FAF Tutorials Proposal

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

FAF Tutorials Proposal

Postby JJ173 » 31 Jan 2018, 15:31

Problem
So a discussion occurred in Discord about FAF tutorials and how the client should handle it. Right now, the current state of the client is showing out-of-date links and information that isn't helpful at this point. I've noticed that there are a lot of new players appearing and asking questions like "Hey, how do I do this?" or "What would you recommend I do to learn?". Well, the only materials we have right now are various YouTube tutorials. Don't get me wrong, I certainly agree with the idea of YouTube videos and they have their uses. My main concern with recommending YouTube videos is that there is no interaction and some may now be out-dated. Users may also prefer to learn using in-game tutorials instead of spending hours watching YouTube videos for a game they may or may not stick with.

My Proposal
I've had a few ideas that could work in favor of teaching new players the basics of FA and what they should do to get started. In my eyes, we need to employ some in-game scenarios that would be listed in the tutorials tab in our clients and gives a wide choice of scenarios that new players can launch to play through. The logic of these tutorials would work the same as playing the tutorial provided by the game outside of FAF where Fletcher is teaching you some basic concepts of the game. It's just as easy as making custom missions, and wouldn't take long to create.

How it would work
Right now, speed2 has created a variety of useful build order tutorials that can be added to the tutorials tab. I personally think that other tutorials should be created to follow up on these. I am offering out a solution of which I will work on where we have a list of tutorials that start from the basic of the basics and move through to the advanced stuff.

speed2's work: https://github.com/speed2CZ/faf-tutorials
speed2's preview of work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KceBHI194rI

List of stuff I believe that should be included:
  • Basic tutorials (Covering what to build first, what buildings do, how units work, PVP explanations, etc.).
  • Intermediate tutorials (Covering techning up, developing your economy, fighting some simulated AI to practice unit movements and APM, etc.)
  • Advanced tutorials (Covering recommended build orders for Ladder Maps, offering the chance to fight some harder AI, etc).
It wouldn't take long to create, and if it's done correctly it can offer the chance to teach new players some decent tips so they don't dive in to a PVP game blind. I personally think it's a huge advantage for us to think about that, especially when accommodating for new players. I'm going to work on getting some stuff implemented as soon as possible in collaboration with speed2 and his existing tutorials. If anyone would like to offer any feedback for this idea, feel free. I'm going to start creating these scenarios soon and I will post them here for testing, feedback and improvement suggestions.

Testing
If anyone would like to help with testing, let me know. I will post progress updates here also.

Tutorials Ready For Testing
These missions can be tested by dropping the files here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps
To play them, host a regular coop game on the FAF client and then switch to the map in the options of your lobby.

Tutorial Previews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3mnsNL6Zu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ8-IJ74xI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOLqUqBhkCw

FAF Tutorial Lesson 1: The Basics: https://mega.nz/#!Np8imQrD!dZKfcy_gFY0T ... sfJLYBe4Ls

Please, let me know what you all think.
Last edited by JJ173 on 27 Mar 2018, 09:58, edited 5 times in total.
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Re: FAF Tutorials Proposal

Postby Lancezh » 31 Jan 2018, 15:37

I suggest an MVP approach, can you maybe make a very basic tutorial the way you think is great and then have people try it so it's more concrete. If i understand it correct some people doubted the technical feasability of a tutorial that can be reset without reloading it etc, just to make those voices go away.

Either way i suggest you start with the basic things as they are probably the easiest to achieve and then we let them run through a couple new people. I would offer to gather feedback from those if that helps to see how new people actually put them to use. Also please add hooks to those tutorials so you can track how many people actually use them.

I would also like to offer my help for actual testing if you wish. The faster the info for new players in the client gets updated / replaced the better.

Thanks a ton for this!
Lancezh

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Lancezh

Postby MobiusBE » 31 Jan 2018, 17:19

Love the idea! I would like to help with testing :). Keep us posted on what we can do!
MobiusBE

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: MobiusBE

Postby JaggedAppliance » 31 Jan 2018, 18:32

There's good stuff here about the tutorial tab: /viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15447
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Mephi » 31 Jan 2018, 18:47

I stopped creating content for the maptutorials, because i saw no point in putting work in something, which might never get integrated. If that problem will be fixed in the somewhat future im up for working on tutorials again. However this will be earliest in march.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby JJ173 » 31 Jan 2018, 19:45

JaggedAppliance wrote:There's good stuff here about the tutorial tab: /viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15447
Indeed, but the tab shouldn't be empty.
JJ173

Postby Medicraze » 31 Jan 2018, 21:17

i could get a video series in there as well
Medicraze
Medicraze

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 72 times
FAF User Name: Medicraze

Postby Wesmania » 01 Feb 2018, 00:28

I can whip up some simplest tutorial tab, with just a set of links and descriptions, much like it's done right now. Give me content to put inside (anyhow formatted) and I'll get it done. We can put it in a stable 0.16.2 release as well, since it's a very simple change.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby JJ173 » 01 Feb 2018, 00:38

Wesmania wrote:I can whip up some simplest tutorial tab, with just a set of links and descriptions, much like it's done right now. Give me content to put inside (anyhow formatted) and I'll get it done. We can put it in a stable 0.16.2 release as well, since it's a very simple change.

Amazing, can you do it like the coop tab and launch missions in a sense?
JJ173

Postby Wesmania » 01 Feb 2018, 01:04

JJ173 wrote:
Wesmania wrote:I can whip up some simplest tutorial tab, with just a set of links and descriptions, much like it's done right now. Give me content to put inside (anyhow formatted) and I'll get it done. We can put it in a stable 0.16.2 release as well, since it's a very simple change.

Amazing, can you do it like the coop tab and launch missions in a sense?

I'm afraid this could require some changes to game launching, and we'd have to figure out a way to distribute the tutorial missions. It's doable, but it's not something that can be done on the spot. I think getting something done fast is a better first step.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Next

Return to General Discussions