on creating an ICE adapter for FAF and hope to be able to integrate this as soon as possible. We're currently in the testing phase.
All game traffic will be tunnelled through this adapter and forwarded to other adapters. They connect using the ICE protocol. This allows us to connect directly via LAN/subnets, connect via STUN through a forwarded port/do NAT traversal (it's called hole punching) or to proxy using a TURN server. This should make connection issues much less visible and will also enable all players within the same room to connect directly instead via the internet while still being able to play with everyone else (on the internet).
We've made some great progress in the past months but currently still need help testing, so if you wanna join and help fix FAF connections, join the official faf discord and give the #ice-testing channel a visit. (It's just about starting a client and letting it run, the test and log collection is automatic)
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby nine2 » 12 Aug 2018, 00:46

if each player uses a vpn then LAN vs Internet works
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times