M&M Councillor and Map Vault Cleanse

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: M&M Councillor and Map Vault Cleanse

Postby biass » 26 Dec 2017, 10:09

Last post was never intended as a personal insult, now you've made it one. Not only that but you're completely shut down what is a legitimate point about the topic of focus and you continue to do so in the posts below, a very typical faf move.
Thanks a lot, dude.
Last edited by biass on 26 Dec 2017, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 26 Dec 2017, 10:10

suggesting people do stuff for their CV instead of their personal enjoyment/love for the community is an insult

maybe my english is just bad/i assume too much but "entry for our programming resume" sounds like he does it for his own gain
please correct me if that was just a bad assumption - in that case i'm sorry
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby biass » 26 Dec 2017, 10:17

PhilipJFry wrote:maybe my english is just bad/i assume too much but "entry for our programming resume" sounds like he does it for his own gain
please correct me if that was just a bad assumption - in that case i'm sorry

I was suggesting we make sure to keep our focus in the other direction and not implying that a user(s) currently do this. So yes, you did make a bad assumption, derailed the line of thought and probably blocked off any discussion on the relevant topic. So again; thanks.

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby PhilipJFry » 26 Dec 2017, 10:25

sry i just jumped a train there - my bad

about
Players are starting to feel that choices are not being made in the right direction, and if you consider that right or wrong, they still do, because we haven't told them why it's the correct path properly.

it's not easy to tell what the "players" think and what to do to please them
one of the things that are being demanded the most is better/less complicated connectivity which is actively being worked on same goes for map diversity; tools are in the works/already in use to a certain extent to curate the map vault - next step would be a client side implementation for featured maps to promote new/good maps

a lot of other things like GW or ladder divisions would require someone to work on the python server (which is not happening atm) or to get rid of the python server and implement the java server (again something that brutus is working on) but that requires ICE to be implemented as well

people are working on stuff that is needed but everyone does it in their free time so it takes a while
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby biass » 26 Dec 2017, 10:33

PhilipJFry wrote:it's not easy to tell what the "players" think and what to do to please them

We have a way to help do this one, but it's currently stuck somewhere in Erangel; we might need another one.

About map promotions, we already have a nice way to do this, i talked about this in my application, here: http://bit.ly/2BHlNFb
Another way to do that is to provide a lower tier avatar to players who play/host a certain amount of a promoted map each week/month, might be something to talk about.

I'm more focused on solutions we can apply without the need for code, "we need someone to code it" is too heavy a variable to put into problems i actually want solved.
Just like reducing the starting rating for new players was shunned in favor of a system overhaul, that didn't ever see the light of day.

biass
Contributor

Postby speed2 » 26 Dec 2017, 10:54

But you need code for that. Promoting maps, sure you can post it on what's new page, but how many ppl read it? Not so many and it can't stay there as the first news forever. You would need the client to suggest them to play the map. Then there's no way of finiding out who actually played on said map unless they tell you, then you need to check it, and avatars wont be given automatically either.
So while the idea is good, it still requires coding.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby biass » 26 Dec 2017, 11:01

speed2 wrote:Promoting maps, sure you can post it on what's new page, but how many ppl read it?

Quite a few, surprisingly, look at how many new maps appeared after the editor was advertised recently?

You would need the client to suggest them to play the map.

We don't after the aforementioned post, and little additions like advertising on QAI (which technically is code, but) help, but client automated suggestions can wait until later.

Then there's no way of finiding out who actually played on said map unless they tell you

You make a forum thread and tell them to post replays there, we already have a quick way to load avatars using ids and quickly scrubbing 10 or so games for a few seconds won't take too long, especially if the challenge was hosted by a team of TD's

and avatars wont be given automatically either.

If we have the thread, and written approval from host/TD, all that is needed is to ask a mod and provide the post with proof, same as how any other avatar is given.

the idea is good

appreciate it

biass
Contributor

Postby speed2 » 26 Dec 2017, 11:10

moonbearonmeth wrote:
Exotic_Retard wrote:i think you are just an unknown right now

I get that a lot

Exotic_Retard wrote:if you got this job it could be good or you could lose interest and just flop, and i dunno which one will happen, which is why i would go for the safer choice of speed. no hard feelings fam, you really did help when i asked you to <3

Yeah it would be a damn shame if someone were to get a position like this then get super obsessed with another game.

biass wrote:
PhilipJFry wrote:it's not easy to tell what the "players" think and what to do to please them

We have a way to help do this one, but it's currently stuck somewhere in Erangel; we might need another one.

I like how you are all complaing about Tokyto doing bad job, but so far I haven't seen anyone step out and say: I'd do it better and here's why...
or even better, start doing something.

Which only suggest that non of you is able to do anything. And you are here just to rant, and surely that's the way of improving things.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Mad`Mozart » 26 Dec 2017, 11:17

So is there going to be a voting or something? And is it going to be one where players vote, or some low key contributor/councillor one?
Cause i'd really like to vote for biass now. He seems like the most down to earth guy among the crowd who i feel mostly care about coding and pursuing their own goals (which then they present as first priority things players absolutely need). And the reason is very simple. Ever since Zep was purged, all these people suddenly appeared. Sheeo, brutus, theduke, etc (im sorry i forgot other names) - i never saw them before yet i played the game game quite a lot. They dont really play the game but they code. And i find it very ironic when in every discussion about some feature players would like to have there's always someone from the "contributor" camp saying that "its cool but we need someone to code it".
I really feel like it would be best to have more people who still actually play the game and are active part of the community in the council. Maybe it will stir things up a bit, cause for a good while i feel that FAF has become a coding playground rather than a place for people to play the game.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby PhilipJFry » 26 Dec 2017, 11:35

we don't say "its cool but we need someone to code it" because we dislike ideas but because you need someone to realize these visions

i can ramble about there being no peace in the middle east on the internet very easily but that won't change the fact that there isn't one

most of these contributors who are now in a prominent position in faf are not top level players/aeolus warriors so you running into them while playing would be unlikely even if you were active right now
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions