FAF Tutorials Proposal

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: FAF Tutorials Proposal

Postby Medicraze » 06 Feb 2018, 17:51

idk if this will help.
But i did make a generalized approach. it should help brand new players a lot with basic concepts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhrz0rZ ... rFvN&t=12s
Medicraze
Medicraze

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 72 times
FAF User Name: Medicraze

Postby JJ173 » 06 Feb 2018, 23:34

Medicraze wrote:idk if this will help.
But i did make a generalized approach. it should help brand new players a lot with basic concepts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhrz0rZ ... rFvN&t=12s

Incredibly, we can put this in with the Heaven's stuff on the tab. :D
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Postby JJ173 » 07 Feb 2018, 01:01

Wesmania wrote:Coop is implemented through a "coop" mod. We can add a similar "tutorial" mod that can work its magic in a similar way. I think there won't be trouble integrating this into the client, and the delivery method is already there.

I really hope so, I'd love to see some playable tutorials in the tab to help the new players out. In which case, when could this possibly be done by? We have plenty of tutorial maps ready for integration.
JJ173

Postby Wesmania » 07 Feb 2018, 18:47

JJ173 wrote:
Wesmania wrote:Coop is implemented through a "coop" mod. We can add a similar "tutorial" mod that can work its magic in a similar way. I think there won't be trouble integrating this into the client, and the delivery method is already there.

I really hope so, I'd love to see some playable tutorials in the tab to help the new players out. In which case, when could this possibly be done by? We have plenty of tutorial maps ready for integration.

If we setup the test server to host the tutorial mod and maps, I can get it done and work out all the issues.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby JJ173 » 08 Feb 2018, 15:39

Wesmania wrote:
JJ173 wrote:

If we setup the test server to host the tutorial mod and maps, I can get it done and work out all the issues.

Not sure but perhaps we can modify the current coop mod to support only 1 player and just have the server distribute that with the custom tutorial maps that are listed in the tab. Like when new custom coop maps are added.
JJ173

Postby Wesmania » 09 Feb 2018, 00:08

As long as it's a separate mod and the tutorial maps are in the vault, I think we're good.
Although come to think of it, I assume voice files are specific to each and every tutorial? I assume we'd like to download these per map, do we want to just pack it with the map itself? I'd have to check if it's supported already or if we'd have to download it separately. Of course, we could just download them as a resource from the vault, too, though we'd have to figure out some versioning scheme for them.
Wesmania
Contributor

Postby JJ173 » 09 Feb 2018, 12:55

Wesmania wrote:As long as it's a separate mod and the tutorial maps are in the vault, I think we're good.
Although come to think of it, I assume voice files are specific to each and every tutorial? I assume we'd like to download these per map, do we want to just pack it with the map itself? I'd have to check if it's supported already or if we'd have to download it separately. Of course, we could just download them as a resource from the vault, too, though we'd have to figure out some versioning scheme for them.

If I'm not mistaken, that's all supported. When speed fixed up all of the vanilla voices, they were all downloaded at once instead of per mission.
JJ173

Postby JJ173 » 14 Feb 2018, 14:43

Wesmania wrote:As long as it's a separate mod and the tutorial maps are in the vault, I think we're good.

I'll be making a modified duplicate of our coop mod this weekend for the tutorials so we can get this up and running. I've got to add some videos and voices to the first tutorial in the OP so it's ready for deployment. I'll let you know when it's ready. Is the plan still green?
JJ173

Postby Wesmania » 14 Feb 2018, 17:18

Sure thing, at least for the develop branch. We'll see about backporting it into stable depending on complexity - worst case scenario, we'll only put a static document up for stable.
Wesmania
Contributor

Postby speed2 » 14 Feb 2018, 19:08

JJ173 wrote:

I'll be making a modified duplicate of our coop mod this weekend for the tutorials so we can get this up and running. I've got to add some videos and voices to the first tutorial in the OP so it's ready for deployment. I'll let you know when it's ready. Is the plan still green?

You mean you'll be making this? https://github.com/speed2CZ/faf-tutorials cause it already exists together with all the instructions of what needs to be done https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dZS ... lpsdp4smxi
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions