Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Postby FtXCommando » 15 Nov 2017, 09:59

Tree groups are probably the most byzantine thing stated in this thread due to energy reclaim being difficult to plan for until you have a solid "feel" for the value of groups. However I'm not really sure how it could be changed without turning sentoners into FAF ISIS.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby JoonasTo » 15 Nov 2017, 11:26

It's very simple actually, you just go around and fix every map in existence to only have groups of trees and remove the ones that break upon commander teleport at the start of the match.

It's just a hell of a lot of boring ass work.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby PsychoBoB » 15 Nov 2017, 11:55

I know it was discussed already but why not make treegroups unbreakable with deactivating collisions? Would this work automatically for all maps?

(BTW no collisions would be nice for engies too. I know discussed and rejectet as well but this would made some parts of the game simpler too without changing the overall mechanics. I think one of the arguments where that it looks weird but planes behave similar and there it's accepted... ;) )
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby ZLO_RD » 15 Nov 2017, 12:13

PsychoBoB wrote:I know it was discussed already but why not make treegroups unbreakable with deactivating collisions? Would this work automatically for all maps?

(BTW no collisions would be nice for engies too. I know discussed and rejectet as well but this would made some parts of the game simpler too without changing the overall mechanics. I think one of the arguments where that it looks weird but planes behave similar and there it's accepted... ;) )

some maps have singular trees, or mix of singular and groups. You will have to change map to fix that.

in this context, no collisions means, no collisions between engies and trees, just making that clear, cause removeing collision between engies would be a pretty big change.

and removeing collisions between engies and trees is also a weird move, it will allow for new kind of BS build orders with insane of amount tree reclaim AND for counter-builds with a goal of rushing scouts in and breaking tree groups. Breaking enemy trees is already a thing and even became part of metagame on setons (and maybe on open zeta), and if you make tree group reclaiming easyer people will rely on it, and breaking enemy trees would be even more effective cause of it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby PsychoBoB » 15 Nov 2017, 12:26

ZLO_RD wrote:and removeing collisions between engies and trees is also a weird move, it will allow for new kind of BS build orders with insane of amount tree reclaim AND for counter-builds with a goal of rushing scouts in and breaking tree groups. Breaking enemy trees is already a thing and even became part of metagame on setons (and maybe on open zeta), and if you make tree group reclaiming easyer people will rely on it, and breaking enemy trees would be even more effective cause of it.

I would remove tree collisions for all units. So breaking tree groups isn't longer a thing neither for me nor my opponent.

(Have you played test games without engie collision? What would be the big impact? Sure, clumps of engies would be much more vulnerable to e.g. bombers.)
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby speed2 » 15 Nov 2017, 12:32

I'm pretty sure that tree groups is not Why FAF has been progressing slowly

I sense the end of this thread, looks like everything that was on topic was said (or lost among the tree groups)
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Previous

Return to General Discussions