RE: FAF Developer Review 2017

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderator: JJ173

Re: RE: FAF Developer Review 2017

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Jan 2018, 18:44

>Everyone plays a mod once a year in tourney
>Play it same way as FAF as zero point in learning cheese for a tourney a year
>autistic shit involving 7 aoe LAB stun on death isnt abused
>people spam tanks and do same shit they do on main balance
>what do you know, people higher ranked win games because they play eq like FAF just like their mirror who also has zero knowledge
>those higher ranked players are more effective in playing that way
>I guess this means it doesnt affect rating

I’m really bothered by this duality of equilibrium where it changes every stat in the game yet somehow preserves faf gameplay. Meanwhile Blackheart is over here having an autistic fit over bomber change and the fact he cant quicc maths how many t1 bombers to kill t2 mex due to hp changes smh.
The best apology is changed behavior
FtXCommando
Evaluator

Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 217 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Jan 2018, 19:10

Also another thing:

What I think upsets people and causes this notion of "coding playground" for FAF is this system where it seems that you require an affirmative defense in order to stop a change from happening. It happened with EQ being rated. It happened with faction colors in game lobby.

The change happens, and rather than having a discussion about whether the change was a good idea, anyone that didn't like it now needs to provide STATISTICS, GAME DATA, HARD FACTS about why this change should be rolled back. The other side can just say "Haha, no, u got no proof and neither do I but the default position is me getting what I want." That's probably the central cause of the idea of [e] privilege because it c o i n c i d e n t a l l y seems to be a problem that comes around with [e] changes.

etc etc "please respect the coders" etc etc
The best apology is changed behavior
FtXCommando
Evaluator

Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 217 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby speed2 » 05 Jan 2018, 19:29

Hat[e]rs gonna hat[e]
speed2
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 522 times
Been liked: 991 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby JaggedAppliance » 05 Jan 2018, 19:47

EQ is not a testing ground for changes to the main patch. No one on the balance team plays EQ. Certain changes which have been made are similar to ones found in EQ but it is not surprising that there can be some overlap in thought in some areas. Many changes in EQ are truly mind boggling, people have the wrong idea if they think the balance team would give much, if any consideration to most of the changes found in that mod.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVukA3 ... xnqxq3YD1g
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 588 times
Been liked: 241 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Farmsletje » 05 Jan 2018, 19:53

speed2 wrote:I'd like to point out that there's no need to argue about this again, seems like no one's gonna change their opinions.

Equilibrium was made a featured mod. That led to quite a roar in the community, which eventually wore out.

kappa
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Evaluator

Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 318 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Steel_Panther » 06 Jan 2018, 02:59

BRNKoINSANITY wrote:since there are maybe a dozen replays per day in the vault that use the mod, and almost all of those are single players hosting many times, and these players overwhelmingly unranked or very low rank. I don't even see replays from the mod creators playing their own mod

So you suggest EQ is practically unplayed, but it's still a big deal that it's ranked. Ok...
Steel_Panther
Crusader

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Steel_Panther

Postby Evildrew » 06 Jan 2018, 14:31

Seems more like the underlying problem is that the ideological philosophy goes along the line of doing something is always better than doing nothing with no regard to gathering feedback from the player base to justify the validity of said changes outside of a small group of "friends" who us their voting rights in dev calls as bargaining chips to build voting-support-capital to call upon when they want to push for a change on their part. While seeking confirmation bias and receiving it from these "friends" may be comforting after spending a lot of time on something it is not the appropriate measure to use when deciding whether changes are good or bad. Should the player councilor not be gathering feedback from the player base in regards to what developers are doing? I thought this was the main purpose of that position. Yet I see no surveys, questionnaires, stats derived from such that give any indication whether what is being done, especially in regards to the main game, is enhancing user experience.
One may argue that some players (especially the salty mircropenised 20-year-olds who think that the size of their rating defines their value in community) are happy to see good players stop playing due to dissatisfaction about the enjoyability of the game because then they will be higher ranked once those accounts are gone, but it has to be said , every time the product (the game) is changed, it is like starting from 0.

I think however another issue here that is clearly visible to those who dare to open their eyes is that Brnko, Gyle and that Russian guy (whose name I dont know) are viewed as probably the main promotional outlets to bring in new players since FAF developers in charge dont appear to think that promotion is important and that players will spawn out of nowhere, While Gyle being in the clutches of his woman may not put out as much as he used to to promote FAF and also does this for his income rather than promotion (totally understandable especially at this point), such is life...

Relationships between what can be considered promotion and production needs to be better for FAF to be great again and attract more players. Only valuing developers work and having to be on some unintuitive platforms is just not the way forward. Marketing clearly is a failure.
Evildrew

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Evildrew

Postby Franck83 » 06 Jan 2018, 16:08

In nearly every strategy game, balance is a complex and empiric subject. Players tend to find any small trick or issue in the balance to take an advantage. And there are near no consensus on balance choices. Because it breaks some unwanted strategy.

But the more important is that people are coding something because they love this game. They want to increase fun. Love and passion are behind initiatives, and same feelings behind other people want everything stay the same.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Priest

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Franck

Postby Gorton » 06 Jan 2018, 16:11

Evildrew wrote:
I think however another issue here that is clearly visible to those who dare to open their eyes is that Brnko, Gyle and that Russian guy (whose name I dont know) are viewed as probably the main promotional outlets to bring in new players since FAF developers in charge dont appear to think that promotion is important and that players will spawn out of nowhere, While Gyle being in the clutches of his woman may not put out as much as he used to to promote FAF and also does this for his income rather than promotion (totally understandable especially at this point), such is life...
Relationships between what can be considered promotion and production needs to be better for FAF to be great again and attract more players. Only valuing developers work and having to be on some unintuitive platforms is just not the way forward. Marketing clearly is a failure.

I'm not inclined to answer all of this post, but this is not the problem.
We gain lots of people a day. Last 24 hours is something like 80.
About half don't seem to play a game.
Those that do, only a few of them play more than one game. Say about 20.

Retention is and should be considered more important. This in itself part of marketing and stuff like casts, and we obviously want to attract people interested in this sort of game.

However, all suggestions for marketing are appreciated. How do you think it should be done?
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton

Has liked: 939 times
Been liked: 390 times
FAF User Name: [VoR]Gorton

Postby Evildrew » 06 Jan 2018, 19:26

Retention is low because there is no on-boarding process, that means there is no welcome section or messages, or links to video tutorials for new players giving them a succinct explanation how it works and what it is about. This has been mentioned on many occasions. Even though we know how to host and play a game after figuring it out, others who are new dont have a clue.

So there is my answer how to complete the player growth strategy.

1) Marketing with casts or play together streams by people doing multiple games is a good way, this is what Gyle and Brnko are doing but is not appreciated for what it is worth.
2) Once people download and register an account there needs to be as I said an on-boarding process so people feel welcome and are assisted in getting started. A section on the website and client plus getting started videos would fill this. New players need to be aware of connectivity issues so they dont join the game and find themselves being the issue and told to go leave. This needs to be properly explained so they dont go away because of a bad experience due to known issues.
Letting them know it takes time to learn the game and not melt completely will comfort those who leave because of bad performance at the start.

That will probably be enough to reduce the number of people who create an account and never play and also those who stop after the first game.
Evildrew

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Evildrew

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions