Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Postby dstojkov » 09 Nov 2017, 13:07

If the decision makers officially allow and publish a 3599 featured mod, first it will be a sign of good will and justice to make the old player's claim be acknowledged second I will envolve myself to work on a community based fix bugs mod( no balance change)
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Re: Call for a web based platform

Postby biass » 09 Nov 2017, 13:08

Downlord wrote:@biass

It started with me suggesting Dstojkov to contribute to FAF instead of working on his own thing. Then Jackherer came up with many wrong claims about FAF, to which I was replying to in this post. This post isn't as much about Dstojkov's lobby rather than it is to explain to jackherer why things in FAF are like they are, and that it is not as bad as he (and various other people) thinks it is. I should've chosen a different title, I guess.

It's not about "my thing is better then urs". It just makes me sad to see someone with programming skills and his endurance working for 4 years on a project only so that nobody has any interest in it, and probably will never have (at least, far from a critical mass of people). If that effort was put into FAF instead, he could've contributed a lot by now and we could progress faster. Where would we be if we had 10 developers, each one working on their own isolated system? We are too small, and thus need to work together. Every man counts.

@TheKoopa a new system won't fix the skill problem, either.

this was also the post that earned the rename from the stock one taken from dsto's thread,
normally i disapprove of people calling people who disagree with them "uninformed" but please read the topic before continuing.
As for ontopic posts, i already wrote my piece, if you want to discuss stuff then rebut off of that post or something.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby IceDreamer » 09 Nov 2017, 13:12

dstojkov wrote:If the decision makers officially allow and publish a 3599 featured mod, first it will be a sign of good will and justice to make the old player's claim be acknowledged second I will envolve myself to work on a community based fix bugs mod( no balance change)

I can safely say that '3599' as it was back in the day, meaning all the code, will never be brought to FAF.

Speaking personally however, I am not against people trying to make a branch of the current game, and shifting the balance back to 3599.

@dstojkov - It would be better for you to start with FAF and work back in the unit blueprints and removing things like engiemod code, rather than starting with 3599 and making a 'Bugfix mod', because it avoids doing the harder work (the bugfixes) twice. This way you get modern FAF's stability and features, with 3599's gameplay, which I believe is the ideal position from your point of view?

If you were to start such an effort, I would be happy to lend my expertise on the code side and point you to various things which would need to be done.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby dstojkov » 09 Nov 2017, 13:18

The thing is faf isn t stable enough. Hard work has never afraid me at all. That is why I asked for a featured mod btw
having thus a clean base to work on
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby IceDreamer » 09 Nov 2017, 13:22

You need to dispel that illusion mate. Some things are opinions. Some things are not.

The FAF platform (Server/DB/Client) is both more stable than ever before, more stable than GPGnet was, and is more stable than your own system (at the present time).

The FAF version of the game is many, many times more stable than at any point in the past.

Both of these are objective facts. They can be measured.

Working from 3599 and making a bugfix patch will be many times more work than taking FAF and making a 3599 balance + gameplay branch, trust me.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby dstojkov » 09 Nov 2017, 13:34

IceDreamer wrote:You need to dispel that illusion mate. Some things are opinions. Some things are not.

This is all about it

IceDreamer wrote:The FAF platform (Server/DB/Client) is both more stable than ever before, more stable than GPGnet was, and is more stable than your own system (at the present time).

stable as gpgnet was not a big deal ... but to compare with it mine is another story. When I upload a new featured mod or release a new version of it works straight when did you had a single patch that worked at the first release ? :?

Now I don t know how to create a featured mod on faf. What is the code base for it from the lua point of view ? I hope this is not the current vesrion of faf then featured mod are not first citizen feature like Downlord pretended
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby IceDreamer » 09 Nov 2017, 13:39

You've not been paying enough attention :)

Since you're talking about patch deployment as your biggest complaint: We have a working deployment API. This means that when I (Or a featured modder) pushes a change to deployment on GitHub, it is automatically deployed on the server. There is some processing involved, but it's usually completed in about 30 seconds. There are some issues. The way the files are laid out is still silly and will be changed in future, and deployment sometimes breaks if the pusher does something wrong, but all in all it's very functional. Aside from the last patch (Which took a while because the recent server hardware move led to a configuration error in the deployment API), the last two dozen game patches have been deployed without a hitch.

If you PM me, I'll tell you how you can get started with this project.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby dstojkov » 09 Nov 2017, 13:46

I am back home this week. I ll pm you then. let s see how long it will take to get a 3599 featured mod running
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby PhilipJFry » 09 Nov 2017, 13:48

you might wanna start with getting a regular sim mod that works like 3599 in terms of balance
whether or not it will become a featured mod is a different issue entirely
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby dstojkov » 09 Nov 2017, 13:54

PhilipJFry wrote:you might wanna start with getting a regular sim mod that works like 3599 in terms of balance
whether or not it will become a featured mod is a different issue entirely

I already have done it in Zep time. I am not interessed in doing a sim mod again. Just want to give it a go since faf is now a featured mod hoster then lets see how good it is at it
dstojkov
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions