Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Why FAF has been progressing slowly (renamed)

Postby Morax » 13 Nov 2017, 08:17

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:
Morax wrote:If you were someone I encountered in ladder and team games often I would respect your opinion, but part of my decision to commit less time to making content for this game is because of a bad player base.

Respecting opinions of people because they spend a lot of time playing SupCom is the dumbest attitude I've seen for a long while :lol:

So ranting and raving on a message board with no interaction with the game it is based on is not dumb? You come in here, tell some big story about why you don't like this and that, then you respond to my "who are you" with one of the most terrible responses conceived in this thread.

Good luck being pro at Supp Comm because you are top 50 in other ones and then writing how some of the core elements of this game are stupid like tree or rock reclaim.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Endranii » 13 Nov 2017, 15:17

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:
Morax wrote:If you were someone I encountered in ladder and team games often I would respect your opinion, but part of my decision to commit less time to making content for this game is because of a bad player base.

Respecting opinions of people because they spend a lot of time playing SupCom is the dumbest attitude I've seen for a long while :lol:

I don't think SupCom is fun because I like to be good at RTS I play. Being good at SupCom (among many other things) means knowing how tree groups work and how to reclaim them, when to click rocks really fast and how to use factory attack move. All those features look like odd quirky design choices of an ageing game to me and I certainly felt like wasting my time when learning them.

Every RTS ever had good players leaving. But maybe FAF could have an easier time growing new ones. I might of course be the only one who stopped playing because of such things but I doubt it.

Didn't want to take my time making a reply here when I already talked about it on slack but what you are saying is at best garbage. Why? Because those quirks are what make FAF a FAF , apart from the scale and really small micro. What you are implying is that those mechanics are bad because they are not present in other games. Well not all games are supposed the same even if such amazing competitive player like you says so. I mean you are top 50 in all rts games of all time so everyone should just do as you say. After all when will you find second person like you with so much experience at being pro in rts games? NO, no, no, no, this is not how it works, games are supposed to be different and use different mechanics even if you don't think they are intuitive at first glance and should be removed for the sake of simplifying things then go ahead and make us a favor and go play next smash hit uber pro consumer Call of duty next iteration of money grab.
Somehow there are other games with such quirky mechanics and they are just fine with them, even though it's the pro's who know how to use them while the pleb have problems using those mechanics. And you don't see ppl screaming on the forums to remove them because they are mechanics of old that only pro players know how to use. Even more so as everyone is able to do it after giving them a second of thought/watching pro plays.And it's the same for supcom, just watch two or three replays of high rated players and you will be more than ready to go and get that 1.4k rating np as long as you know how to use your brain. Also just to name few quirk techniques used in other games there are climbing/shooting outside view range/double bush in WoT or scannning/wallbanging in CS series and you don't see ppl butt hurt about them even though they make even less sense than FAF.

Regarding respecting other ppl opinions 'cuz they are playing the game. Isn't it natural to respect opinion of someone who is actually playing the game instead of some no name on forum's who's not even bothered to use his in game nickname? Also regarding your competitiveness, at best it sound's funny considering those games you played have nothing to do with what you are trying to do here and now. It's FAF not some Starcraft/LOL/CoH. For some reason I'm not going around forum here trying to prove my points by saying how I was competitively playing WoT and actually earning money doing so. Why? 'Cuz it have nothing to do with how I play here, and what I am meaning to this community so next time please shove those top 50 uber pro level player arguments beep beep beep beep.

censored by Scruffy the janitor, please stay nice
Endranii

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Empty_Spot

Postby tatsu » 13 Nov 2017, 16:15

missquote?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Farmsletje » 13 Nov 2017, 17:25

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:I don't think SupCom is fun because I like to be good at RTS I play. Being good at SupCom (among many other things) means knowing how tree groups work and how to reclaim them, when to click rocks really fast and how to use factory attack move. All those features look like odd quirky design choices of an ageing game to me and I certainly felt like wasting my time when learning them.

"Being good at AoE means knowing how sheep work and how to get them to your base. This feature looks like an odd quirky design choice of an ageing game."

Dansgame

you can easily get in the top 50 ("good at suppcom"?) anyway without using manual reclaim on reclaim below 30 mass, so your point doesn't make any sense.

And you don't have to learn such a feature. You need to put it in practice which is something different.

Supcom already has a very low apm requirement compared to other rts games. This isn't neccesarily bad but it does make supcom less competitive. Given that the current amount of 'pro's' on supcom is already very small i think that lowering the skill ceiling (for higher lvl players) would be a very bad idea.

As for non competitive players: They wouldnt' care less. You can easily reach 1500 rating without every manually reclaiming small rocks. And people who do try to reclaim often neglect more important things.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Tex » 13 Nov 2017, 18:00

60 APM represent....

*sobs quietly into corner*
"It doesn't matter if you win or lose, just that you play a beautiful game."

My channel --POV gameplay-- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMfEJdmVXE6jBSuMEezEldQ
Tex

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Tex

Postby Morax » 13 Nov 2017, 18:14

On topic though, who wants to develop for a game that has so many people saying things like this? I don't think I could ever spend too serious a time when it's "gap of Rohan Forever" verse "Forged Alliance Forever."

It's just dull and uninteresting... The main feedback received on my map "maridia" has been that "it's beautiful but too difficult to play..." That left me with like little motivation to continue on at a better pace and rendered map creation to a "eh, when I feel like it, because most people will just play gap and not care anyways."

That's a major reason FaF sucks to develop and why people just want to play it. The majority player base is miserable...
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby JoonasTo » 13 Nov 2017, 18:56

Morax wrote:On topic though, who wants to develop for a game that has so many people saying things like this? I don't think I could ever spend too serious a time when it's "gap of Rohan Forever" verse "Forged Alliance Forever."

It's just dull and uninteresting... The main feedback received on my map "maridia" has been that "it's beautiful but too difficult to play..." That left me with like little motivation to continue on at a better pace and rendered map creation to a "eh, when I feel like it, because most people will just play gap and not care anyways."

That's a major reason FaF sucks to develop and why people just want to play it. The majority player base is miserable...

Now don't you let a couple of noobs bring you down. There's still others who appreciate good maps.
Who knows, one day they might come to be better at this game and play Maridia :D

EDIT speed2: Be happy for such nice feedback, better than when you hear just "cancer"
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby Franck83 » 13 Nov 2017, 19:13

Yes JoonasTo is right Morax. Focus on the one who love your work. And there are. There are some high quality people here giving help and tech support .

What you're saying tell us a lesson : most of the time a little look at other's work and a gentle comment is just what the dev community needs to stay motivated.
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 13 Nov 2017, 21:00

Farmsletje wrote:
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:I don't think SupCom is fun because I like to be good at RTS I play. Being good at SupCom (among many other things) means knowing how tree groups work and how to reclaim them, when to click rocks really fast and how to use factory attack move. All those features look like odd quirky design choices of an ageing game to me and I certainly felt like wasting my time when learning them.

"Being good at AoE means knowing how sheep work and how to get them to your base. This feature looks like an odd quirky design choice of an ageing game."

Dansgame

you can easily get in the top 50 ("good at suppcom"?) anyway without using manual reclaim on reclaim below 30 mass, so your point doesn't make any sense.

And you don't have to learn such a feature. You need to put it in practice which is something different.

Supcom already has a very low apm requirement compared to other rts games. This isn't neccesarily bad but it does make supcom less competitive. Given that the current amount of 'pro's' on supcom is already very small i think that lowering the skill ceiling (for higher lvl players) would be a very bad idea.

As for non competitive players: They wouldnt' care less. You can easily reach 1500 rating without every manually reclaiming small rocks. And people who do try to reclaim often neglect more important things.

Thank you for your constructive manner of arguing.

The problem is, I am a perfectionist. I don't want to learn how to do good builds without manual small rock reclaim/tree reclaim if I know doing it is the optimal way.
Things like factory attack move are especially punishing for new players because the order is lost when you fail to balance your eco (so you are doubly screwed).

I get that every veteran learned the game with those features in place and probably thinks it is a natural part of the game. But looking in from the outside, I think the game would be more fun if you had to spend less time on learning those intricacies. If you fear that would dumb down the skill ceiling, there are other ways to increase it. More micro opportunities for example. Make good lab play more rewarding, so people spend more time clicking units and less time clicking trees and rocks. Less reclaim on wrecks could also help to promote more attacking and raiding.

@Endranii: I won't bother to quote that typerrhea, nobody want's to see text like that a second time. I do have a FAF account with the same name as my forum one and I did play the game. It is around 1000 rated (50 games spread over 6 months), team and ladder.
And yeah, some people say that only being able to select 12 units, or each HT in range casting storm when you click it with a selected group are what make SCI special and what makes the games skillful. Once you got into SCII though, they feel like old limitations that do not really contribute to core gameplay. SupCom has enough other really unique and interesting gameplay mechanics which are really interesting, it doesn't need breaking tree groups.
Morax wrote:You come in here, tell some big story about why you don't like this and that, then you respond to my "who are you" with one of the most terrible responses conceived in this thread.

You did not ask "who are you". I did not tell some big story. I simply told what bothered me about FAF and made me stop getting into it as I could have been an influx of the type of player you dislike leaving. Answering that with "I don't respect your opinion if I don't encounter you often" is completely beside the point and disparaging on top.

The whole point of mentioning my experiences with other RTS is to say that I might have become the type of player you don't like leaving.

I really like FAF and I still watch. I certainly hope for a bright future of the game. There are tons of posts about how good players leave because of change.
What game mechanics I like or dislike is ofc my own subjective opinion (my choice of words should have made this abundantly clear) and I could just shut up and leave. But maybe more new players think like me. Maybe people would prefer looking forward to learn how to wrecking people with ZLO like lab micro instead of how to not break tree groups doing manual reclaim. So maybe we could talk more about what changes could help the influx of new players (preferably with some ambition, not the dual gap type).
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby PhilipJFry » 13 Nov 2017, 21:14

the thing is that a lot of those quirks you seem to dislike about the game are very dear to a lot of other users

you might remember the thread you made about area commands and the strong opposition to the idea of adding them to the game
a few patches back we also toyed with the idea of removing tree group breaking for engies but that was also not appreciated

your best shot at playing this game with such modifications that finetune the game in a way you desire would be to just use a mod and hope that you get some other people who share your vision of how the game would be more fun instead of forcing it on the rest of the community
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions