FAF Tutorials Proposal

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: FAF Tutorials Proposal

Postby JJ173 » 01 Feb 2018, 01:12

Wesmania wrote:
JJ173 wrote:
Wesmania wrote:I can whip up some simplest tutorial tab, with just a set of links and descriptions, much like it's done right now. Give me content to put inside (anyhow formatted) and I'll get it done. We can put it in a stable 0.16.2 release as well, since it's a very simple change.

Amazing, can you do it like the coop tab and launch missions in a sense?

I'm afraid this could require some changes to game launching, and we'd have to figure out a way to distribute the tutorial missions. It's doable, but it's not something that can be done on the spot. I think getting something done fast is a better first step.

Well speed2 has some build order tutorials that can go in when the voices are done for them, could we use those to get that feature operational?
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Postby Rowey » 02 Feb 2018, 23:28

Up To date videos on how units work would be great but the thing is with new balance patch coming out videos can become quite outdate quickly with the stats for example the mini serise brnk has on his channel was make in 2015 and the stats on that video will be out of date compaired to now so they are not geting the most upto date infomation.
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby Wesmania » 03 Feb 2018, 00:07

That's something to consider, but things like basic build orders and strategies will get dated very slowly.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby Mach » 03 Feb 2018, 03:09

about those tutorials, thought there could be very short videos built in client on tutorial tab showing what each type of unit does, quick video showing how to use split attack, how to micro each unit, short video showing build order like how league of legends shows video on every ability of a hero without having to play it (completely done on client, no opening browser needed), this could show info quickly without having to open youtube and watch tutorial after tutorial which while useful seems kind of cheap for so simple things

videos ofc would need to be downloaded which would increase client download times so having client only download it if player wants to (tick in install wizard, download option in tutorial tab after downloading it doesnt need to again and it just plays video) would be useful

as client updates so do download links for videos so we never have outdated tutorial videos showing in client like this
Mach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Mach

Postby nrader » 03 Feb 2018, 12:11

Wesmania wrote:I can whip up some simplest tutorial tab, with just a set of links and descriptions, much like it's done right now. Give me content to put inside (anyhow formatted) and I'll get it done. We can put it in a stable 0.16.2 release as well, since it's a very simple change.

Well,how about combining faction-specific text guides(and also a generic one) in wiki
and some youtube tutorials playlist to not spam links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2pTYbY-W58&list=PLxH0oefiZR_VrY6qtvv4iIHfn6i6ipnaS - heaven playlist with tutorials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uPjOxCTEng&index=2&list=PLTEDjzjPnGIoh43j6c2jNIYINPxgJnzoh - speed playlist
Maybe link some of most important videos like BO's directly while describe playlist links as "other tutorials"

Dunno how to organize this adequately, hope others will come up with something.
nrader
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: nrader

Postby JJ173 » 03 Feb 2018, 13:04

I'm happy with videos also but I feel like they lack the interactivity and the risk of becoming out-dated is also a threat where-as something that's more like a mission would auto-update with new patches that are delivered.

Wesmania wrote:That's something to consider, but things like basic build orders and strategies will get dated very slowly.

I'll give you a poke when I have a scenario ready and perhaps we can test it on some local client builds? I'd love to see the tutorial tab populated with a few sections..perhaps even go as far as having videos and the interactive stuff on the same page. Are you on Slack?
JJ173

Postby nrader » 03 Feb 2018, 13:21

JJ173 wrote:I'm happy with videos also but I feel like they lack the interactivity and the risk of becoming out-dated is also a threat where-as something that's more like a mission would auto-update with new patches that are delivered.

I think it's not that critical. After all, tutorials are made for new players that have no idea how to play, mostly. Even if tutorial is a bit outdated, it can still help if the player watching it is low rated anyway.
Plus, no one said links can't be updated if needed, no?
nrader
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: nrader

Postby JJ173 » 03 Feb 2018, 14:49

nrader wrote:
JJ173 wrote:I'm happy with videos also but I feel like they lack the interactivity and the risk of becoming out-dated is also a threat where-as something that's more like a mission would auto-update with new patches that are delivered.

I think it's not that critical. After all, tutorials are made for new players that have no idea how to play, mostly. Even if tutorial is a bit outdated, it can still help if the player watching it is low rated anyway.
Plus, no one said links can't be updated if needed, no?

Personally I wouldn't like the idea of teaching with outdated materials but that's just me. I think using both could work as people learn different ways.
JJ173

Postby Wesmania » 03 Feb 2018, 22:24

Okay guys, quick recap:

There will probably be a server update in two or so weeks, and a stable client update should follow due to rating calculation changes for new players. I'd like to keep changes to the tutorial tab simple because of two reasons:

- Two weeks is not too much time, and much of the work is figuring out the content of the tab (text, links, and videos),
- The stable client is the version that should be guaranteed to work, without any major or chronic errors.

I suggest that for the time being we start with a minimum variant of a static document with links (and optionally images). Fancier stuff can be added later, and in the unstable client rather than in stable.

What I'll need is agreement on what resources to put in that document (text, links, images). Qt can handle a subset of html sufficient for images and rich text, so we can use that to make mockups or ready versions. Work it out and I'll get it inside the client.
I'd also suggest focusing on linking to resources and organizing them in categories rather than pasting them in to avoid overloading people with information.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby JJ173 » 03 Feb 2018, 22:46

Wesmania wrote:Okay guys, quick recap:

There will probably be a server update in two or so weeks, and a stable client update should follow due to rating calculation changes for new players. I'd like to keep changes to the tutorial tab simple because of two reasons:

- Two weeks is not too much time, and much of the work is figuring out the content of the tab (text, links, and videos),
- The stable client is the version that should be guaranteed to work, without any major or chronic errors.

I suggest that for the time being we start with a minimum variant of a static document with links (and optionally images). Fancier stuff can be added later, and in the unstable client rather than in stable.

What I'll need is agreement on what resources to put in that document (text, links, images). Qt can handle a subset of html sufficient for images and rich text, so we can use that to make mockups or ready versions. Work it out and I'll get it inside the client.
I'd also suggest focusing on linking to resources and organizing them in categories rather than pasting them in to avoid overloading people with information.

I'll compose some stuff in a Google Document for you. If you can do it in that time, I might make a news post and allow people to submit videos that they think would be useful for new people until we can start working on the mission scenarios. I've started work on a few missions to post also, but that can wait until a later date if necessary.
JJ173

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions