M&M Councillor and Map Vault Cleanse

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

M&M Councillor and Map Vault Cleanse

Postby speed2 » 19 Dec 2017, 12:24

Yesterday I applied for the last empty councillor position, you can find my thoughts, ideas and plans for the future there:

The Map and Mod councillor position

Today 18.12. there's scheduled server update that will go with a moderator client update as well. One of the features will be to unrate and hide maps from the vault. It will be available for moderators right now as it was the easiest way of implementing it right now.

With that I'd like to apply for the map and mod coucillor position. I wanted to improve the content of the vault for a long time already, since the first ideas of the council was presented. And with this update I will be able to start doing so.

As you know the vault is flooded with broken versions of failed update attemps or bad versioning of the same map. Hiding maps like that will be a good start. Also there are still some "cheat" maps with eneven reclaim.

Why am I the right one for the positions?
I know a lot aboout both maps and mods. I've created couple of maps myself, rewrote the map making wiki tutorials to make it more accessible for others, put together map tools with proper guide on how to install them and with solving common problems. I know a lot about the official map editor and how to use it. I'm also active on the mapping subforum, helping other with their problems with maps or the editor and giving feedback on how to improve their maps. Lately Im helping ozonex to tune up his new FAF map editor as well.

When it comes to mods I have quite an experience with them as well. Starting with maintaining and improving the Coop mod for 2 years now, then contributing to the game code and writing several small test mods for the game.

Other things to do is to improve communication between everyone who wants to work either on maps or mods. I've already set up #maps channel on slack for the mappers. But since we don't have a slack history anymore it will probably get moved to the Discord. Similar thing would be good to make for modders as well. In near future I plan to improve the guides on modding, doing some small example mods available together with some nice documentation and wiki guides.

I hope this sums up my will to help improving things in this area. I wasn't waiting for any official position to do already quite a lot of things, but with the upcoming ability to clean the vaults I think it would be best to have a officially assigned (since there as a plan for this position). So if you think Im suitable for the position I'd be happy to take it.

speed2
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Re: M&M Councillor and Map Vault Cleanse

Postby Brutus5000 » 19 Dec 2017, 13:40

I vote for speed2 as vault janitor :mrgreen:

The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby Mad`Mozart » 19 Dec 2017, 13:46

I dont trust this guy :?
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby speed2 » 19 Dec 2017, 14:39

Mad`Mozart wrote:I dont trust this guy :?

I'd welcome if you could be constructive for a change and said your reasons why you think I'm not good for this position.
speed2
Contributor

Postby Morax » 19 Dec 2017, 14:45

Looking forward to a vault that is not littered with poor content.

Good luck in your new role and hope it improves things as planned.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Cuddles » 19 Dec 2017, 17:41

So it might be obvious, why do we need a councillor position to clean up vaults, can't any mod do it?
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby TheKoopa » 19 Dec 2017, 17:44

So are we having elections or
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby speed2 » 19 Dec 2017, 17:53

Cuddles wrote:So it might be obvious, why do we need a councillor position to clean up vaults, can't any mod do it?

You could ask the same question about other councillors as well. But at the end you need someone who will make decisions.

Also this was one of the suggested spots. Now that we have first tools I think it would be good to fill it finally to show that things are happening.

TheKoopa wrote:So are we having elections or

Right now it doesn't look like elections, I dont know if there are any candidates or if anyone else asked for the position.

Since I was doing quite a lot of relased things already, I decided to ask for this position now that I have a tools as well.
speed2
Contributor

Postby Farmsletje » 19 Dec 2017, 17:58

I'm happy as long as someone is happy to clean up the trash in the map vault :3

incoming trash joke about eridani
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby jackherer » 19 Dec 2017, 20:07

I have one objection, buy yourself a new mic, you cant be a faf councilor if you dont have a decent mic
jackherer

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Jackherer

Next

Return to General Discussions