FAF Tutorials Proposal

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: FAF Tutorials Proposal

Postby JJ173 » 04 Feb 2018, 03:20

Hey all,

The first tutorial has been published ready for beta testing and feedback in the OP. Please let me know what you think.
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Postby Wesmania » 04 Feb 2018, 15:32

Heaven dropped me a link to his tutorial playlist, might be of use:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fn6i6ipnaS
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby JJ173 » 05 Feb 2018, 14:01

Wesmania wrote:Heaven dropped me a link to his tutorial playlist, might be of use:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fn6i6ipnaS

Yeah I'd say Heaven's and a few others would be good. I want to provide a diagram soon of how I'd like the tab to look if that's okay...I'm curious of how we can show links to videos as well as scenarios that new users can play through. Check OP, you'll find a new tutorial map that I'd like putting in when we have some time. I'm assuming a slight modification to the tutorial tab will allow players to launch these scenarios like coop?
JJ173

Postby Farmsletje » 05 Feb 2018, 15:42

Com & BC will make a tutorial how not to get banned together.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Wesmania » 05 Feb 2018, 17:33

JJ173 wrote:I'm assuming a slight modification to the tutorial tab will allow players to launch these scenarios like coop?

Unfortunately not, since game launching code was written with multiplayer games and joining lobbies in mind and would require refactors to launch single player scenarios.
Wesmania
Contributor

Postby Exotic_Retard » 05 Feb 2018, 18:00

could you give a bit more details on that? we have ladder games which launch right into the match, we have lobbies which launch and support 1 player, and we used to have a function for launching tutorial replays
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Wesmania » 05 Feb 2018, 19:17

Right now the only place from which the game is run is a handle_game_launch method in _clientwindow.py, which reacts to a message sent from the server. Auto lobby launching from ladder is hacked in there, and there are also some connectivity checks and extra arguments which are unnecessary or undesired for a locally launched game. That would have to be refactored. Also, we'd have to check if a game launching doesn't cause any undesired side effects, since other parts of the code may expect every launched game to be an online game (and try to do stuff like reporting game results, for example).

We'd also need a delivery method for the scenarios. I guess we can leverage mods for this, the same way it's done for the coop "mod".
Wesmania
Contributor

Postby JJ173 » 05 Feb 2018, 20:03

Wesmania wrote:Right now the only place from which the game is run is a handle_game_launch method in _clientwindow.py, which reacts to a message sent from the server. Auto lobby launching from ladder is hacked in there, and there are also some connectivity checks and extra arguments which are unnecessary or undesired for a locally launched game. That would have to be refactored. Also, we'd have to check if a game launching doesn't cause any undesired side effects, since other parts of the code may expect every launched game to be an online game (and try to do stuff like reporting game results, for example).

We'd also need a delivery method for the scenarios. I guess we can leverage mods for this, the same way it's done for the coop "mod".

I mean how would it work if you were to say...send the mission files from the server to the client? Isn't that what coop does?
JJ173

Postby Wesmania » 05 Feb 2018, 21:03

Coop is implemented through a "coop" mod. We can add a similar "tutorial" mod that can work its magic in a similar way. I think there won't be trouble integrating this into the client, and the delivery method is already there.
Wesmania
Contributor

Postby speed2 » 05 Feb 2018, 21:48

Wesmania wrote:Coop is implemented through a "coop" mod. We can add a similar "tutorial" mod that can work its magic in a similar way. I think there won't be trouble integrating this into the client, and the delivery method is already there.

Some description of what needs to be done https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dZS ... vgYIDYGPY/
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions